Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 07:58 PM   #1

Replacing Rear Roof Foam Strip

The foam strip sealing the a frame roof sections together needs to be replaced. Any suggestion on removing the old and prepping the surface for the new would be appreciated. Afraid acetone is too strong for the fiberglass.
Royboy
2019 A214HW
2011 Toyota Highlander
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #2

I have a 2012 A-122, and replaced the foam seal about 1-1/2 years ago. Stared with a PLASTIC putty knife, with a sharpened edge, to remove as much of the foam as possible. Then used Goo-Gone and the putty knife to remove the residual adhesive. Then wiped cleaned surface down with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. I think I used about a 70% isopropyl, just to remove any residual Goo-Gone. To assure a nice straight line of the new foam strip, I taped down a piece of angle iron as a straight edge---anything straight, like a good wooden 1x4, would suffice though. Applied the foam strip, and the ran a bead along both edges to prevent future edge-lift using Dicor Lap Sealant, non-sag.
My rear roof panel has about a 1/4" sag, so to get a good seal all the way across the panel, I added a shorter strip of foam across the major portion of the sagged area, then applied the top continuous strip. So far, so good!
tommytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
OYO

May I ask specifics of what foam you used and where you got it?

Thanks.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #4

Ordered the foam strip, along with the roof bungie cord replacement kit, from Forest River.
tommytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #5

Glad to see this - I need to replace mine, but I think I can wait 'til next year. That requires me to not have it folded down in heavy rain, however. (!)

I did the bungee replacement earlier this season - didn't even know there was a FR kit. How do you order these items from them?

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #6
OYO

"didn't even know there was a FR kit. How do you order these items from them?"

Same here. How do you do that?
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #7

Call Flagstaff support. You need your VIN. Prices are generally not bad but shipping can be.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A- frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof