Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #61

Unfortunately, one of the things that sold us on the camper was the lift actuator. I've raised and lowered without the actuator on the camper and I don't feel safe doing it. The roof comes down fast and if my finger was in the wrong place, I'd have to raise the roof to get the rest of my finger off the floor. I made a couple of poles with fork on the end to help get the darn roof up and down. We think selling it is in the future. Depends on how long this new actuator works.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling.geocacher View Post
Unfortunately, one of the things that sold us on the camper was the lift actuator. I've raised and lowered without the actuator on the camper and I don't feel safe doing it. The roof comes down fast and if my finger was in the wrong place, I'd have to raise the roof to get the rest of my finger off the floor. I made a couple of poles with fork on the end to help get the darn roof up and down. We think selling it is in the future. Depends on how long this new actuator works.
Yup, it does come down in a hurry without the actuator in place BUT the only way we could get the roof down when the actuator cratered halfway up on our recent holiday. The reason I totally changed out the FR actuator for a truck camper lift jack!

The camper has been great except for the piece-of-junk lifter that FR decided to use in its design. I'm sure they could have found an actuator that lasted a few years instead of months!? Truck camper lift jacks work for years!!

bwa
bwallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #63

@bwa, can you post some part number info and maybe a picture? I want to look into what you are using. We really like the camper but it doesn't like us (at times).
Old 09-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #64

Quote:
@bwa, can you post some part number info and maybe a picture? I want to look into what you are using. We really like the camper but it doesn't like us (at times).
See my previous post in a much longer thread on this topic: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2185943

bwa
Old 09-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #65

bwa, That's pretty interesting set up. I bet it works great.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #66

Quote:
I think a lot of us have poles like that for emergencies. I have a set I made and two pair of "grippy gloves" because I noticed a tendency for my hands to slip when using them.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #67

Quote:
bwa, That's pretty interesting set up. I bet it works great.
It does indeed and the brand new actuator on warranty order from FR will go in the storage space under the bed in case I ever require it in an emergency (which I doubt).

bwa
Old 09-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #68
OYO

Not trying to be contraire, but why not spend $75 bucks on gas springs and be done with it?
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
Not trying to be contraire, but why not spend $75 bucks on gas springs and be done with it?
Mainly because the gas springs, at least those from FR, are no better than the crappy electric actuator! All the gas springs on my 214 HW tent camper have failed after two years.

bwa
Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #70

I agree with you Craig-My next purchase is a set of gas springs
Roy
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #71
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallan View Post
Mainly because the gas springs, at least those from FR, are no better than the crappy electric actuator! All the gas springs on my 214 HW tent camper have failed after two years.

bwa
Sorry to hear that. The 213 didn't come with any.

But, if a GS blows it's $30 max and < 5 minute repair.

Each to their own.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #72

Ok which ones (gas) please? For the price, I'd like to check them out.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
Old 09-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #73
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
Ok which ones (gas) please? For the price, I'd like to check them out.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-182535.html

In the initial post i linked to 40 #ers. It should have been 60s. I corrected myself in post #17.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #74

Lift

Ill tell you Im not to happy with forest river, My actuator worked but had very litl strength to raise the roof without my help I dot think it would do it. I was send another one which I mounted before my return trip to Florida and got home and tried to raise it nothing happened on close look of the actuator there was rust water coming out of it, I took it off and turned it over and rusty water poured out of it this only the second time for this new actuator, no only that the screws are stripped out of the lower bracket. This camper has been a nightmare. I bought it in Feb 2019 it was a left over All seals had to be replace some where even missing they put the wrong Jack on it and to make it fit they had to bend the battery Tray. Radio has gone out and replaced they did so many crazy things. I was told it had a water leak but not bad but the replace the inside front board bulk head and real board bulk head and funny thing about it rather remove benches to replace the bulk heads they cut around the the benches and installed and caulk around where they had cut and installed and braces to hold it in place. The manager of the RV place said whatever they need to do to make me happy, thy sent the parts and I had a mobile RV fix it now these other problems I don't know how I'm going to fix the Lower lift bracket this is really getting old now I have to wait for a new lift hopefully. I went around the whole a-frame camper and tighted so many screws and there are some they never put in. Sorry for the rambling
Datalushttp://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/images/smilies/crying.gif
Sampen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #75

Roadside assistance and dealership response to actuator failure...

