Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #1

Storing in open position

So it has been mentioned mostly in passing on threads that storing an a-frame in the "popped up" position is best. Can we discuss the how's and why's of this?

ThePoms
Rockwood
2016 A212HW
thepoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #2

For me it is a simple matter that when closed water pools and seeks places to leak in when it rains. When it rains and the camper is popped up, the sharp angle of the roof makes for rapid run off and less likelihood of water intrusion. Plus, I recently started keeping the windows and top vents opened for circulation. Now, if I had covered storage, none of this would matter and I probably would just keep it closed when not in use. Probably less pressure on the springs when opened as well, but I do worry about bungee deterioration in the direct sun.
epcotisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Retread Popup Owner

I think if we didn't have covered storage I might consider leaving it popped up. We have ours under a carport, and also have it covered with a breathable cover.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #4

Mine stays down. My neighborhood has rules against storing an RV that is visible from the street and the popped up roof does more than just peek out from behind the gate.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #5

My dealer said use your tongue jack to lift the front up so that the rainwater runs down the back, also bought a rain proof Sunbrella cover.
Jacink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

in the 4 years i have owned this camper, it is closed nose down. there is no issues with the torsion bars, and this myth has generated from another board, and brought into this one.
my rear window has been an issue since a year after we purchased this unit. it would always leak in the up position, never when folded up.
Even with 3m extreme sealing tape installed last year, the window still seems unstable, but was fixed with a bead of RV flex on the upper ledge of the 3m tape.

d-mo