Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #1

Stove for outdoor rail?

I'm looking for a one or two burner stove that would hang on the outside rail and connect to the camper's propane.

Has anyone seen a stove like that?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #2

That's a very good question. I second that quest for knowledge.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

I offered to trade my brand new R-V-que for some such animal last Fall. I don't believe anyone even suggested where I could get a propane stove to fit the rail which would also connect to the trailer's line. Got lots of suggestions for free-standing stoves.......

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #4

I do not believe it is possible. The problem is the pressure.

The outlet you talk about is located after the pressure regulator on your tanks. Because of that it is considered a low pressure line. The RVQ's run on the low pressure.

Other stoves have their own regulators built in because you connect a tank directly to it. The problem is if you hook up a low pressure line to a unit that has a regulator built in, it will be even lower pressure. It would not generate any flame.

Tank - regulator - regulator = very low gas flow.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a outside 2 burner stove top that came with my sabre.
no it doesn't fit on the outside rvq rail but rather is on a drawer slide and fits into a cubby.
I'd check with forest river parts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1407844883654.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	60277

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1407845006932.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	60278

turbs

"sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I do not believe it is possible. The problem is the pressure.

The outlet you talk about is located after the pressure regulator on your tanks. Because of that it is considered a low pressure line. The RVQ's run on the low pressure.

Other stoves have their own regulators built in because you connect a tank directly to it. The problem is if you hook up a low pressure line to a unit that has a regulator built in, it will be even lower pressure. It would not generate any flame.

Tank - regulator - regulator = very low gas flow.

Vin.
You have 2 issues. As quoted, you have to find a 2 burner stove that will run on low pressure, and does not have a regulator. One designed for a small PUP interior will be your best bet. They will not be as cheap as you would hope.

The sceond issue is once you have a suitable stove is designing a mount system that uses the rail. This is not as hard if you are reasonably handy. On my Coleman Westlake PUP, the included outside stove had the particle board mounting pad disintegrate over time. I removed the hardware, and built a new pad out of marine plywood. I made the surface and folding support size to suit me, and used the existing stove and rail hardware.

When we bought the A122 this past March, after 1 attempt to mount the RVque grill, it was semi-permanently stored in our garage overhead (along with the Porta-Potti). We use a 2 burner propane stove (not Coleman due to propane leaks in the several I have owned) with the throw-away bottles at the picnic table as our primary cooking device. The bottles last at least a full weekend camping trip of cooking - and I'm not BBQing or cooking against the side of the camper. Also, I have the rest of the picnic table as an adjacent work surface.

FWIW, dishes are washed at the picnic table also. I have 2 nesting tubs, one for washing and one for rinse, and a collapsible drying rack. We use mostly paper products, so washing is mainly for cooking items and utensils.

just our camping style and experiences
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #8

The carry out stoves Forest River uses for their pop-ups work on A frames. Check with a dealer. The Robert's RV site in Denver has one listed in their parts inventory. They have the same quick connect and work without a separate regulator.
kkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #9

Harbor freight has one that is SS 2 burner with griddle for less than $100, but it is free standing
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #10

If you find the one you want but it has a built in regulator you can just replace it with a quick connect fitting instead.

I picked up a Weber Q the other day and made the conversion. Works great.

Couldn't find a 1/8 to quick connect anywhere so just picked up this 1/4 to quick connect from Camco: Item

Also needed a 1/4" female to 1/8" female reducing coupling from the local hardware store and some propane/natural gas safe thread sealant since the connection from the Weber is a 1/8" male and the QD adapter is a 1/4" male.

This is not the specific one I got, but this is what was needed: PARKER Reducng Coupling,Brass,1/4 In. x 1/8 In. - Brass Pipe Fittings - 13Y912|208P-4-2 - Grainger Industrial Supply

TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkin View Post
The carry out stoves Forest River uses for their pop-ups work on A frames. Check with a dealer. The Robert's RV site in Denver has one listed in their parts inventory. They have the same quick connect and work without a separate regulator.
It's interesting that the stoves shown in the parts list are made by Suburban - however, a search for "Suburban 2 burner stove" only produces results for the drop in, not the side rail type. Guess some "handy" person could make a platform for the drop in type. I'll have to look into that a little further.

Presently, I am using my regular 2-burner camp stove on a platform my friendly neighborhood welder made for me.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 08-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensinc View Post
I'm looking for a one or two burner stove that would hang on the outside rail and connect to the camper's propane.

Has anyone seen a stove like that?

Thanks!
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2-burner_stove_black_front.jpg
Views:	1676
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	60387  
Old 08-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #13

something like this Thursday I want I want Will go to closet forest river pop up dealer to see if they have one, Thursday
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #14

[QUOTE=dts3204;678288]something like this Thursday I want I want Will go to closet forest river pop up dealer to see if they have one, Thursday[/QUOTe
I have one from my old Rockwood pop up. Fits perfectly. Picture is current model.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #15

I too did not like the outdoor grill and had my dealer replace it with a 3-burner stove. Both 2 and 3-burner stove are available from FR. The are used in the lower end popups for use indoors or out. My wife loves it as she does not stink up the camper when doing heavy duty cooking.

See:

http://robertssales.com/options/stoves.html
Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrapp View Post
I too did not like the outdoor grill and had my dealer replace it with a 3-burner stove. Both 2 and 3-burner stove are available from FR. The are used in the lower end popups for use indoors or out. My wife loves it as she does not stink up the camper when doing heavy duty cooking.

See:

Stove Options for Flagstaff Camping Trailers | Roberts Sales - Denver, Colorado
I'll check with my local dealer on availability.

I don't think we used the stove in our '08 Roo more than 2-3 times in the years we had it and haven't used the stove in our current Flagstaff. DW doesn't like cooking with gas and I would prefer doing it outside. Always cooked outside when we had our pop-up... I just have more room outside than in.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #17

I have a stainless steel grill from our Roo (it hangs on the side rail) that we dont use any longer since moving up to a 5th wheel. Used maybe 10 times, with storage bag. If anyone is interested let me know.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #18

Not to derail the thread, but has anyone personally used a standard coleman type camp stove on low pressure gas? Does it even work?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #19

I have a Coleman NXT. They are only designed to use high pressure. (small bottles or your propand BEFORE regulators. I have read where some folks have tried to remove the regulator on the NXT bus it has a odd ball thread size.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Not to derail the thread, but has anyone personally used a standard coleman type camp stove on low pressure gas? Does it even work?
This doesn't really answer your question but....

My 2000 Coleman Westlake had an external gas disconnect that bypassed the regulator up at the tanks. I got an extension hose to run our Roadmaster grill from the camper gas line instead of using the small bottles.

The downside of this arrangement with high pressure take-off ahead of the regulator is that the now-standard regulator with built-in switch between tanks and pressure gauge doesn't work so well with a take-off in front of it. On the Coleman camper, I manually re-attached the output lines to the other tank when the first ran out.

Frankly, using the camper gas line was more hassle than using the small bottles (in our usage situation). Even powering a grill, the small bottles were good for at least a meal each. Portablility with the small bottles is/was a big plus for us. Could locate the grill anywhere on the site we wanted to use it.

With a 2 burner stove that does all our cooking the bottles typically last 2 or more long weekends (cooking and hot water for cleanup 2 meals a day for 3 days).

Since I have the outside shower on the A122 (never used as a shower so far), I am looking to mod that a little to use as a hot water dispenser for dish washing/cleanup instead of a kettle on the stove.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door