Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Site Team

Talking Replaced The "Universal" CH751 Cargo Locks

Since our trailer is parked at a storage lot I decided to replace the "universal" CH751 cargo door locks. I ordered a set of five "CH751 Security Upgrade" replacement locks, keyed to the main door's Global Link key, from RV Locks And More.

If you only want to replace your locks for security reasons the 7/8 inch lock is the OEM size on our trailer and is probably the same length on all of the Folding Trailers. This is an easy to do modification if you stick with the stock 7/8 inch length locks. Removing and replacing the locks is a 4-5 minute job per lock.

Note: You will be reusing the OEM cam arm screwed in to the OEM lock so don't lose it! Also when removing it look at how the cam arm is positioned so you can install it on the new lock to work in the same way.

Upgrade Option: I wasn't real happy with how the OEM locks "felt" mounted in the foam core so I went with the longer 1 1/8 inch length lock. I then used M20 Metric Stainless Steel fender washers, painted with Gloss Black Rust-Oleum, as reinforcements / spacers on the outside and inside of the cargo hatches. Adding the washers gives the lock a much firmer feel when opening and closing the cargo doors. The gloss black washers, with the stainless steel lock centered in them, look good with the other black trim on our trailer.

RV Locks And More provided excellent customer service and my locks were delivered in four days even during the Christmas rush. In addition to the lock sets I also picked up a couple of their LED Lighted Keys which are fairly bright. Their bill was under $30.00.

I bought the M20 Washers I used at Ace Hardware, you will need three washers for each lock. I used two on the outside and one on the inside to get the spacing right for the cam arm to fully engage and tightly shut the door. The washers and paint were another $20+ bringing my total cost for the project to approximately $50.00.

Using the longer 1 1/8 inch lock and adding the reinforcing washers took a bit of fiddling initially to get the lock spacing correct. Once I determined the number of washers to use it was an easy "Remove and Replace" modification. Letting the paint dry was the most time consuming part of this mod as it has been raining like crazy here.

The tools you will need are very minimal. You will need a screwdriver, straight or Philips #2, and a pair of pliers, or the correct size wrench, to remove and install the locks cam arm and retaining ring. I used my trusty Leatherman Multi-tool to remove and reinstall a lock for measuring it before ordering the replacements.

If you want to add some security to your cargo areas, and get rid of a key on your key ring in the process, it is well worth the effort. I'll take a couple of pictures to add to the thread when I get back out to the trailer.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #2

Great review and instructions. Thanks.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Site Team

Great write up. Any chance you have pics of the finished product?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

Thanks Wayne for the great detailed description and parts info. This has been on my to-do list.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Okay I made it out to the trailer and took some pictures of the new locks.

Outside View

Inside View

Side View Showing Spacers

Side View Close Up Of Spacers

Finished View

A couple of additional notes:

The lock retainers are a 7/8 inch if you want to use a wrench. I used one when I replaced all five locks as it is faster than pliers.

I forgot to mention I used an additional smaller washer, 1/16 inch thick 1 inch overall diameter with a 3/4 inch inner diameter, under the door pulls to give a more finished look.

I hope this helps show how easy this upgrade is...
Old 12-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

Thanks Wayne for this detailed upgrade. You did a great job with the photos. I must put this on my to-do list when I pick up my unit in the spring. Don
A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Hi, When we bought our trailer the guy said that just about everybody in the campground would have the same keyed locks. I was glad he told me that because as soon as I got home I bought some locks on E bay and put them on. They are simple to do.
welder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:44 AM   #8

Replaced The "Universal" CH751 Cargo Locks

I replaced with Combi-cam locks -set whatever combination you want.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

Smile Lock replacements

Not sure I completely understand, you replaced the compartment door locks keyed to the main door of your rig if I read it right. Does your RV have two sets of locks on the door a regular latch and a dead bolt or just the regular latch? Many manufactures use the same door latch key on their units but the dead bolts are keyed different on each rig. They leave the deadbolts unlocked for showing so they don't have to carry a whole bunch of keys just one main latch and one for the cargo areas.

I changed all my compartment door locks to a tubular type like they use on vending machines (these are harder to pick). I had four different lengths cylinders and latches local retailer stocked just had one length so I ordered them online from iss4locks.com. You can get the locks keyed the same or different. They supplied me with about 8 extra keys and even included several “reset” keys if the tumblers need to be re-aligned.

They installation was quick and easy and the locks are much better quality than the standard ones.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
Site Team

I have two locks on the door and both are factory keyed to the same Global Link key. Every Forest River trailer I've had was keyed this same way...

I looked at ACE style units on ebay, and at Camping World, and while they would have worked, from the point of replacing the CH751, I'd still have three keys; door, cargo and outside shower. Now I just have two keys to the trailer and since I'll probably never use the outside shower key it is stored inside the trailer. That drops me down to one trailer key that I can put on truck key ring. That's just a convenience factor but it was part of my goal.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Nice job Wayne and great pics Thanks; Frank
Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #12

Like Big Vic, I replaced my locks with the black Combi - Cam locks. Wonderful things not only can you set your own combination,m you can make them open counterclockwise which is counter intuitive to someone trying to open one should you leave one unlocked.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #13

I just got a Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL and am looking to replace the cargo locks. Looks like they're 7/8" cam length also. Can anyone confirm?
ShortyB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #14

Except for the RV door, I have gone keyless with the entire A-frame. The ball hitch coupler lock is a combination lock. The two roof latches are combination locks. The cargo compartment door latches I replaced with Combi-Cam locks with dust boots. The outdoor shower lock I removed and replaced with a thumb turn latch. There is nothing to steal in the outdoor shower compartment, and I don't want fumble with a lock when using the shower.

Combi-Cam https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W7DBWA
Dust cover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ONNA42
Thumb cam lock https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC8U30

Tags
lock