Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

Question about Tires

This is one of those dumb questions but I would like to know.

After my experience with my tire blowing out last week and tearing my wiring out I've decided to order a set of Carlisle tires and replace the Load Star tires still on the camper. Most people say the Chinese tires only last about 5 years so I looked and my tires were made in the 16th week in 2012 so that's 5 years.

Since I'll have to order the tires I can't check when they were mfg so I got to thinking even if the tires were mfg several years ago but had never been used and were still new would the 5 year limit still count from mfg date or does the 5 years start when you actually mount them and start using them.

Told you it was dumb but I do that really good.

Thanks

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
llr

I don't think there is a good answer to this. the rubber will start deteriorating from the air, and environment however sun exposure will accelerate it. So tires that were stored in a climate controlled environment for 3 years before mounting may be good past your 5 year number.

also there is no set time period, many people say 3 years at least on the cheap factory tires, personally I will replace the factory tire before they are 3 years old. better tires 5 is probably reasonable
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsa3 View Post
This is one of those dumb questions but I would like to know.
Not a dumb question at all. You might try requesting a more recent build date when you order your tires. Tire Safety: Expiration Dates - eXtension
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Ozone is everywhere (even in a tire warehouse). Ozone deteriorates rubber compounds so like a wet charged battery, tires are aging from the time they come out of the factory.

No tire distributor that I know of keeps their stock in a 'controlled enviroment' There is a huge distribution and warehouse just north of us and it's just that, a warehouse. Not even air conditioned. Thousands of tires in there, all different brands, from Chinese bombs to Michelin, all in racks.

Only 'warehouse' I know of that has a controlled enviroment is Applewood Orchards. Their warehouse is filled with CO2 to retard spoilage of apples.

Tires, no way.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #5

Carlisle just started making their 13in and 14in ST tires in summer of 2016. So worst case, they would be about a year old. They first started showing up in distributor hands in mid-September.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires