Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

Should we keep our A frame

Actuator went out in less than a year. In trying to lower by hand, my wife was knocked off the ladder. And ended up in the ER. We can’t afford to not have the motorized assist work

Those of you that have had it replaced under warranty, have you had further problems?

Sorry, but not you folks who have replaced yourself with something more heavy duty.

We’re really wondering if we should sell it.

We have a 2017 213 HW
mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #2

Mine cashed in it's chips shortly after I got it home. After a brief autopsy, it was fairly obvious to me that just getting another piece of crap to replace the previous piece of crap wasn't the answer.

So to answer one of you're underlying questions, yes, I would say you'll have problems again.

I will add, however, I purchased the Windy Nation actuator mentioned here, and instead of hard wiring it back in place, I just attached a disconnect that will allow me to plug and unplug as needed.

That way, I can use it and put it away, safely out of the elements.

But, I would say that if you're unwilling to buy an aftermarket unit, and you're uncomfortable lifting it, yes, it's time to sell.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:47 AM   #3

I have a 2017 model also. My lift unit failed when I tried to raise the roof after the winter. Forest River replaced it under warranty. The new unit is different than the failed one. It was easy to replace and so far works fine. I am hopeful that this unit is better than the last one that failed.
steve02bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #4

My actuator failed last week after 10 months. Forest River replaced it under warranty and I received it in 5 days from calling them. Mine, as steve02bat, was different. Seemed to be a little more heavy duty and the top looked as thought the seal area had been redone. This one had a plug in assembly which I had to install but was an easy install. Once installed, the unit worked well and and sounded a whole lot better than the OEM unit. Motor seemed to be not to be under so much stress from opening the roof. I hold up one side of the roof to help relieve strain off the motor when raising. During the wait time to get the new actuator, I took a 6 foot shovel handle and placed a rubber end cap on the tampered end of the handle and use this to raise the roof. No need to stand on a footstool or ladder. I place pole in the center of the roof at the top and push. The roof goes up fairly easy and locks into place with no difficulties. When lowering, I just push up by hand on the other roof section slightly to release the locking mechanized and let the roof lower with the torsion bars. Be careful as the roof can come down quickly. I find this way to be faster raising and lowering and I have to problem doing it this way. My last AFrame had no roof assist so it is no problem to me. I am 68 years old and have a bad shoulder from and don't have a lot of strength but using the pole has been a big help and works just fine to me. I have removed the actuator and placed it in the front end of the camper and raise and lower by hand. Will save the actuator if and when I ever sell camper but I doubt that will happen. Love these AFrames. Good Luck in what ever you decide to do.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:56 AM   #5

Thanks. When it failed, did it make any motor sound when you pressed the button? Mine does not, yet all other electrical is fine.
mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #6

Motor sounded like a coffee grinder making all kinds of noise and then just stopped dead. No blown fuses or any other issues with electrical system.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
Itching to go . . .

We took delivery of a T21TBHW (213) a year ago. The lift went out after about 5 months. It was replaced under warranty with one that is stronger and more waterproof. We've had no problems since.
We are retired and not as strong as when in our youth but we managed to manually operate the roof when it failed while on the road.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
Motor sounded like a coffee grinder making all kinds of noise and then just stopped dead. No blown fuses or any other issues with electrical system.
That’s how it went with mine as well.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosure View Post
We took delivery of a T21TBHW (213) a year ago. The lift went out after about 5 months. It was replaced under warranty with one that is stronger and more waterproof. We've had no problems since.
We are retired and not as strong as when in our youth but we managed to manually operate the roof when it failed while on the road.
We have the same one, drove from where we live north of Albuquerque to Denver to get it May 2017. The thought of having to take it all the way there to get things fixed is not pleasant. The actuator on it went out on the 4th use. Fortunately, my daughter and I were able to lift the roof. This was later last year and they did send out what is supposedly a better one. I replaced it back then but until last week, we hadn't been able to try it out. It worked well but we assist a little with wooden poles. These highwalls are a little more difficult to manually lift the roof than with the smaller units.

And to answer the original post, while I do love my A Frame, hindsight is always 20/20. Had I been able to experience it, the issues, fully before we bought it, we likely would have chosen a "regular" camper.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame