Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #1

Question on the Walk Through???

Good Morning Campers

Wednesday I go to Toppers to pick up my camper. They will do a walk through with me.

My questions is during the walkthrough will they actually hook up to shore power and also water to show me everything works or will they just explain HOW everything works with actually doing it?

I printed out the checklist someone posted but then got to wondering if they actually hook everything up.

Wish me luck.
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #2

Wish you luck, only them no how they will do your PDI....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #3

They should hook up to utilities and show you everything works. If they don't ask.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #4

Congrats on your new camper. I would call your dealer ahead of time and tell them you expect to see all systems are operational before you sign anything. That way they can prepare and have the water tank filled, etc.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Professional Curmudgeon

My PDI was performed with shore power and city water hooked up. A small amount of water was put into the tank in order to run the pump.
Fact is, the actual PDI on my camper was performed by the service department before I arrived on the scene. Once I arrived, we did a walk through/demonstration/orientation. If I had been able to find any problems then, they would certainly have been addressed, but I have never been able to find anything they missed.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

X2 on Wiscampsin, that way they will be ready for you. I see you are from Pasadena Tx Misa3. We just come up from there, camped at Kemah for the fifth time. I have a sister in Pasadena.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #7

I would suggest taking it camping right away. Preferably some place close. You will forget to load some things & you might also find some that you really don't use or need to carry along. Set it up & use every thing just to see how they work. There is to much to remember during the walk, maybe take some cell phone pictures as they explain some items. If you can take notes, that will work too.

Have fun camping.

P.S.
After this winter, it might be a good idea to find out how to winterize it.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
RKR

They should have power and waster for you. I'm pretty sure there is a PDI checklist some place here on the forum. If you can't find it Google "RV PDI check list.
Good luck and happy camping.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

Ask alot of questions and don't let them rush you take notes to refer to later on
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #10

I bought both my trailers from the same dealer and his son does the walk throughs. Second time around I told him to slow down and I went through it item by item and didn't move on until I thought I understood all there was to know about each feature.

The first time on my pop up he rushed things a little bit.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsa3 View Post
Good Morning Campers

Wednesday I go to Toppers to pick up my camper. They will do a walk through with me.

My questions is during the walkthrough will they actually hook up to shore power and also water to show me everything works or will they just explain HOW everything works with actually doing it?

I printed out the checklist someone posted but then got to wondering if they actually hook everything up.

Wish me luck.
Good luck. Others have posted excellent advice.

Based on the questions asked here in the forums, I can add:

1.Make sure they explain your water heater, and how to turn it on/off on propane as well as electricity (if equipped with electric heating element). This often get's overlooked.

2. Go over the winterization and dewinterization procedures, especially the water heater bypass valves behind the water heater.

3. If equipped with a canister water filter, get them to show you where it is.

4. If you have slideouts, power awnings, and/or electric stabilizers......get them to show you where the manual crank rods are for them...and how to use them in case of electric failure. Same thing for the power tongue hitch (if equipped).

5. Have them fully explain the propane tanks, and the automatic changeover valve.

It may seem overwhelming to begin with, but take it slow and you'll be a pro in no time.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #12

We also bought from Toppers. Ask questions,only a question not asked is a dumb one. Use a check list. Make a video of the complete walk thru. A great reference down the line. This forum is the greatest source of info after you get gome with your new baby. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #13

On your first trip if you have a friend with a camper have them go camping with you incase you have questions setting up or breaking camp
Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #14

I was also going to suggest video taping the walk-thru but someone beat me to it. Bring along someone else to do the taping and you just concentrate on what's being shown. Have a pad and paper and take notes when needed.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Check everything. A/C, heater, water, water pump, sensors, caulking, etc and even the black tank flush. Make sure everything works BEFORE you sign the papers. If they promise to repair everything AFTER you sign you will be stick with "bring it back and we will fix everything" and the dreaded waiting on your rig for weeks before you get it back.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #16

I bought my 5er in the middle of winter. The dealer told me they dewinterized and tested the water system before I went to pick it up. In the PDI, they did not run water through the system again. Went through everything else with them though.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #17

Just got back from dentist and was surprised to see all of the responses. Wow...you folks are unbelievable..

Just called Toppers and they assured me they would hook everything up and run through it with me to show me how it works and that it does work.

Two more days seems like an eternity. Now if the weather just holds out through next week.

Thanks again.
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #18
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
I bought my 5er in the middle of winter. The dealer told me they dewinterized and tested the water system before I went to pick it up. In the PDI, they did not run water through the system again. Went through everything else with them though.
Ours was winterized when we got there. The PDI un-winterized it for the walk through, then re-winterized it while we watched, before we left.

She's still sitting out there winterized. Not worth it to un-winterize for a weekend shake down, then re-winterize it, so we're waiting...and waiting...and waiting

One thing that bugged me with this purchase is that the PDI guy said "we'll just go over things specific to the 5th wheel since you guys already have experience with TTs". uhhhh NO, you'll go through it all.

Don't let them skip over things or rush you! As others have said, if you feel pushed tell them to slow down. If there's one single solitary button they don't explain, ask them what it's for.

You paid for your new toy and they're paid to go through it with you.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #19

Remember you are paying them if it was me do the pdi first sign papers later
Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #20

David,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new unit.

IF the dealer has the facilities (and I'm guessing they do) and IF you have the time, "camp" for a night or two on the dealer's lot. Use every system that you possibly can. Not only will that get you more familiar with the unit, but if you have a problem or find anything that doesn't work, you are right there to ask and/or have something fixed.

Good luck!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote