Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Shower water capture

I searched through the forums and couldn't find anything on this but I'm sure some of you have run into this situation.

One of the National Park campgrounds we are visiting this year has the following policy regarding Grey Water:

Bathing/Dishwashing:
Wash dishes, bathe, and use only completely
contained
solar showers at your site. Washing
of any kind is not permitted at spigots, drinking
fountains or the RV dump station. Do not wash
dishes in the restroom or gray-water sinks.
Water from dishwashing, bathing and solar
showers must be collected and deposited in
gray-water disposal sinks

We will be there for a few days and although I'm comfortable with how I smell after not showering my companions probably won't be (and visa versa). The campground does not have any shower facilities and I was hoping to use our outdoor shower with my shower tent but not sure how to collect the grey water.

Do any of you have a solution for this or do you just use body wipes?
p40whk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

I would get a large storage bin that can be used for storage when not being used for the shower collection basin. Take a "navy" shower while standing in the bin and you get to meet both requirements, gray water collection and not offending your companions with your "smell". Dishpans would be to small for this task but those Rubbermaid type containers would work pretty good. Just my two cents.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #3

I thought of using a storage bin and didn't consider using it as a double duty container.

I did find this doing a Google search:

I actually think I can make one of these to fit my shower tent. I have a ton of vinyl from an old billboard that is heavy enough to fabricate this and still flexible enough that I can roll it up for storage.

I was thinking of taking a 12V pump and just pumping the water into my grey water jug.

I'll have to take some measurements to see if this is feasible.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Use 4 2x4's, form a square, drape the vinyl over that to make a recessed area. Drain into a container. Did this with the scouts. Drained into a larger (clean) oil changing/drip jug because it was large, flat and easy to pour into. Then took that to the grey water station.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #5

we stayed 2 weeks in glacier last year. Body/ baby wipes are your friend. We then used the pay showers that were located at the nearby hotel when we felt we had to shower
Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #6

They make "adult sized" pre-moistened washcloths. I got a box of 3 packages at Sam's Club. Just the right size and wetness for the quick sponge bath. Best thing is you are fresh without smelling like a baby... I would guess the size is about 2 times the size of a baby wipe, though they are thinner.
tmp1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Junior Old Fart

I've used these before.
From Amazon.
http://a.co/7UuZKya
LTDunltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #8

At Guadalupe Mountains many years ago, I had to fly home and just broke the rules after backpacking for three days and did a quick wash at the sink. I’m perfectly willing to smell bad in a car but not on an airplane. Nowadays with a bit of planning, I would find a truck stop with showers between the park an El Paso airport before the trip. But best to be prepared for vigilant rangers.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #9

Water Heater tray

My husband had a brilliant idea - a plastic water heater tray. Fairly cheap (just under $30), captures water and has a drain built in. I just ordered a 32" round one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tmp1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp1356 View Post
My husband had a brilliant idea - a plastic water heater tray. Fairly cheap (just under $30), captures water and has a drain built in. I just ordered a 32" round one from Amazon.

Thanks, I actually thought of doing that and still might if my other idea doesn't pan out. I have some extremely thick vinyl from an old billboard sign I plan to make into a pan that will fit around my shower tent. Nice thing about this stuff is it's bullet proof and I can fold it up. Will post pics if it works out.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp1356 View Post

Home Depot has them also.
Tom
tommytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower, water