Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #41

Screen room

I'm getting the screen room as well -- how does it do in wind and rain? Does it stay attached? Anything to be careful about?

Thanks for the picture!
wayfaringgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #42

Thanks for the pic...

Pictures tell a thousand words....it answers the question beautifully about the privacy/wind protection. I am still curious about how well it protects against the rain....I guess that question is best answered with experience.
gdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #43

Love my screen room it is fairly versatile can be used as a screen/bug room or the walls can be removed completely so it is more of a sun shade or the privacy panel can be zipped up to keep out the weather or used as an extra room for tenting. I especially liked the plastic half windows in the top front panel that allow light in if the privacy panels are all closed up. I have been in rainy weather with it no major storms but experienced no leaks mostly appreciated stepping out in the morning and not getting soaking wet or having rain coming in the door and wind did not appear to be and issue other than when setting up. If you are on low ground suppose you will experience seepage under the walls but guess it would not be camping without a little rain and mud.-
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #44

Screen room - several questions

Thanks for the info on the screen room. Will I (as a 5'3" female) need a small ladder to attach the screen room once parked? Can it be partially attached before the wall is put up? I will be doing it by myself.

What size indoor/outdoor rug fits in there?

Do you use the grill with the screen room set up?

I'm so excited about picking up my Rockwood on Monday. Any thing you would recommend I have them go over with me while we're doing the walk through? I have done a lot of tent camping, but this is my first camper.

I bought my camper out of state because of the great price and will be spending the night in their lot to do a trial run and make sure I know how everything works. By the time I get done asking all my questions I bet they'll be relieved to see me leave.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #45

I'm going camping this weekend and I'll update my thread on tips setting up the screen room. For me, this is the best added option to the trailer. I set it up on all my trips and it gets easier every time. I was able to do this in the dark too. I use this space for cooking and for the dining room. This means the bed inside does not have to change to a table.

The only problem I had is after 2 days of rain and in the morning, drops of water all over the room occurs. I think the material is breathable and not 100% water proof.

Checkout my thread and I hope you create a thread too so we could learn from your rookie mistakes, like I did:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...r-27602-5.html
At this point I used the screen room and someone pointed out how close the stove is to the tent.
Also don't forget to close the window and door when cooking or else the smoke alarm will remind you....lol

Good luck and have fun on your first adventure!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #46

As I am not tall either I take along a 4 foot folding step ladder, it is lightweight and comes in handy while camping I do use it to set up my screen room and pop up the roof of the A Frame as I have arthritis in my shoulders. A step ladder would likely make it easier for you to set up the screen room as it is actually quite tall and the roof poles at some point would be difficult to reach. Plus the ladder makes a multipurpose rack when not being put to use.
I have not used the grill in the screen room as I often camp alone in bear country, I would prefer not to appear to be a can of spam to the resident bear population. There’s a visual in my head of a bear with an aluminum key standing on my step ladder rolling back the roof. Call me crazy but as a former tent camper I still apply all the rules in bear country to my A Frame that I did when in a tent. You may want to contact Forest River directly and ask if there are any issues with flammability while cooking in the screen room, I have heard some discussion on this but not sure what the final thoughts were about it

I purchased my mat at Wally Mart in the outdoor furniture area. Let me get back to you this weekend on that I have to dig it out of winter storage.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #47

Folding Camper - New

Here is a link to Leisure Time RV in Florida scroll down on the left side there is a link to a PDF file showing the setup of the screen room. At least I hope that link works.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Folding Camper - New

Here is a link to Leisure Time RV in Florida scroll down on the left side there is a link to a PDF file showing the setup of the screen room. At least I hope that link works.
Nice, thanks for the link, here is the pic I got from there:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1487761121.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	29010I've added this to my album

Wow they are charging $895 for it, now I feel good that this was included in my package deal.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #49

Screen room set up

ko777 thank you for directing me to your thread. I'm on page 5 and found the youtube video on setting up the screen room:

Rockwood Hard Side Option Setup Video - YouTube

Also a great video on setting up the camper that is nice for us newbies:

This video says to lower the stabilizer jacks on sand pads? What are those?

So much great information in the thread it's going to take time to get through it since I'm taking notes. Very glad I found it before going to the dealer Monday. It's adding to my list of questions!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #50
Mostly Harmless

By "sand pads" they may have meant something like LynxLevelers. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0028PJ10K
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #51

I've camped on lots of surfaces and so far sand is the only one I can think of that might require pads for the stabilizers. It shifts so easily I could see it being a necessity.

Grass, dirt, gravel, pavement won't require any more footing that already supplied by the pad that is built on to the bottom of the stabilizer jack.

There are some campers that have a more pole like stab jack that would require a pad in more situations, but unless the aframes have changed that's not the case with them.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringgirl View Post
...So much great information in the thread it's going to take time to get through it since I'm taking notes. Very glad I found it before going to the dealer Monday. It's adding to my list of questions!
Don't forget to ask about the lifetime warranty, check my thread, I just posted about it.

