Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #1

Quilts for your Aframe

Things didn't go well with having the 7 pin harness and brake controller hooked up yesterday...they had the wrong part or something so have to go back today.

Been reading everybody's posts and have enjoyed every one of them. Then got to thinking our new aframe will need a new quilt. My wife and I are quilters (mainly me).

I have arthritis in my feet really bad and can't stand or walk for very long so I had to give up my woodworking and some other things. I'm not one (most of the time) for just sitting with nothing to do so I learned to quilt a few years back. So far I think I've done 12 quilts.

I was wondering if any of you are quilters and if you have quilted a quilt for your aframe. Pictures would be great.
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #2

Yes.... I quilt.... often.... Made a quilt for our tent trailer that moved up when we purchased the Aframe.

Denim Quilt | Carla's Quilting Corner

and my gallery of personal quilts

Personal Quilts | Carla's Quilting Corner

The denim one is nothing special, just wanted to get something hardy out there. Working on another denim quilt (oh, two) that will be more interesting. Off to retreat this weekend to make some significant progress on one. The other top is done per pattern,

Denim Quilt | Carla's Quilting Corner

but I want it bigger so I will be growing it. But I can't grow it until after I teach the class that is based on the pattern....So, early March I'll be able to finish that one. I like the denim for the trailer 'cuz its really warm and really hardy. At guild I asked for used jeans to be able to complete one quilt and received enough that I had to come up with more ideas!

Have you tried sewing on a treadle sewing machine? Would it be just the right amount of gentle workout for arthritic feet? Using a treadle is sooo soothing. I don't make all my quilts on a treadle, but I love to use it when I need to slow the pace a bit.

http://www.murphyslogic.com/quilting...log-cabin.html

And I've been known to bring my handcrank sewing machine camping with me in the Aframe when camping without electricity.

http://www.murphyslogic.com/quilting/blog/camping.html

Made this one entirely on a handcrank for my daughter, most of it completed while camping.

http://www.murphyslogic.com/quilting...e-4-patch.html

Sorry you didn't get to bring your new baby home with you....when life gives you scraps...make a quilt...for your new baby!
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

Good Morning Carla

Thanks for responding. Your quilts are beautiful. My mother has the frame for a pedal machine but I've never seen a hand operated machine before. Now that would be interesting to watch much less sew on.

I do have a singer 15 clone but need to work on how to thread it correctly. At home I have a Bernina. I probably won't be taking my quilting along with us camping but I will be taking our mountain dulcimers. My wife and I both enjoy sitting around in the evening playing.

Here's a link to a few of the quilts I've made. I mostly make prayer quilts and baby quilts for new mothers but I did make the one queen size memory quilt for my wife. Also one bag I made my wife.

Quilts Photos by mlsa3 | Photobucket
Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

Good Morning Carla

Thanks for responding. Your quilts are beautiful. My mother has the frame for a pedal machine but I've never seen a hand operated machine before. Now that would be interesting to watch much less sew on.

I do have a singer 15 clone but need to work on how to thread it correctly. At home I have a Bernina. I probably won't be taking my quilting along with us camping but I will be taking our mountain dulcimers. My wife and I both enjoy sitting around in the evening playing.

Here's a link to a few of the quilts I've made. I mostly make prayer quilts and baby quilts for new mothers but I did make the one queen size memory quilt for my wife.

Quilts Photos by mlsa3 | Photobucket
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #5

I am not a quilter (I am a potter) but I did buy a quilt for my A-Frame to cover the pullout sofa bed. Have a family friend who is a talented quilter - Its neat to watch how all those colorful pieces come together for stunning results!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-19 20.02.55.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	45249  

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

My mom (Bless her heart) would make some of the most wonderful quilts I have ever seen. I had her last quilt (she was unable to complete it due to declining health issues) stored in a safe place and someday will have it completed. I looked for it the other day but can't find it. Memory going

Frank
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #7

Next time I am at trailer I will take a pic of quilt my step mothers mom made, it is 49 state name and flowers, it just seemed appropiate for our travels!

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #8

Ok jealous!!!!!
Do any of you sell your quilts?
And I love, love, love the quilt on the pull out bed!
I crochet when we are camping..
Thanks everyone for sharing...
Cathy
Tomscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #9

Yes, I too quilt! I have made a quilt for my last camper (and R-Pod) but my new A-Frame. I will be working on it very soon though! As soon as the weather warms up some!

Carrie
Macalina3369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #10

Here is my 48 state qult my stepmom mom made her it is pink of all things but the work that went into it is beautiful!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1392867284.634595.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	46491

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #11

My sister is quite an accomplished quilter. Check out her quilts in the galleries section of her blog at Deirdre Abbotts | Welcome To My Sloppy Studio!

I, long ago, took a quilt in a day class and enjoyed it. Made two or three quilts, but lost interest as life got busy...

Later,
Brian

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #12

I love that. A working QR code quilt.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags