RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
This is by far, my favorite little trailer for solo camping or weekend trips with spouse where our coach is just too large.

This year begins our 8th season with the little A-Frame. Lots more positives and very few complaints for this sweet little unit! It fits my personal user needs perfectly (dog shows, solo camping, functionality, ease and towability). Its not a luxury unit, its several steps up from tent camping and with all the amenities they come with, there really isnt too much to miss... just depends on one's expectations for why they wanted one.

We have one set up in a camp ground has everything but a bathroom. Great camper for us we both make it work for us. A plus all the way.
Erichkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #82

Trying to decide

Back in 2002 we bought a Chalet Arrowhead A frame trailer. We had it for 14 years. The we got a 2012 Subaru Outback (used) and the specs said it could tow up to a 2700 pound trailer. The specs were way off. I tried to tow the Chalet but it was too much for our car so I sold the trailer. Then I decided to try to make a camping trailer out of a utility trailer. Well with limited abilities in other words didn't work out. We traded that off for a new style tent trailer called a Sylvansport Go camping trailer. At first I thought it would be easy thing to set up. Well over the short time of owning and having some health issues it became a hard thing to take down after using. Then in 2018 I traded it back off for what would be (I thought) an easy to use travel trailer but soon found out that even though it was easy to use the quality just wasn't there (Coachmen). It has become the worst nightmare with so many defects and poor customer service. Now I'm at the age of almost 65 and I want to go back to the simple life of what we had in the first place. I decided to look at the Rockwood Flagstaff Hardside A frames. I'm not sure on which way to go new or used. Some say to go used. The main issue is you get someone else's problems but if you go new you have your own problems. Then I'm not sure which model to get. What I do like on the Rockwoods is that they offer a power lift roof and some models have a front storage deck and again some have those slide out trays. Whatever we get will have to last us because it will be our last unit. I'm up to any suggestions. I like the idea of the heated mattress but I need one that doesn't have lack of support (like sleeping on the ground feeling). In our current trailer I got a memory foam mattress because of the above mention support of the original one. Being getting older I like many other are getting joint issues. Also on my latest trailer I have to use a weight distribution hitch with sway control. On our first A frame we never needed any of this stuff. We just loaded it and headed out on our journeys with no worries of it wondering all over the highway. It followed us like a pup even in the worst side winds and heavy down pours. I currently own one of the best mid size pickups on the market. We have a 2017 Chevy Colorado Z 71 4 by 4 turbo diesel 4 cylinder pickup. It can tow up to a max of 7600 pounds and they say a safe tow up to 5600 pounds. So basically towing one of these a frame style would not effect our fuel economy like a travel trailer does. So also my wife recently had knee surgery and using the built in toilets would need either a riser or if they had other options like our travel trailer has of putting a different toilet in them that would sit higher. I'm not sure what the actual seat height is on the toilet/shower option they have is. Has anyone who now own one have any issues with the built in units? Let me know.
RZ406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #83

I just got a Rockwood A214hw with a cassette toilet and shower. It’s made for two adults and the mattress is as comfortable as the bed at home. After 4 trips with it we use the shower for emergencies only but the toilet works just fine but it does sit low. I’ve had it in temps almost at freezing and still didn’t need the heater. Looking forward to 6 weeks this winter
Roy
royboy334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #84

Because of the lingering effects of chemo, DW had to have a toilet for emergencies in our new A-frame (we had the base A122 prior). We have yet to use the cassette toilet in the T21TBHW (same as Rockwood A213HW), she prefers to use campground facilities and hasn't had the emergency yet.

You will find the Rockwood (same as Flagstaff) A-frames are substantially heavier than their A-liner and Chalet counterparts, and have heavier tongue weights - typical TW is 400-500 lbs. Of course, being a single axle with a front storage compartment, a lot depends on how you load it.

We never used the electric mattress heater in the A122 (A213HW doesn't have one). We did install memory foam on top of the stock mattresses - stock mattress was a little too firm for DW.

We chose the A213HW for the following reasons:
- had a cassette potty without a shower enclosure to put up and take down. We had a shower in a previous pop-up and NEVER used it in 6 years.
- twin bunk configuration is a LOT more convenient for getting up in the middle of the night; don't have to roll over the other person; under bed storage does not require lifting the bed. If we want to revert to king bed, put the insert in and add a section of topper.
- the dinette is usable both as a dinette for 3 and as a 3rd single bed. Leg room at the dinette is not hampered by the wheel well.

Overall, according to me and most HW A-frame owners in this forum, the electric lift is a failure-prone liability, not an asset. The best alternative seems to be replacing the electric lift with gas lifts similar to those used on the A-frame dormer and SUV tailgates. Although my 2019 213HW is stored inside the garage, the electric lift is already struggling.

We chose to forgo the electric tongue jack even though I use a WDH (E2 Equalizer 600/6000) for the same reasons. Our dealer normally replaces the electric tongue jack with a good manual tongue jack unless the customer requests otherwise.

The dormer makes the A-frame seem a lot roomier, and the windows are high enough to avoid on-lookers peering in. A very nice improvement over the twin bubble windows, even though it adds weight and 2 minutes to setup/take-down (you do not have to set up the dormer).

