Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #1

Single Step to Double Step Conversion

Single Step to Double Step Conversion

When I did the lift on the AF, going into it we knew the entry step was going to be replaced. Wife didn't like how high it was from the factory. She attempted to use a step stool once and it seemed to give. It was plastic that was used in the kitchen at home, but outside on an unlevel surface was a different story. I'm not lugging a big wood box around.

First had to measure to see what's out there. The dealer wanted BIG bucks (anything RV/Marine/Aviation right?) for the step plus install. Do this first to get over the sticker shock and resolve to DIY. I believe 19+ but just under 20 inches. I found and purchased this double step.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It appears what the factory uses. So step shows up and I get to some more measuring. Got the AF at home and not at in laws shop, so not much room. On our model T19QBHW, there is a floor spar that would interfere with a strap going across the top of the steps, plus a bent lip to the inside. I cut the top strap and side lip pieces off, set the step on the jack and lift into position. I could see real quick the spar is going to interfere. Drop the step and set a piece of wood across the top and start trying to open the steps to measure clearance distances from the bottom of the wood. By yourself, this is like a cat in each arm that is about to be given baths. But got it done. Put those measurements on the spar and cutoff with cordless cut off tool. Set steps back into place and vise gripped into place. Removed jack and did a test opening. Good clearance and ready to be welded. IIRC, the top sides of the step brackets had to be bent outwards slightly to clear. Not an issue. Wasn't going to bolt back on once you see just held on with four bolts. Three to four good welds per side worked. Cutoff tool to cut welds if ever need to remove the steps.

I got it installed then got the wife to come look. She asked me if it'll hold. I told her a little fib and told her I had already put my weight on it. So she got on there and I took a pic. Thought to myself "Well, it's holding her so it must hold me." She was tickled and I got dessert that night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LDJW1295.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	544.2 KB
ID:	244537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2579.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	244538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2580.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	244539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2581.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	244540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2607A.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	244541  

Old 12-13-2020, 10:36 AM   #2

More pics. I'm not sure why pics are coming out sideways, they are oriented correctly when uploaded. Last pic is of the floor spar that had to be trimmed for clearance.

Oh, that "T" style scrap piece I cut off? A different project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SZQA7933.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	244542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2952.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	244543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2953.jpg
Views:	42