RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #21

I am glad I do not have an actuator on my 2015 A128. I can pop up or lower my roof in a few seconds and do not have that poorly engineered contraption on the side of my trailer.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #22

I have a 2015 A192 HW. My actuator is on its last breath. Do you think FR would send a free replacement even though I'm out of the factory warranty?
ccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:20 AM   #23

On actuator #3

I'm thinking a free one would be a no! But wont hurt to ask.
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie53 View Post
I have been following this thread and others on the roof actuator. I have decided to go with gas springs. I tried to order from Hatch lift as was suggested and just my luck they are out of stock on the springs that I need. So I found a site Liftsupport depot they had the springs and brackets in stock and with free shipping so I placed the order. And here is a link on what I ordered.
Gas Spring
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/li...-lift-support/
10mm Ball Mount
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/qt...bracket-black/

I hope the install goes well
Thanks for all the info and hard work on this problem over the last few years
Gerbie53, thank you for this information. I have a 2019 Forest River Flagstaff T21TBHW that I purchased last fall. The lift actuator has already failed & been replaced under warranty. The spec label on the new unit shows 12 volts at 20 watts. That seems rather gutless to be lifting that much weight! It REALLY strains when going up, but comes down quite easily. I usually "help" it lift, which makes me think that a gas strut installed on the opposite side (maybe one on each side?) might help the actuator last longer. I just might add one of these before it fails again. I really don't want to spend $130+ every year or so to replace it.

Kenny - WBVPS
SmallRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #25
OYO

Gas Springs are the solution: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-182535.html

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #26

My 2019 T21TBHW has the dormer, which uses the gas springs very successfully. The only issue is that the raised position of the dormer is just beyond my easy reach to pull down to latch.

I'll have to take measurements and see if the gas springs location for the main roof would interfere with the dormer gas springs at all. I'm guessing I would need a LITTLE more lift for the main roof due to the weight of the dormer.

I have not yet had a problem with the lift motor, but I do get to store my A-frame in the garage. Being able to lift about 3 inches with the lift motor allows me to access the fridge (and microwave if desired) while the A-frame is stored. I would not want to lose that capability, as I cannot raise the HW roof all the way inside the garage. Which means the sides stay folded in the garage.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (A213HW) A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #27
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
My 2019 T21TBHW has the dormer, which uses the gas springs very successfully. The only issue is that the raised position of the dormer is just beyond my easy reach to pull down to latch.

I'll have to take measurements and see if the gas springs location for the main roof would interfere with the dormer gas springs at all. I'm guessing I would need a LITTLE more lift for the main roof due to the weight of the dormer.

I have not yet had a problem with the lift motor, but I do get to store my A-frame in the garage. Being able to lift about 3 inches with the lift motor allows me to access the fridge (and microwave if desired) while the A-frame is stored. I would not want to lose that capability, as I cannot raise the HW roof all the way inside the garage. Which means the sides stay folded in the garage.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (A213HW) A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Fred,

You can just loosen the latch on the door side and achieve the same result.
We do the same thing. Usually to get a cold beverage while waiting for our campsite to open up.

Craig
Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #28

After three actuator failures in 2 1/2 years I replaced it with one from Windy River. It's rated for twice the load of the original actuator. Now, the motor sound, when lifting, is the same whether I help lift or not.

The Windy nation actuator is a little longer, so I had to move the lower mounting bracket down. That's when I found that the factory installed bracket was "secured" with 4ea, 1 inch screws mostly into an incorrectly positioned backer board on the inside. Replaced the "almost non-functional screws" with through bolts and washers for a proper installation.

I use a 1/2 tennis ball on the shaft of the new actuator to keep water out of the inside of the actuator.

Drawers under the sink never close properly. Discovered that poorly routed water hoses were in the way. More "NON Quality". Also discovered that the refrigerator received A/C power from the load side of a GFCI receptacle. Stupid.

Waiting now for the plexiglas domes to fail. Starting to see cracking in the corners. Always something.
Czars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:50 PM   #29

I checked the current draw of my roof lift actuator today.

Going up, it draws 2 to 2-1/2 amps at 13.2 volts. That is about 26 to 33 watts, which is considerably more that it is rated (20 watts). It is also rated at 10% duty cycle (2 minutes on, 18 minutes off).

Going down it draws about 0.4 amps or about 5-1/4 watt.

This indicates to me that there is not nearly enough lift assist from the torsion springs. I have ordered the same gas spring from liftsupportsdepot.com that Gerbie53 ordered:

I am going to mount it on the opposite side from the actuator. When I get it installed, I will check the current draw again, hopefully the lift current will be less than 1.5 amp (20 watts). This will (hopefully) extend the life of the actuator.

I will post my results here when I have them...