With the A122, we got about 17mpg towing with our minivan, 22mpg not towing. With the increased frontal area of the high wall and dormer, our towing mileage drops to 14mpg.

With our minivan, the WDH is critical to good towing at highway speeds.

just our experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as Rockwood 213HW) A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #85

My husband and I are both seniors (70 & 68). We have a 2017 213HW and love it. We love the two twin beds, so much easier to make than the queen we had in our first Aframe. We have a large Clam screen room and that is where we spend most of our time, using the Aframe mostly for sleeping. I have decorated it very cute and it's now my "she shed". I love that people find it unique and I love showing it off. People are fascinated by how it goes up and down and how easy it is to handle.
Dee Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #86

Still undecided

My current trailer which I have posted in a previous post is a 2018 Coachmen Apex 191 RBS. It hasn't been the best trailer for us and it cuts back on fuel economy. I'm looking for an easy set up A-Frame trailer because of health issues in the past and present limits both of us. Back in 2002 we bought a Chalet Arrowhead and we loved it/ We had it 14 years with very little issues to go wrong. Then I bought a Subaru Outback and was hoping I could tow the Chalet with it. There was a small problem (on Subaru's part) the figures don't add up for what you want to tow. They say maximum towing is 2700 pounds and the tongue weight is 200 pounds. So we had to sell it and figure out what to do. We bought a utility trailer and I tried to make something but it didn't work out. We then purchased a Sylvansport GO but in the short time we owned that one found out it was hard to take down. This when we purchased our latest 1 1/2 years ago and it having several defects (some severe) that we need to go back to an A-Frame. I like the feature the present Chalets have for raising the roof but they have very few models that we like. Aliner has a two motor system to raise the roof with some amenities we like. Forest River has two models to choose from a Rockwood and a Flagstaff. We like the Flagstaff bot the big problem is it's the same company that owns our present trailer. So it is hard to decide which one we will get. I like the idea of twin beds (heard the were a little shorter than the regular bed). I'm 6 foot and my wife is bout 5 ft 8 inches and we have an 80 pound Goldadore (golden Retriever/Yellow Lab). The only thing didn't like about the Forest River ones is the hanging cabinet. So I have until First of next year to decide and find what I want out in the real world. Our plans are to do more camping when my wife retires next year. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy Colorado 4 cylinder 2.8 liter diesel with a 6 speed transmission and Z 71 4 X 4.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ406 View Post
I like the feature the present Chalets have for raising the roof but they have very few models that we like. Aliner has a two motor system to raise the roof with some amenities we like. Forest River has two models to choose from a Rockwood and a Flagstaff. We like the Flagstaff bot the big problem is it's the same company that owns our present trailer. So it is hard to decide which one we will get. I like the idea of twin beds (heard the were a little shorter than the regular bed). I'm 6 foot and my wife is bout 5 ft 8 inches and we have an 80 pound Goldadore (golden Retriever/Yellow Lab). The only thing didn't like about the Forest River ones is the hanging cabinet. So I have until First of next year to decide and find what I want out in the real world. Our plans are to do more camping when my wife retires next year. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy Colorado 4 cylinder 2.8 liter diesel with a 6 speed transmission and Z 71 4 X 4.
1. Rockwood and Flagstaff A-frames are identical except for colors. They are made on the same assembly line by Forest River.

2. We chose the twin bed model for rear bed flexibility, and for the cassette toilet for DW emergencies (occasional reactions post-chemo). We also like the higher cabinets, bigger sink and fridge, and the dormer adds a very spacious feeling. We had previously owned an A122.

3. Issues and how we resolved
- the roof lift system in the high walls uses an over-loaded single motor lift. I intend to replace with 2 gas struts, which should make setting up the roof by hand even easier than the A122 was (no electric lift). The gas struts work really well on the dormer.

- tongue weight is 400+lbs, depending on how you load the storage trunk. I also have dual GC-2 batteries on the tongue. I have to make a conscious effort to put heavy stuff in the back storage compartments. By the book, the storage trunk is rated for 150lbs. I do use a WDH in conjunction with the A-frames tongue weights and the rear suspension of my minivan. With reasonable loading, the E2 600/6000 restores the minivan ride to very close to stock.

- how to use the twin beds/king bed. We ended up using as narrow twin beds (74" long). The dinette adds another narrow twin bed that is 80" long in the A213/TBHW. We tried it as a king, but it was awkward getting in and out of, or making. We finally resolved it into twin beds, fitted with cut foam toppers on each. This gives us an aisle to access the beds, and to put the dog in at night. When we want, we can fill in the center and return to a king. We kept enough topper material to fit the center should we want it.

- Keeping the aisle open helped resolve the problem with the CoolCat ducts dumping into the aisle. I moved one of the ducts to dump out at the forward end of the left bed; this helps keep the front of the A-frame cool.

