Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #1

QUESTION on wall alignment

Trying to set up my camper this week the rear wall would not fit flush against the front wall...after fooling with it I noticed that there was a bolt on the outside of the rear wall that went through the metal frame and stuck out from the inside of the rear wall....in the front wall that it matches up to there was a hole that the end of the bolt fit into...not sure if the bolt got bent just a bit but it was just enough the bolt wasn't fitting in the hole so it wasn't fitting flush...I hit the bolt end just a wee bit and it slid right inside the hole.

Question: What in the world is the bolt for? Not one on the other side. I'll try and attach a couple of pics to show what I mean.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aframe Bolt.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	243706

Name:	Aframe Hole.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	243707
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
OYO

The pin (bolt) is for alignment.

I suspect your A-frame is not level. In my similar experience (twice) that was the issue.

Make sure it's level, then lower the stabilizers.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
The pin (bolt) is for alignment.

I suspect your A-frame is not level. In my similar experience (twice) that was the issue.

Make sure it's level, then lower the stabilizers.

X2. also serves as a wind pin.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
World Traveler Member

The others are correct it is for alignment and I have had my unit for 6 years and I have learned to park level and raise the top and latch sides up THEN lower the stabilizers and I have also notice that my door deadbolt does not work if I do not use stabilizers correctly. These units can be tricky but I have learned most of the idiosyncrasies and love my unit.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
World Traveler Member

Rear window wall Brace installed

I had my A-frame trailer for about 6 years and My wife and I have been using it constantly over that time so it gets lots of use we take on for up to 6 weeks at a time and that is a lot of roads to drive. Here in Calif, the roads are Bad and so these trailer with no shocks to dampen the bounce get a lot of bouncing and I had the problem of my side kitchen window bounce so hard while closed that the window frame came out of the wall and I was able to flex the wall and get it back in but now I was worried that it would do it again and damage the wall so I had a friend make me stainless steel support for the whole wall and here is the picture of the repair for others to see.
I also replaced the door side piano hinge due to breaks in it. These trailers are not made for heavy use and I keep repairing mine all the time as these are really a handyman delight and it is a good thing I am retired.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aframe wall repair.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	244077  
Old 12-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. I think I figured out what happened. I did level the camper when I unhooked from TV....but this time I lowered the stabilizers before I set the camper walls up....not sure why I did it this time since I never lower them until I set the walls up but thinking back that's what I did.

Lesson learned.

Thanks again.
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
OYO

I see several posts advocating raising before deploying the stabilizers. I find this somewhat courios in that they are stabilizers not levelers.

I was instructed to simply lower the stabilizers until ground contact and to never actually lift the camper.

We've lowered before and after raising, it seems to me to be irrelevant. But we always level before raising.

The only times we've had this issue (5 years avg 80 nights/year) is when we've been on a slope and failed to get the chocks against the tires properly allowing the camper to move.

Not trying to be argumentative, just stating our experiences. Do whatever works.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #8
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
I see several posts advocating raising before deploying the stabilizers. I find this somewhat courios in that they are stabilizers not levelers.

I was instructed to simply lower the stabilizers until ground contact and to never actually lift the camper.

We've lowered before and after raising, it seems to me to be irrelevant. But we always level before raising.

The only times we've had this issue (5 years avg 80 nights/year) is when we've been on a slope and failed to get the chocks against the tires properly allowing the camper to move.

Not trying to be argumentative, just stating our experiences. Do whatever works.
Most of the time that works but if you do not lower them a little extra you get a lot of bounce in the trailer and it is not leveling just firm stabilizers
and some people get carried away so open with out them down is easier to remember.