Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 02:22 PM   #41

I still have factory screen room and have not used it /a frame will be one year old in 2 weeks/does anyone know how to keep Velcro from peeling off unit a122s/ glue sticks to side of camper as Velcro falls off/ very hard to remove/is there a better way to attach screen room to unit\
Old 10-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #42

There are some that installed snaps.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #43

I have the same mess on the side of my camper. The Velcro deteriorates quickly in sunlight. First becoming brittle then just flaking off leaving the adhesive behind. The velcro on the foldup side is still OK so I guess I could still use it as a sun shade only. I am pretty disappointed with FR for this design that is not capable of lasting one season when the camper is stored outdoors.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #44

spoke to dometic on Velcro problems/they said they had zippered patio rooms and covers for a frame/said I should talk to forest river on details/has any one heard this or any way to get rid of the peeling Velcro/help please//// dealer no help////
Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #45

This is a pretty upsetting thread on the screen room. I just purchased my A128S w/screen room and have not yet been out in the camper. Hate to think that the $650 cost of this, which was very expensive to begin with, was a bad purchase. Sounds like nobody is having any success with the way it attaches (velcro).
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #46

Since it appears to be a UV degradation problem. The obvious solution would be a Velcro backed sun shield made with a UV resistant material that would cover the camper-side Velcro in between trips.

This is of course easier said than done, although perhaps not for our craftier members. But it falls into the "way too much trouble to use" category for me. Particularly since I wouldn't use the screen room much one way or another.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #47

my 600 hundred has been in storage over garage/camper has been in garage minus about 2 weeks of useage camping with ez up as screen room/Velcro has only been in weather for 2 weeks/waiting for HD mods from forum to come up with a plan to dump Velcro/// know you can do it/////aframe is 2014 year model///
Old 11-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #48

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned snaps instead of velcro. Would like to see pics or a description of that modification.

Anyone??

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #49

I was concerned about this post after just purchasing the screen room. I talked to an expert yesterday and am finding that people apparently have not installed the product as designed. First, it is intended for the velcro to be only on interior with no exposure to outdoors. Also, people talked about needing a step ladder to put it up. It is supposed to be hung on the velcro with the door side roof/wall section collapsed while you are inside camper with farside wall raised. I will update this once I get it and figure it out!
tamraking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #50

Tamraking, not sure who your expert is but apparently they haven't seen the installation instructions be it clearly shows velcro to be placed on the outside as well as on wall edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150403_114430.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	72956   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150403_114306.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	72957   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150403_114246.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	72958  

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #51

My trailer roof peak from the ground is alot taller than me so yes, of course I'd need some sort of step stool or ladder to connect these pieces as shown in the instruction photos.

After reading the instructions and realizing I'd be stick with the large bulk of material on the wall (to remove or replace as needed or when not needed) it jist made more sense for my user needs (simple set up by a short solo user) - I decided to stick to using my EZ Up in lieu of screen room.

Can't wait to hear your experience when you finally set yours up and really being to have great adventures in your A-Frame!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-03 11.55.05.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	72959  

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #52

Hello, yes I watched the video today...the miscommunication on my part was that I was specifically asking about the uppermost strip that would be the most hassle to maintain, so that is what a very seasoned user had confirmed was actually unexposed to exterior. I joined this forum, because I am closely watching what people already know. But the people talking about having to take a 4 ft ladder in order to use this were not using the screen room as designed. I feel a bit better now that this may be a decent extra. I shall see!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #53

There was a post awhile back concerning the exterior velcro issue for screen room attachment. The poster suggested using the plastic velcro buttons (like the ones that are used inside to hold down curtains in the corners and screwed down) on the outside and use existing screws along bottom aluminum to attach them. This would last longer than velcro tape and stay attached. Sounds like this might work for the bottom attachment but not the sides.
mzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzak View Post
There was a post awhile back concerning the exterior velcro issue for screen room attachment. The poster suggested using the plastic velcro buttons (like the ones that are used inside to hold down curtains in the corners and screwed down) on the outside and use existing screws along bottom aluminum to attach them. This would last longer than velcro tape and stay attached. Sounds like this might work for the bottom attachment but not the sides.
Thank you! I will review this when I get the screen room and figure out best way to go. Thanks for feedback from all.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamraking View Post
I was concerned about this post after just purchasing the screen room. I talked to an expert yesterday and am finding that people apparently have not installed the product as designed. First, it is intended for the velcro to be only on interior with no exposure to outdoors. Also, people talked about needing a step ladder to put it up. It is supposed to be hung on the velcro with the door side roof/wall section collapsed while you are inside camper with farside wall raised. I will update this once I get it and figure it out!
The Velcro you’re referring to runs along the top of the inside roof peak there is no issue with that. The Velcro people are having difficulties with is on the outside of the trailer it secures the side walls of the screen room to the trailer, the bug netting that hangs on the bottom and under the steps is also fastened with Velcro both these areas collect dirt and weather tends to dry out the glue.

I’m the person using the step ladder I use it because I’m short the screen room ceiling is actually quite high (well at least for me) and installation of the aluminum roof poles is a reach for me. I also bring along the 4 foot step ladder to make it easier to lift the A Frame roof whenever I camp.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #56

Thank you, cattledog...I am trying to head off not having something major I need on our first outing. Your clarification on the step ladder being used for inserting the poles was helpful. I had misinterpreted it being about mounting the fabric on the velcro. Thank you! I qualify as short too, so I was needing the detail. Ideally, I would be able to do full test run, but it isn't gonna happen right now. Thx!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #57

ez up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
We don't have the FR awning, but I'll offer another option. Like yours, our camper did not come with the awning. We considered buying it, but we just couldn't bring ourselves spend the $500-600 on it.

We bought a good 10' x 10' EZ Up style awning with a screen room attachment. Below is a pic of how we set it up...minus the screen room. We have the corners tied down using adjustable cinch straps. Three straps are hooked to dog tie-out augers, and one is hooked to the camper's left step housing. The awning just flat out doesn't budge.

It might seem to some like a bit of overkill on securing it down. We've seen freak storms blow through, and have even lost an awning to one...with the storm coming through so quickly that there was no time to drop the awning. We had one blow through this past October, and while everyone else was either chasing their EZ Ups, holding down their awnings, or wondering how much it was going to cost to fix the fresh hole in their roof , our awning just stayed right where we left it.

To keep from tripping over the augers at night, we have solar lights we plant in the ground between the augers and the poles.

Hello! Can you tell us whether your ez up is truly water proof? Thank you for your great info, Kathy and Brian
kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #58

an ez-up. is .. water rep-lent... meaning it may leak through the stitching ... but not very much ...
we have had ours since our camper was new ..... much better than struggling with an awning.

d-mo
Old 04-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
an ez-up. is .. water rep-lent... meaning it may leak through the stitching ... but not very much ...
we have had ours since our camper was new ..... much better than struggling with an awning.

d-mo
Thank you! :-)
Old 04-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #60

screen room model

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2111 View Post
Thanks for all the input, we decided to go with the 10*10 ez up with screen. Camping in the Adirondack Mts
My husband and I are picking up our first camper t12ddst in one week. Would you let us know how your ez up works out for you? We have tent called for 40 years and go to the Adirondacks at least twice during summer and early fall.
Have fun!

Tags
roo