Kenny - WBVPS
Old 06-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #30

Fun with Actuators

Prospective hard side owner here. The helpful posts in this thread confirm my thoughts on the persistent lift issues with these trailers. After seeing all the reports of lift issues, I looked at the pics of the trailer and was shocked to see there is no gas strut opposite the actuator. It probably takes near 300 lbs of force to lift that roof section so near the pivot point. No wonder they die. (That and electric motors don't like water) The first thing I'm going to do when I get mine is install a 900N (200lb) strut opposite the actuator. And maybe a pinned post for disconnecting the actuator in case failure. Will be so much easier to manually lift if need be with the added strut as well.

Ideally, the actuator should just be "moving" the roof not "lifting" at all. May try a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Maxpow-C16-10...-1-spons&psc=1

fwbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
I find this amusing. They've decided to make it easier to replace the actuators when (not if) they fail.

On another note: I'm convinced it's all about waterproofing. On my 3rd one I sprayed the motor with flexseal and made a grommet like thing to keep the water from running down the shaft into the motor housing.

No issues over a year later.
lol No doubt why they fail! By the way this is a new one at the end of last season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4706.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	206776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4710.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	206777  
badge214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallRC View Post
I checked the current draw of my roof lift actuator today.

Going up, it draws 2 to 2-1/2 amps at 13.2 volts. That is about 26 to 33 watts, which is considerably more that it is rated (20 watts). It is also rated at 10% duty cycle (2 minutes on, 18 minutes off).

Going down it draws about 0.4 amps or about 5-1/4 watt.

This indicates to me that there is not nearly enough lift assist from the torsion springs. I have ordered the same gas spring from liftsupportsdepot.com that Gerbie53 ordered:

I am going to mount it on the opposite side from the actuator. When I get it installed, I will check the current draw again, hopefully the lift current will be less than 1.5 amp (20 watts). This will (hopefully) extend the life of the actuator.

I will post my results here when I have them...
I have the new gas spring installed now, and the results are not as good as I had hoped. The current draw is now under 2 amps, but is still more than 1.5 amps most of the way up. Maybe another gas spring mounted on the actuator side might help...

Kenny - WBVPS
Old 06-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #33
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallRC View Post
I have the new gas spring installed now, and the results are not as good as I had hoped. The current draw is now under 2 amps, but is still more than 1.5 amps most of the way up. Maybe another gas spring mounted on the actuator side might help...
Two 60 pounders will lift it halfway without an actuator. One person can finish the job pretty easily.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-182535.html

Craig
Old 06-13-2019, 09:08 PM   #34

I solved the waterproofing problem on my A214hw by putting a condom over the entire actuator. We’ll see how long it lasts��
royboy334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Two 60 pounders will lift it halfway without an actuator. One person can finish the job pretty easily.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-182535.html
I'll probably put another 60 lb gas spring on it and go. When (not if) the motor actuator craps out again, I'll take it off and not replace it.

Kenny - WBVPS
Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #36

I tried called that number for a replacement part for the roof actuator and got no response. Is there another number I can call? I have a 2015 HW194 Forest River A frame. Thanks
Laura Vergeront
Vergeront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #37

I'm considering getting this actuator here:

https://www.progressiveautomations.c...19694949990487

It's a fair bit more than the Windy Nation, but it's rated as IP66 (which is a fair bit better than IP65)

My only concern is that it's lengths are 37.87"-67.87"

vs

34.13" - 64.13" for the Windy Nation.

Does anyone know the original actuator length? (I'm not at home right now otherwise I'd measure my 2019 212HW)
davidmrawlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #38

Quote:
I find this amusing. They've decided to make it easier to replace the actuators when (not if) they fail.

On another note: I'm convinced it's all about waterproofing. On my 3rd one I sprayed the motor with flexseal and made a grommet like thing to keep the water from running down the shaft into the motor housing.

No issues over a year later.
Can you please elaborate on how you made the grommet?
Thank you!
76CLE76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #39
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76CLE76 View Post
Can you please elaborate on how you made the grommet?
Thank you!
Post 155 in this thread http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-91215-16.html (the mother of all actuator threads) describes it.

That was 2 years ago. Water is obviously an issue and it did keep the water out. But IMO a single actuator (lifting only one side) is just a bad design. There's far too much preasure on the roof rail and the actuator. Eventually due to stress the actuator will fail or the roof rail will be damaged.

In post 33 of this thread is a link to a gas spring solution. Electric, gas springs, whatever, lifting from one side is not a good idea.

Probably more than you wanted to hear, but just my opinion after a lot of trial and error.

Craig
Old 07-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #40

Water is definitely an issue!

I took my actuator apart (it was recently replaced under warranty) and at least two tablespoons of water ran out of both the motor and the gearbox assembly. Since it is quite easy to remove, I will be leaving it off until I can get it stored under cover, only installing it to raise and lower. The 60 lb gas spring that I installed on the opposite side makes it possible to raise and lower by hand, but I need another gas spring on the actuator side if I plan to eliminate the actuator altogether.

Kenny - WBVPS

Tags
replacement, roo, roof