Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #21

I turn on ref a couple of days before leaving on trip,I put a bag of ice in freezer then after over nite for it to cool down we load it up. When we pull out I put it on propane until I get plugged into power at campground .worked for me for years
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
The unit will not run on 12v only or propane only.
The smaller units are 3 way and will do just that. No 12V control circuit, have to be lit, switched, and adjusted from outside usually.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Not quite. The unit runs on either 120v, or 12v AND propane. The unit will not run on 12v only or propane only.
The OP has an A-frame, which comes with a 3-way fridge, not 2-way like most RVs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #24

Yes its a 3 way fridge that has an Auto selection so would it be advisable once I have it cold at home on 120v to switch it to Auto instead of DC before departure? Curious how smart the little fridge's are, will it sequence between DC and Gas (propane open)on the road when plugged in to Tow Vehicle as needed to keep a set temp? Thanks for all the reply's a lot of good suggestions on the forum.

Rockwood A214HW
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #25

You might not be able to run the 12V element from your tow vehicle charge line. It will depend upon the wire size and how it is setup. The newer F-150's like mine have a charge line with a small gauge wire and charge circuit that is not capable of providing the 14-15 amps the 12V heater needs (with everything else in the trailer the current is closer to 20 amps). I have run a new heavier gauge line with all the fixins from the TV battery to the trailer to be able to run the 12V fridge element while driving.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Yes its a 3 way fridge that has an Auto selection so would it be advisable once I have it cold at home on 120v to switch it to Auto instead of DC before departure? Curious how smart the little fridge's are, will it sequence between DC and Gas (propane open)on the road when plugged in to Tow Vehicle as needed to keep a set temp? Thanks for all the reply's a lot of good suggestions on the forum.
The fridges in high wall A-frames and PUPs are more like small RV fridges than the fridges in the standard A-frames and PUPs. The High Wall models are thermostatically controlled and have a DC control board and are auto-start on propane.

Fridges in standard height A-frames and PUPs are continuous run with no thermostatic control (there are dials on AC and propane that set the amount of fuel/power used), and are manual start. They can be difficult to start on propane at high altitudes, but cool just fine.

For the OP, write down the fridge model number and download the fridge manual from the Internet. That will tell you whether or not your particular fridge will automatically shift to 12V DC - many RV fridges do not. Usually, the Auto setting will switch to propane if 120V is not available. 12V DC operation is a separate setting.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame (not high-wall)
2008 Hyundai Entourage
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #27

Vinnie The auto feature is pretty smart. I use it most of the time. It looks first to AC, then Propane . If it can't find those, it switches to 12 volt. Sometimes I prefer to select the one I want, instead of the auto feature looking around switching to the most efficient and not the one I prefer.
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Always left my popups frig on propane for the road. Still do this with my TT. I've yet to explode.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
The smaller units are 3 way and will do just that. No 12V control circuit, have to be lit, switched, and adjusted from outside usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP has an A-frame, which comes with a 3-way fridge, not 2-way like most RVs.
Thanks. I did not know they made a 3-way. I stand corrected.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #30
jpo

Traveled last week through Utah. While on the road I was running the fridge on propane and it blew out. It was quite windy out but that's a concern I've always had so in the future I'll run it off battery while towing and then go to propane when stopped.

And I regularly boondock or disperse camp at elevation and I've never had a propane issue.
jpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #31

We run an extension to the camper the night before and load up the fridge. When we connect up in the morning to leave, we switch to DC. If we stop for just an hour or so on the way, we leave it on DC. Longer than that, we switch to gas.

2013 T12SC Flagstaff Classic
2013 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 05-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #32
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
X2...I did it with my pop up and do it now with the ROO 23SS.
This is the way most people do it as I, Plug in at home and switch to propane on the way out.

DC does work but you better remember to switch to propane upon arrival if you use it.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I was told by Dealer that the best way to travel with the 3way Fridge running is
1. Hook up to electricity before travel get Fridge cold put on coldest setting.
2. Right before taking off put Fridge on warmer setting switch to battery.
3. Tow vehicle with tow package has battery charge line that will keep battery from draining.

I guess when stopped and no electricity available switch to gas propane.

Would like to know if others travel this way and any tips that could be helpful.

Thanks
The charge line from the TV may or may not prevent the battery from draining. It depends on the voltage delivered at the plug from the TV at that current draw. I wouldn't count on it though.

The simple solution is to run on gas. That is what campers with two way fridges do, since there is no option for 12V only. If the fridge burner blows out on the road, then use the 12V setting.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, travel