Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #21

Used the heck out of ours for 3 years, just bought another to replace it.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcaterino View Post
One word of warning: The Camp Chef puts out a crazy 30,000 BTUs! I burned a number of things until I got the hang of it!
Since Camp Chef makes many models of cookers, which one are you referring to?

I have a Grill Box 30 which I use on my Explorer 60 and I never had issues with burning my food since it is cooking with infrared heat.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #23

The OEM grill is garbage. I've been using grills for 35+ years at home and at work so I'd say that I've well versed.

I used the OEM grill one time only. I cooked a 1" thick steak on it. The whole steak was well done before I could ever sear some grill lines onto it or even get the bbq sauce warm.

If you like the grill you have now and know how it produces results, don't waste your time with the OEM one. It's only worth grilling wieners on.

FYI... there are loads of threads on this very topic.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...end-31709.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oods-4641.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ill-40094.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lls-45974.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-119150.html
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #24

I used mine all summer and had no problems. I really like not having to setup a table for the grill.
pipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Our "stock Grill" has been in use since late 2012 and still works fine. I did have to work on the igniter once when it was new...dont remember what I did, but it's been working since. Have not had any issues cooking anything we've put on it. Would like to have a better grill, but this one just keeps on ticking.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #26

I was thinking that using the provided mount for the side of the trailer would be a bad idea. High heat next top fiberglass. Anybody else share my concern or am I worrying needlessly?
treblehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #27

Treblehook17 - It stands away from the side and there is a good airbag between the camper and grill. We used ours in a windy Texas day with no problems.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblehook17 View Post
I was thinking that using the provided mount for the side of the trailer would be a bad idea. High heat next top fiberglass. Anybody else share my concern or am I worrying needlessly?
RV manufacturers have been putting grill on the side of their filon-sided RVs for many years.
in 12 years of being on various RV forums, I have NEVER read of any warranty claim from this grill setup.
We used ours over 10 years and never had any issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:05 AM   #29

Wow! Thank you for the input. I think I'm going to give it a try and report back to all of you. Sure hope it works well. Quite convenient.
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Used the heck out of ours for 3 years, just bought another to replace it.
X's 2 on this, I just love mine, yes I'm on my second one but I cook 90% of our meals on it. I put it on when I arrive and it stays on until I leave. I can even smoke ribs and pork butts on it, you just have to learn how to use it, I keep it clean and painted with high temp paint..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 AM   #31

The RVQ grill is not a high temp grill. Cooking techniques need to take this into consideration. If you are in a hurry it probably is not for you. We added a small cast iron griddle to help hold and distribute the temp evenly. It works well from breakfast to dinner. Good for you for giving it a try, always the best approach instead of relying on other people's opinion .
Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurek View Post
Since Camp Chef makes many models of cookers, which one are you referring to?

I have a Grill Box 30 which I use on my Explorer 60 and I never had issues with burning my food since it is cooking with infrared heat.
It's the 14" Explorer two burner. I have the Deluxe BBQ Grill Box 30 and both the 30 and 60 Flat Top Griddles. We use the 60 for summer parties. It's an amazing system! Still I've burned food on both the Grill box and the Griddle. As long as you don't turn the heat up too high you'll be fine.
wcaterino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #33

Also ditched the stock grill, but I really liked the solidly built mounting bracket, so I rigged up a wooden shelf that slides onto it, and put my little Cuisinart portable (with quick connect fitting instead of regulator) on the shelf. For safety, I drilled through the Cuisinart feet and the shelf, and drop in a couple of small bolts to keep it from sliding around.
Dubaigary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #34

I like the grill and use it once every few trips, just for simple things like brats and burgers. One thing I don't like is that it doesn't sit completely flat, and I keep it directly on the floor of the front storage compartment so I worry about pressure being put on the bottom of the igniter, which is not level with the rest of the bottom of the grill.

I too have been a little concerned about mounting on the side wall at high heat, but the bigger issue with that is smoke potentially going into the window (when open) directly above.

I am surprised at the variation of people's impressions of the stock grill in this thread, but maybe I shouldn't be considering the number of non-A-frame owners responding who might not have a similar grill.

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #35
World Traveler Member

This is a very lightweight grill and Used it all the time, I just got 3 years of use after repairing the loose and missing screws. I put rivets in their place but I got a second new stove from my brother who has the same trailer and does not want it. I always put foil in the bottom for easier cleaning, just do not cover the air holes. I only do steaks mostly since their is almost no clean up. I pre cook my bacon before going or cook on the open fire as this is not a great BBQ for cleaning. If you do a lot of BBQ for a large group it would be better to use a different one but for my wife and me this is fine.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #36

If anyone is looking for a new grill, now is the time to buy. My OE grill is on its last legs, and the legs were not too strong when it was new. It cooks unevenly, has hot spots, is hard to clean, and is just basically a cheap grill built to a price point.

Anyway, been looking for a replacement. Settled on a Weber Q series since I have been very satisfied with my Weber at home. Retails for $220....many places sell for $199....too expensive. Local WM end of season clearance $154.
Waited one week...reduced to $99.
Talked to dept Mgr. She punched a code into her scanner. New price... $75...
Everybody has grills on clearance since it's end of season.
Don't be afraid to ask if they can do better. They don't want to store them till next year.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #37

We laughed at the stock grill. Assumed we would replace it. Three years later we love the damn thing!
Bustedrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Don't be afraid to ask if they can do better. They don't want to store them till next year.
The seven magic words: " Is that the best you can do?"

Amazing what you can get by just asking. If you are dealing with a floor flunky ( sorry if I'm offending any floor flunky ), don't be afraid to ask for a manager.

Needed parts for one of my grills ( have 8, some high end, some basic beaters ). Saw the exact grill at Home Depot with a dent in it. I only wanted to strip it for parts, so told the floor person that nobody would buy it with that dent and I'd offer $10. He pretty much laughed me off and said they don't do that. I asked for a manager. Manager comes over, I explain again, nobody will buy it with the dent. He agrees and says how about $5

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I have a Coleman Roadtrip and, while satisfied with its versatility, it really doesn't put out enough heat to cook for multiple people. It's also heavy and I have not used it for anything other than camping with the trailer, which I thought I might.

We're planning to get a trailer with a outside kitchen so the value of the Roadtrip as a cooktop is diminished. I'm also looking for ways to cut out weight.

With that in mind, the stainless steel grill from Sam's looks attractive. Has anyone used to stock grill attachment to hang it off the wall of the trailer?
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #40

Feel free to buy mine....it has never been used.....