Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Setting up Aframe camper in high winds

Setting up Aframe camper in high winds
Looking for advice on setting up in a high wind situation.
First thought is to face the front into the wind.
Now I was thinking maybe it would be better to have the wind coming in the door side.
Have the wind blowing through the roofs.
Then put up the door side to block incoming wind.
Any thought and experience would be appreciated.
superal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

Here is a link to a thread I wrote in Feb about trying a single-handed setup in high winds.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ds-178193.html

From this and other experiences in 30+mph winds in Colorado, lifting the roof is NOT an issue. The roof actually lifts easier, as the panels attempt to "fly". Now I carry a rope to tie to the lift handle to control the panels if the wind is lifting them.

If the wind is coming from the side, you will have to lift up and push one of the sides against the wind pressure. It's not impossible; just takes a little more muscle than normal. Opening the window on that side would certainly help relieve some of the wind pressure.

You cannot change the order of setup because the door side wall sits on top of the driver side wall when folded.

Once the sides are latched in, the A-frame is incredibly sturdy. It might rock on the suspension a little, but the stabilizers help with that. Because of the box and wall sturdiness, I don't worry about wind direction when I set up. I set up according to how I want to fit into the site.

One of my other issues was the plastic chocks not staying in place with the wind and trailer rocking a little. I have since switched to the heavy rubber chocks from Harbor Freight ($5 each with coupon) that I like much better than the plastic ones.

just my A-frame experiences
before: 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
now: 2019 (bought Aug 2018) Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Chatfield SP, CO. camped 2019: 6 nights so far
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #3

I always position to face into the wind, if possible. This reduces the wind from seperating the roof panels. Have read a story or two of a couple A-Frame owners who blew out their roof panels when the hard wind blew in thru the door side.

Other than owners using tie down straps or other home made contraptions, one can purcjase wind kits on the market. One brand is the Wind Cheetah which has excellent reviews from its users and another is a kit from an Aliner brand owner (Chris Mendota?) who also has rave reviews. They both are after market products but worth it to those who wants an assured piece of mind.

I would still exercise caution and be aware of the wind reports wherever you take your little A-Frame. Forest River does incoroporate a wind bolt in setting up there roof. This has been instrumental in my experience when I am out using the trailer in gusting winds. I dont tease the risk. I stay inside and watch movies, read a book and wait it out, if possible. If it is anticipated to be beyond my comfort and I have time, I might consider waiting to set up or pack it up early..all depending on circumstance at the time.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #4

We have setup and taken down in 60 plus mph winds off Lake Michigan. We didn't worry about wind hitting the front but one day when hitting the rear we attached a rope to the side handle on the front roof just in case. Well we didnt need it, roof came down just like there was no wind. Don't waste your money on that $200 wind cheater seat belt, I would be worried more about possible damage at the small attachment point.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, frame