Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Solar Project - Phase 1 - Moving Propane tanks forward

I am planning to install a solar panel this summer in preparation for a Burning Man trip next summer.

For the first phase of this project, I need to relocate the propane tanks forward about 4 inches or so. I need to do this to make room for a pair of new AGM batteries equaling about 200Ah or so of capacity (not sure whether I'll do 2x 12V in parallel or 2x 6v in serial).

From looking at the mounting bracket, it looks like moving the tanks doesn't require anything special, just to drill a couple new holes into the frame. However, I will need to replace the gas line running from the tanks to the frame-mounted gas nozzle with one about 8 inches longer or so. I was curious if anyone here knew whether that gas line was a pretty standard extension line, or something I'd need to get custom made. I haven't looked that close and didn't want to pull it out until I was ready to start the project.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Mostly Harmless

Interesting that you'd need to move the tanks forward. When I changed to a dual battery system, I moved the tanks rearward to give me a few more inches to turn the crank on the tongue jack. To do the dual battery thing, I had to make a new battery bracket and found that I could nestle it slightly closer to the diamond plate than the original was. But my older model doesn't have either a front storage box or a toy hauler platform so if yours does that may be the difference.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
I am planning to install a solar panel this summer in preparation for a Burning Man trip next summer.

For the first phase of this project, I need to relocate the propane tanks forward about 4 inches or so. I need to do this to make room for a pair of new AGM batteries equaling about 200Ah or so of capacity (not sure whether I'll do 2x 12V in parallel or 2x 6v in serial).

From looking at the mounting bracket, it looks like moving the tanks doesn't require anything special, just to drill a couple new holes into the frame. However, I will need to replace the gas line running from the tanks to the frame-mounted gas nozzle with one about 8 inches longer or so. I was curious if anyone here knew whether that gas line was a pretty standard extension line, or something I'd need to get custom made. I haven't looked that close and didn't want to pull it out until I was ready to start the project.
Good day just finished my upgrade I put my new batteries on the back made a new box to fit in to bumper arms added some reinforcement will take that weight off the hitch
jlroadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Mostly Harmless

Can we have a photo or two to show how your rear-bumper add on box is made? And where did you find the longer battery cables? They would be something like 2 or 4 gauge, I suppose...
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #5

I need to move the tanks forward because with the "BH" model, ther's very little space - just enough for one battery mounted across the tongue. If I move the tanks forward 4 inches I should be able to fit 2 side by side perpendicular with the camper.

I have an electric jack, so no need to have the space for the rachet handle.

I too would love to see how youmounted the batteries to the back - would love to put them there if I could - but I always worry about the back bumper.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #6

solar project A128 2012

here are some pictures of my project. The new Battery box is mad of 1/16 inch metal. welded together. I added some support to back of trailer as the bumper arms would not carry the weight the cables used are # 8 4 wire cab tire about 18 Ft found at recycle yard and #2 jumper cable found at Princess Auto on sale last year like a Big R store . the hitch weight is 285 lbs and I am stocked ready to go just need some water[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2335.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	29215[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2326.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	29210

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2329.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	29211

Name:	DSCF2328.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	29212

Name:	DSCF2339.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	29213

Name:	DSCF2351.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	29214 do hope this works I will post other mods later the 4 wire is for the solar to controller & batteries red & black. White and blue for power to return to front where batteries were
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2355.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	29216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2356.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	29217  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Nooooooo. Don't take a new camper to BM. The alkaline dust will kill everything. Get a 1976 holiday rambler that's already toast.

Just saying.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlroadmaster View Post
here are some pictures of my project. The new Battery box is mad of 1/16 inch metal. welded together. I added some support to back of trailer as the bumper arms would not carry the weight the cables used are # 8 4 wire cab tire about 18 Ft found at recycle yard and #2 jumper cable found at Princess Auto on sale last year like a Big R store . the hitch weight is 285 lbs and I am stocked ready to go just need some water
That is impressive looking work. It looks like you could live off grid forever with that setup. How have the new batteries affected your trailer balance?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Mostly Harmless

Very nice workmanlike job, neatly dressed wires, you've done this kind of thing before! I assume that's the solar controller in the underseat area next to the porta potti?
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
That is impressive looking work. It looks like you could live off grid forever with that setup. How have the new batteries affected your trailer balance?

the balance was 350 lbs. on the hitch before to 285 after with the new storage box on
Old 04-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Very nice workmanlike job, neatly dressed wires, you've done this kind of thing before! I assume that's the solar controller in the underseat area next to the porta potti?

the unit under the seat is my 3000 watt DC inverter I did not have the 30amp solar regulator in place yet will be put in battery box beside terminal box this will set it nice and close to the batteries

Tags
solar