Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2022, 05:52 PM   #1
Mountain Goddess

Storage cover suggestions?

Hi All!

I have an Forest River Flagstaff AFrame and it's stored outside. I have tried the RV covers the dealer sells and that lasted a few months, $100+ lost. Last year tried a 16ml poly tarp, also shredded pretty quickly (but more cost effective, even if I have to replace every year.) Was thinking about a canvas tarp. Anyone have experience with those? And, yes, I made sure everything was secured well. We don't get much precipitation here in the high desert of Idaho, but we get the occasional wind storm and the corners of the aframe seem to rip whatever is put on it.

Thanks in advance!
Annabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #2

I use a heavy duty poly tarp for my A122s in the high desert of southern California. I put an old pillow under the tarp on each corner so no wear spots. I run a rope bungee from front to back on both sides of the frame and then ball bungees attached to the rope bungees at each grommet. I've only had the trailer for 6 months but the tarp shows no wear so far.
Gregq291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #3

I have had very good luck with Classic Covers, I am on my third one (3rd different RV), where we are we get a lot of snow in the winter thus the model I chose performs well in those conditions, and the underbelly straps keep the cover in place during the winter storm high winds we also get. And they do not chaff like some of the other covers do. I would also recommend a set of cover protector caps (similar to the links below).

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Acces.../dp/B008FITHS0
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42261-C...%2C137&sr=1-18
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 01:48 PM   #4
Mountain Goddess

Thank you, will try that! Do you recall how thick your tarp was in ml?
Old 08-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #5
Mountain Goddess

Thank you!
Old 08-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #6

My tarp is 12 mil. It's 15' x 20' which is just about right for the A122s. Found it on Amazon.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:57 PM   #7

It's really recommended NOT to use tarps as they do NOT breath and trap moisture inside and underneath the tarp. I use ADCO designer series on all of my TT's over the years. With a little TLC I was able to get 3-4 years out of them and that is going thru midwest winters every year.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
It's really recommended NOT to use tarps as they do NOT breath and trap moisture inside and underneath the tarp. I use ADCO designer series on all of my TT's over the years. With a little TLC I was able to get 3-4 years out of them and that is going thru midwest winters every year.
Totally agree. Made the mistake of using a regular tarp on my popup, when I lived in California.
All kinds of mold and mildew.
Always use a breathable RV cover.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:33 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip, however I live at the western edge of the Mojave Desert. Moisture is not an issue. My cover concern is protecting my trailer from the blazing sun. If you have some extra rain, please send it our way.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #10
Mountain Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Thank you! However, I bought the ADCO cover and it lasted only a few months and it was torn to smithereens. Given the poly tarp is only covering the top so has lots of air underneath and so far no damage to the RV (only to the tarp), I'm not paying that kind of money for something that tears so easily. Glad it's working for you, though! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:15 PM   #11
Mountain Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Totally agree. Made the mistake of using a regular tarp on my popup, when I lived in California.
All kinds of mold and mildew.
Always use a breathable RV cover.
Thanks for the tip. Like Gregg, I'm mostly protecting from the blazing sun. We don't get much precipitation here. I bought the ADCO cover and it lasted a few months. The fabric was torn to smithereens. Given the tarp only covers the top and has airflow thanks to the bubble windows I've had no issues with mold or mildew. But thanks for the feedback. Glad they are working for you!
Old 09-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabanana View Post
Thanks for the tip. Like Gregg, I'm mostly protecting from the blazing sun. We don't get much precipitation here. I bought the ADCO cover and it lasted a few months. The fabric was torn to smithereens. Given the tarp only covers the top and has airflow thanks to the bubble windows I've had no issues with mold or mildew. But thanks for the feedback. Glad they are working for you!

I bought a portable garage that is 10x17 & 9 ft high from harbor freight 3 years ago. I keep a tarp over that tied down at sides. Tarps last 2 years. Keeps sun off and provides good protection from snow & rain.
Roy
2011 Toyota Highlander
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:46 PM   #13
Mountain Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy334 View Post
I bought a portable garage that is 10x17 & 9 ft high from harbor freight 3 years ago. I keep a tarp over that tied down at sides. Tarps last 2 years. Keeps sun off and provides good protection from snow & rain.
Roy
Thx but not an option where it's being stored.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #14

Since the desert winds tear up the covers and your main concern is the sun beating on the roof, you might want to consider getting a wax that contains UV protectant.
Some people on the forum have recommended 303 protectant pr something similar. If you had a rubber roof, that might not be appropriate, but I think you have a hard roof.
You might have to reapply, but that would be a whole lot cheaper than a cover and applying it should be easy with it folded.

Tags
cover, storage