Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Spare Tire Mount Bolts

OK, 2 years nearly with Rocko, this weekend going to one of our favorite local campgrounds, my wife trailing me in her Civic. She notices a lot of bouncing on the spare tire and mount.

I check it, the 2 bottom bolts are totally gone!

I remember an old thread that described something similar, couldn't find it?

I jury rigged a repair.

Question, how is the bracket secured on the bottom? The top bolts are carrige type.
Bottom, no evidence found of similar bolts.

Suggestion for any outside-in fixes?

Thanks...
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #2

Not sure if it would hold, Nutsert could be an option.

https://www.google.com/#q=nutsert
Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #3

On my a122s at the top two holes I have bolts coming through from the inside (I guess) with the nuts on the outside, and at the bottom two its just the opposite with the bolt heads on the outside and I guess the nuts are on the inside. My a122s is closed up for winter so I cant get in to see the inside. It might be lag bolts at the bottom?
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAndAbout View Post
On my a122s at the top two holes I have bolts coming through from the inside (I guess) with the nuts on the outside, and at the bottom two its just the opposite with the bolt heads on the outside and I guess the nuts are on the inside. My a122s is closed up for winter so I cant get in to see the inside. It might be lag bolts at the bottom?
At this time I tend to think they may actually be screws (rather than bolts and nuts). Can't be certain though?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #5

this has happened to us on previously owned trailer ... what im thinking is that basically the bracket is tapped into to some sort of supporting structure .. as in .. 2x2 wood pieces.
this has not happened to us with the A122 yet .. but im always on the lookout for it ... by simply giving the spare a little nudge .. when doing a walkaround before we go.
Check for spider cracks where all the bolts/screws are gone .. and seal them up ..

d-mo
Old 02-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

My aframe is in the shop right now for the same reason. Havent been over any bumpy roads. Dealer thinks might have to pull the rear skin off to replace. Of course it is out of warranty. Both screws were missing, nothing broken off.
JEFF ROCKWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #7

On my a126, the bottom attachments are screws. I added a plastic wall anchor, secured with some caulk to help hold it. It's not been the perfect fix as I have to keep an eye in it.

Thinking of a more secure steel/aluminum screw anchor as a better solution.

Can't believe they didn't use the nut bolt type attachment as in the top two.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #8

Based on all the good feedback - a plan?

The bottom of the mount seems to have been secured with screws rather than bolts. The tire bounce not only pulled the screws out but caused the bracket to widen between the top and bottom quite a bit.

The screws must not have had much in the way of wood backing (I checked this by inserting a small screwdriver into each of the holes.).

My thoughts, at this time, is to drill through into the inside of the cabin (in my 128s, this is where the Cool Cat intake area is in my unit). Next, I plan to mount a small wood board in this area against the wall and have long screws coming from and through this board inside to the outside of the unit.

The wood board should provide enough support and bracing for the bolts. Problem is finding screws long enough to do this (and placing the board on the inside as this is a hard to get to location).

Before, I do this, I will look for at potential fasteners at my local Home Depot and Lowes.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #9

A quick fix for striped out wood screw holes is to drill them out and glue a piece of dowel into the hole, making sure the dowel and bit are the same diameter. Then drill a new pilot hole and replace the screw. Use a hardwood dowel if you can find one. The repair will be as good as new. In this case, "new" may not be all that great but is at least fixed without tearing things apart.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
The wood board should provide enough support and bracing for the bolts. Problem is finding screws long enough to do this (and placing the board on the inside as this is a hard to get to location).
If you cannot find screws long enough could you use threaded rod?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
The bottom of the mount seems to have been secured with screws rather than bolts. The tire bounce not only pulled the screws out but caused the bracket to widen between the top and bottom quite a bit.

The screws must not have had much in the way of wood backing (I checked this by inserting a small screwdriver into each of the holes.).

My thoughts, at this time, is to drill through into the inside of the cabin (in my 128s, this is where the Cool Cat intake area is in my unit). Next, I plan to mount a small wood board in this area against the wall and have long screws coming from and through this board inside to the outside of the unit.

Before, I do this, I will look for at potential fasteners at my local Home Depot and Lowes.
Water must be going into the unit if the (fastener) holes are larger than Fac. How did they seal these (fasteners) at the Fac.? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Water must be going into the unit if the (fastener) holes are larger than Fac. How did they seal these (fasteners) at the Fac.? Youroo!!
They use a clear silicone caulk material around the holes and fasteners.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
OK, 2 years nearly with Rocko, this weekend going to one of our favorite local campgrounds, my wife trailing me in her Civic. She notices a lot of bouncing on the spare tire and mount.

I check it, the 2 bottom bolts are totally gone!

I remember an old thread that described something similar, couldn't find it?

I jury rigged a repair.

Question, how is the bracket secured on the bottom? The top bolts are carrige type.
Bottom, no evidence found of similar bolts.

Suggestion for any outside-in fixes?

Thanks...
The dealer told me there is a board behind the fiberglass wall. He told me he repaired this problem by inserting wall anchors, the kind you use in repairing drywall.

Tags
tire, mount