Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Senior A Frame Trailer Campers

We are just curious as to how many of us Senior Campers own A Frame campers. We are in our second year of camping with our new A Frame and just love it. Our camping of 50+ years has taken us from an Army Tent to a large rig. We have now given up the big rig and wanted to downsize. We tried the pop up soft side, but that did not work out so well. Then we were introduced to the A Frame, and it is "just what the doctor ordered." Sort of a senior pun there. This A Frame now keeps up camping with a smaller rig and yet we have just about all the amenities of a large outfit. Happy Camping
Old 08-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #2

I currently have two campers: A Frame and 26 ft TT. A Frame is great for one or two campers in small campsites or short trips while the TT is great when camping with kids/grandkids or for longer periods of time. Sometimes we bring them both when group camping. Nice to have options.

There are seniors who have run the gambit having owned motorhomes, 5th Wheels and large TTs and return to the simplicity and ease of operation of an A Frame.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

We are senior A-frame campers. My wife and I just retired this past spring and our A192HW was our retirement gift to each other. We had 2 tent type popups prior to the A-frame. Now all we want to do is go camping (whenever lifes little problems don't get in the way).
Enjoy your A-frame!
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Even tho I'm a senior I still enjoy the room of a tt and when we had our to Yorkies it was nice traveling and camping with them. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #5

on these "A" frames campers can you run the propane water heater,propane frig and propane furnace at the same time? I can't seem to keep the furnace and water heater on at the same time
Vergeront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
We are just curious as to how many of us Senior Campers own A Frame campers. We are in our second year of camping with our new A Frame and just love it. Our camping of 50+ years has taken us from an Army Tent to a large rig. We have now given up the big rig and wanted to downsize. We tried the pop up soft side, but that did not work out so well. Then we were introduced to the A Frame, and it is "just what the doctor ordered." Sort of a senior pun there. This A Frame now keeps up camping with a smaller rig and yet we have just about all the amenities of a large outfit. Happy Camping
We're seniors and we bought this t19hw last year. We used to tent camp 40 years ago. To us this is the best thing since sliced bread. Hook up and go.
For instance we're going for three day starting Wednesday. I'll put it on the driveway Tuesday ,plug in the fridge load up and go in the morning. 😀
Old 08-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #7

Senior Aframe camper

I have been camping in a tent for over 50 years but my wife can't get up off the ground anymore so easily. Saw this A128s coming back from Florida last winter and pulled it off the lot. Wow, does it make life simple. Even the shower is a welcome change. Going to spend a couple months in it this winter. I'll let you know how we do.
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 PM   #8

I am a Senior retired with two Dobermans. I had a popup tent type camper for 4 years, but after back surgery, pulling out the bed ends was just too much. The A frame I have had now for 3 years is perfect for me, can have it up and ready in 5 minutes. Easy to tow with Chrysler Town n Country minivan.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #9

Guess I am over qualified for the "senior" title.. I'm 61. Most of the time it's just me in the camper. sometimes a dog. Just bought a 2014 Rockwood A122s. Like others i have downsized from a couple of bigger travel trailers. I like the simplicity of the A122s.. I kinda like NOT having the shower and bathroom. The travel trailers I owned both developed water leaks around the shower floor and resulted in soft spots on the floor.

I haven't camped in my Aframe yet.. just brought it home Saturday.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

We have an A-Frame, A194HW. Getting to old to sleep on the ground. Like to go to out of the way places so needed a smaller rig to those places. Still have a MH for when we feel like living it up.
Loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #11

2nd season for us we knew we did not want canvas this 12HSB by Jayco fit the bill nicely.Tows easily with our mini van.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:34 AM   #12

Smile

Have had our 2014 Rockwood A194HW for 3 years now and loving it. Use to tent camp but was getting too hard to get off the ground and try to dress, etc in a tent. Investigated a few smaller trailers and then stumbled upon an a-frame. Sure glad we did
LadyScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #13

My wife and I retired in 2013 and bought an A124 as our first camper. We have spent over 6 months in it and been everywhere. Love it.
RichardEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #14

I am a retiree but not a senior citizen not until I am in my 80's will I consider myself a senior citizen.

Now we did see the A-frames at the FROG rally this year and they are nice but I will keep my 5er. And travel and use the 5er for our needs.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergeront View Post
on these "A" frames campers can you run the propane water heater,propane frig and propane furnace at the same time? I can't seem to keep the furnace and water heater on at the same time
I've had all 3 on at the same time when camping in the cooler weather without issue. I would suspect either a propane leak or a faulty regulator - both are reasonable possibilities.

My A122 had a propane leak we discovered on our first trip (April in Colorado). Turned out to be a defective metal casting where the hose from the regulator joined the metal plumbing under the camper. We could smell it outside, but not inside, and it never set off the alarm.

I've also had a regulator go bad and leak on a home gas grill.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip - Lincoln, Nebrasksa for Cornhusker football
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #16

Senior A-frame trailer campers

Bob, my wife and I went from a 5th wheel to an A122S. Got tired of driving a "semi" and paying the freight in mpg. We are both in our mid-70's and plan to camp for quite a few years yet (been doing it together since tent days in 1969). We like the simplicity of the A-frame also, so much so that we are buying a new one this afternoon, the A213HW. Rockwood has a new floor plan that contains a built-in cassette potty, preserves the dinette, and has either a permanent king bed or two separate smaller beds on the other end. This high wall edition provides more fridge space and lets us oldsters stand up straight when cooking or doing dishes. We are very happy with this camper. Won't miss having to lift the porta-potty in and out either!

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #17

Senior A-frame Campers

We are also senior A-frame campers. We both retired a couple years ago and wanted to start camping again, something we did a lot of when we were younger. After taking a river rafting trip I realized I was done with tents, and we bought our perfect little A-122BH A-frame. We've been out 4 times now and love it. We are such newbies-had never towed anything before-but everything is great and we look forward to meeting many other A-framers and campers as we move into this exciting phase of life known as 'retirement'.
BobbiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #18

Senior A-frame campers

I'm not retired but my hubby is. We bought a T21QBHW a few months ago. It's our first camper ever. We looked at lots of RVs but liked this Flagstaff A-frame best. We're still learning but we really enjoy it.
prairiegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #19

Senior A-Frame campers

We have also been camping ever since we married over 50 years ago. We started with an old Baker tent, moved to a pop-up, to another pop-up, to a Shamrock hybrid, to a few travel trailers, and, finally, a 5th Wheel. Now we've downsized to our new A213HW and love it. But we haven't given up on tent camping either. I've seen a lot of comments from folks who don't want to sleep on the ground anymore, but I did a backpacking trip with my sons on Isle Royale three years ago, and remember how nice and soft that 3-inch air mattress was! My wife and I still use our tent on occasion, but we don't sleep on the ground. Some years back, we bought cots with built-in air mattresses. We throw them up in minutes, have a little hand-made end table between them at the head end, with a lantern on it. The porta-potty is placed at the other end of the tent, near the door. Yes, takes a little longer than our A-frame, but sometimes the tent is the only way to go. Or, maybe we just want to revisit our "roots" now and then.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #20
gpa

We tent camped for years but sold all of our stuff 10 years ago, then retired in 2012 and decided to go camping again and went out and bought a tent. That lasted 1 year and we are now the proud owners of aT12rb a couple of weeks ago and can't wait to get it on the road.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, frame, trailer, a-frame