Good luck...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #53

"Sand Pads" are just the bottom of the stabilizers. It is their way of explaining that the stabilizers end with a flat surface the won't cut into the ground rather than a metal edge found on swing down stabilizers with lower priced pups.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #54

Thank you

Thanks to all of you who responded. I feel much better prepared to go pick up my A128S tomorrow. It's 425 miles away so I will drive there tomorrow, spend the night in the camper on their lot, and bring it home Tuesday.

I feel like I've become part of a community of nice people and it makes me look forward even more to using my camper.

Apparently the forum doesn't post the location of junior members. I wish you senior members would add your location if it's missing. It's nice to see what part of the world your communicating from.

Gale
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #55
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Thanks to all of you who responded. I feel much better prepared to go pick up my A128S tomorrow. It's 425 miles away so I will drive there tomorrow, spend the night in the camper on their lot, and bring it home Tuesday.
Let us know how it goes.

Quote:
I feel like I've become part of a community of nice people and it makes me look forward even more to using my camper.
Yep, a lot of helpful folks here. We're glad you have joined us as well!

Quote:
Apparently the forum doesn't post the location of junior members. I wish you senior members would add your location if it's missing. It's nice to see what part of the world your communicating from.
You can add your general location, tow vehicle, etc info in your sig.
or put stats in your profile:
Click on your name in the upper right corner of this screen.
Click on the "about me" tab and add (edit) what you would like folks to know about you.

hth,
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #56
Mostly Harmless

In addition to what Deb said about editing your signature, I think you have to set your profile to display both your signature and those of others. It's been a while since I did that, so I don't recall the details but it should be clear once you get to where you set up your profile.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #57

Back home with new camper

I traveled to the dealer on Monday and got home yesterday with my brand new Rockwood A128S. Originally planned on heading straight home Tuesday, but stopped at a campground on the way home. I've spent 2 nights in the camper and I absolutely love the thing. After years of tent camping I feel so spoiled. It's very manageable for me. I can raise and lower it myself -- I have to stand on the step for the door to push up to release the roof. That's no big deal. Now I have to learn to back it up...

I have (and will continue to have) questions. Here's my first few:
  1. The breakaway wire to activate the brakes if the trailer detaches -- where do you hook that? The dealer didn't show me and it's coiled up under the tongue.
  2. Does the battery on the trailer charge while your driving?
  3. There's no clip to hold the door open -- has anyone installed something to hold the door?
  4. What kind of wheel chocks do you suggest?
  5. Someone told me I should turn off overdrive on my Xterra when towing the trailer -- is this correct?

Thanks to all of you for the pre-purchase information.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #58
Mostly Harmless

The wire to the breakaway needs to be attached to the tow vehicle. Mine is attached to where the safety chains hook so when they're hooked up the safety wire is too. Others may slip the loop in the end of the wire over the hitch ball before setting the coupler over the ball.

Whether the battery charges when driving depends on how your trailer plug is wired into the car's electrical system so you should check with your installer. It does on my truck because the factory included the necessary wire and fuse in the trailer plug receptacle.

There will be other suggestions for your next questions--people more knowledgeable than I. Glad you had a great time with your new tiny house!
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 05-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #59

Quote:
The breakaway wire to activate the brakes if the trailer detaches -- where do you hook that? The dealer didn't show me and it's coiled up under the tongue.
Shame on the dealer for letting you get out without complete instructions. The breakaway wire should attach to some part of the TV beside the hitch. (I'll share a secret if you promise not to tell, I hook mine to the hitch because it is easier.)

Quote:
Does the battery on the trailer charge while your driving?
It should if your setup is correct, but it might not. I arrived at camp once with a dead trailer battery because my charge line was not providing enough power while I was running the fridge on 12V. I installed a battery cut off switch after that.

Quote:
What kind of wheel chocks do you suggest?
A full set of inexpensive chocks from Wal-Mart is a first good buy. You could also get a set of Lynx levelers and the chock thats made for that setup. Or go full tilt for a Bal leveler. It never hurts to have a chock set you carry and one for parking at home. That way you don't have to go back to the store after you start off without one or two.

Quote:
Someone told me I should turn off overdrive on my Xterra when towing the trailer -- is this correct?
It depends. If your TV is driving well and staying in the same gear, then the OD is OK to use. If it starts gear seeking by shifting up and down with slight changes in slope, then turn off the overdrive. If your TV has a dedicated towing mode, use it. My Tundra and our old Suburban had a towing mode that just made forced the transmission to shift better but still drop in OD when it could. Although I really haven't noticed any difference with the Tundra.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #60

Good luck, I just took delivery of my A 124 a couple of months ago. Have never previously backed/parked a trailer. Went to Beale AF Base and politely backed into the fence first day. Don't have to worry about damage anymore. Small dent on lft bumper. Still interested in shower drain. No one seems to know.
jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote