Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

Solar Panel Front Roof Mounting (A-FRAMES ONLY)

I know there's another recent solar thread, but this is more specific. Can anyone post photos of your method/hardware to mount solar panels on the front roof of your A-frame? I am going to do one or possibly two (if they'll fit) 100W panels this year.

I have seen Slim Potatohead's install on YouTube but am looking for something specific to our models, and preferably requiring a fairly low level of mechanical skill and creativity.

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
Junior Old Fart

This is my setup. The roof racks came with the trailer.
I used 1 inch X 1/8 inch (or maybe 3/16) flatstock cut 2 inches long. Each corner takes 2 pieces, one inside and one outside.
The inside piece was drilled so a 1/4 X 1 1/2 carriage bolt sat flush and was welded in place to make a T bolt. The outside piece was drilled to clear the T bolt. A poly locknut was installed to clamp it to the rails.
I drilled holes in the back side of the solar panel frames to match the roof rail spacing.
Then on the T bolt a reg nut & flat washer was installed, the solar panel, another flat washer, then a poly locknut just to where it was flush on the back of the nut.
The whole assembly was slid into the rails and tightened.
All hardware is stainless steel.

The panels are connected in parallel and the feed to the controller was routed around the side, up through the roof/wall gap and down to the controller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.0000003 jigawatts.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	225960
Old 03-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #3

Ahh. I hadn't even thought about putting them over the windows. Mine are so abraded I can barely see through them anyway. Thanks!

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame, mount, roo, roof, solar, solar panel