Folks, two questions for those that have had actuator failures under warranty.

1) Are your dealerships saying they will only work on the actuator if you bring the whole camper into their shop? Mine has said I have to bring the whole camper in or they will not fix it. I just want the actuator under warranty and I'll repair it myself. They refuse to do that. My actuator failed in the extended position while at a campground so I had to remove it in order to get home. So my guess is this will take 3+ weeks. I have to get the camper out of storage, haul it there, place the failed actuator in their hands since I had to remove it to close the roof in the first place, they submit a claim, wait for approval, get the part, install it, and then I have to haul it back to put the camper back into storage. Are you all hearing the exact same message? I'm trying to help these guys for a known failure and it appears I'll have to go through the 3-4 week plan. I just want FR to ship the new part directly to me under warranty.

2) My A213HW is only ~5 months old. I know it comes with some sort of a roadside assistance. Has anyone actually used this for the actuator failures? If so how did that work? I'm thinking for every actuator failure everyone should call this roadside assistance and get the repair. If on the road camping use this service for every single failure. This would get expensive for Forest River quickly. Does the roadside assistance cover this failure and part?

Thanks for the help. I know I can't go through this every few months. It's already getting old.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
Folks, two questions for those that have had actuator failures under warranty.
FR sent me one with just an email from me asking for it, I sent them the part info and within the week I had the actuator and installed it myself. Had to do a little drilling and splicing as the original was NOT the one that plugs in, it was hardwired. The original crapped out on the 3rd trip, me and my daughter out boondocking with no phone service. The minor panic made me forget for a minute I could just undo the top bolt to remove the actuator and lift it ourselves, which was not easy with the highwall, but we managed. I didn't even bother to check with the dealer because we bought it out of state, a nearly two day drive. I keep two 2" diameter wooden poles with "U" hooks on the end for lifting if it ever happens again.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #77
Hard to Re-Member

Dealership response to actuator failure...

When my actuator failed, my dealer (Happy Trails RV Center, Lebanon, Missouri) required that I bring the entire camper in before they would do any warranty service on the actuator. Their reason was "Forest River requires that the dealers have the camper in their possession so that they can get the VIN from the camper". Seems like a somewhat lame excuse, since I bought it there and they have all of the information on file. Fortunately for me, the dealer is only about 20 miles away and my camper was at home and not in storage, so it was only a minor inconvenience.

This will no longer be an issue, as the warranty has just expired. When the actuator fails again (which I'm sure it will), I will not go back to the dealer for a replacement, but will either get a more robust after-market actuator, or just replace it with gas lift struts, or both.

Kenny - WBØVPS
SmallRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #78

I didn’t go thru any hassle at all, just called the dealer near me (who I did NOT buy the HW214 from). They asked for the VIN number and ordered it but asked me to bring the broken unit with me when I picked up the new actuator. This is Shady Maple RV in East Earl, PA.
With some past repairs I have had to take photos of damage, email to dealer in Indiana where I bought the camper and they sent me a check for the parts and labor to repair the unit. For that big repair job they asked for an estimate from the repairing RV dealer. Call the customer service rep at FR
Roy
Roy
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #79

FR shipped the part...

The last thing I thought I would be typing by now is that the new part is already sitting on my kitchen table. Well, it is. I did get ahold of a Forest River rep and they shipped me the new part. I'm amazed how each of us is getting different answers from our dealership. I'm really glad they stood behind their product and shipped me the replacement part so fast. All I have to do is drop off the failed part at the dealership. I just hope I don't have to do this every three months.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #80

New part number actuator...

I installed my new actuator today. You can see from the pictures that they have a new part number that has some seals under the heads of the screws and a new gasket. Interestingly, I placed them side-by-side for some pictures in the sun. Within a few minutes, the old actuator started spewing water out of the top! This was literally less than 10 minutes in the sun. Prior to that there was no water and no rust stains. It's definitely drawing water into the main body. Now, I'm not sure the seals under the screws are going to help when the screw heads are not square with the gaskets. I could easily see it was not sealing properly.

In any case, the new strut is installed and working just fine. I'm going to add some sort of a rain shield to help keep water out. I'll post pictures in the spring when I finish that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image3-1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	217688   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	217689   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	96