- the increased frontal area of the high wall and dormer are noticeable while towing. At first it was uncomfortable coming from the smaller A-frame. But I adjusted the WDH for the extra weight (added 2 washers), and now tows fine. I will probably add a rear video camera to have better rear visibility while towing.

just our experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 07-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #88

No Sway Weight Distribution Hitch

I purchased the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch because the others were hard to deal with. The main reason was how much the weight distribution hitch weighed. First you had to put the hitch in the receiver and then you had to deal with the bars and some of the hitch bars had to be removed when you back up or you had to watch how tight you could turn when backing up. Also there is the grease that you put on the ball. Well the above mention hitch which comes in several sizes only weighs 50 pounds. All that is required is to put the hitch in the receiver then attached the trailer then raise up the trailer and attach the chain plate to the under side of the ball and lower the trailer and hook up safety chains and plug the trailer in. Setting it up doesn't take long to do so. I used YouTube to help me out. The heaviest weight distribution hitch weighs in at 190 is the Hensley. Others weigh between 80 to 100 pounds. these all put more weight on the rear of your tow vehicle. I know how well the Andersen hitch works and I feel it was the right decision. Also the hitch doesn't require using grease because it hinders the way the sway works. When you take a turn the ball turns with the trailer. There is friction material where the ball goes through the mount in preventing sway.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #89

I have the HWA214 2018. First truck an trailer. Took it out, first night ended up sleeping in the truck cab with 2 dogs. The power lift did not open. Apparently I needed to be connected to a/c.
2nd - 5th nights Plugged the city water into the side, turned on the city water. A waterfall from below, and filled the underbed storage.
The toilet, well it did not open the valve into the cassette. What a smell and mess. Cleaned it out and it is sitting in the driveway. Think 1 trip was enough for the season. Plus it smelled like the green stuff. Instruction book was worthless.
A/C plugged in was able to open the roof, and the A/C worked good. When ready to go home, unplugged the camper, and pressed the button. The roof came down.

Not like when I was ready to open it and nothing happened.

As for the toilet height. That is not going to be the issue, it is hard to get into the shower pan to the toilet. Has a rather high step in. The seat was about average, definitely not really low. It is closed up or Id go measure.
The A214 is perfect for 2 shih tzus and myself. The door panel did come down on my head, but I have a hard head, and a goose egg still after 3 weeks. Jus would like to know how to operate the toilet and the city water. I did get a spot reasonably close to the park rr.
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:52 AM   #90
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare View Post
I have the HWA214 2018. First truck an trailer. Took it out, first night ended up sleeping in the truck cab with 2 dogs. The power lift did not open. Apparently I needed to be connected to a/c.
2nd - 5th nights Plugged the city water into the side, turned on the city water. A waterfall from below, and filled the underbed storage.
The toilet, well it did not open the valve into the cassette. What a smell and mess. Cleaned it out and it is sitting in the driveway. Think 1 trip was enough for the season. Plus it smelled like the green stuff. Instruction book was worthless.
A/C plugged in was able to open the roof, and the A/C worked good. When ready to go home, unplugged the camper, and pressed the button. The roof came down.

Not like when I was ready to open it and nothing happened.

As for the toilet height. That is not going to be the issue, it is hard to get into the shower pan to the toilet. Has a rather high step in. The seat was about average, definitely not really low. It is closed up or Id go measure.
The A214 is perfect for 2 shih tzus and myself. The door panel did come down on my head, but I have a hard head, and a goose egg still after 3 weeks. Jus would like to know how to operate the toilet and the city water. I did get a spot reasonably close to the park rr.
The roof probably didn't work because the camper battery was dead. It most likely charged while plugged in at the campsite.

The toilet issue is hard to understand. Any chance the cassette wasn't in all the way?

Sorry about your head. There's definitely a lot to learn.

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #91

When you plugged in to city water did you attach the water pressure reducer. City water approaches 90 psi but needs to be reduced to less than 50 psi. Can’t help you on the toilet unless you flipped the switch on the toilet bale in the wrong direction
Good luck. I love my 214HW
Roy
royboy334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #92

We bought an A122 in 2017. Sold it after 4 mths to get a bigger TT. Sold that and tried a truck camper and mini camper. Two weeks ago we repurchased our A122. We realized as seniors that simpler is better.
ARLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #93

A Frame and which one to buy

I'm still 5 to 6 months out before I get a new A Frame trailer I'm still not sure which brand to get. The closest dealer to me that has them is 70 miles away so it is a matter of seeing what they and see how long it would take order one. I like the Chalet with front kitchen but I also like the Rockwood/Flagstaff ones with the front platform. It will all depend on what I get for trade in on my present trailer when the time comes. How hard is it to use the toilet/shower? My wife has issues getting up from lower toilets due to having knee replacement and her agility issues. How hard is it to set up the shower in the ones that have the unit? How do people like the Flagstaff A Frames?
Old 08-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #94

We have a '16 Flagstaff T21TBHW and love it. It works great for what we need for camping, easy pulling, all the bells and whistles we would need. We didn't want the shower inside due to humidity build up inside and the damage that can do. Everybody has there own wants and needs for a camper, this one meets ours.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #95

The Chalet and A-Liners were out of our price range when we were looking.

Rockwood and Flagstaff are identical except for colors, both exterior and interior.

Fred W

Tags
camper, frame, trailer, a-frame