RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydubya81 View Post
...I'm willing to take the risk. I could buy a new AC unit for what you give for a real ems unit, it's not that serious...

I dunno about that. I guess the real answer is "it depends".

An EMS 30A from best converter.com is 187 bucks, 217 if you want the remote display. EMS-HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display

A Coleman Mach 15 AC unit for my rig is around 800 bucks (currently "on sale" for 650) from a place like camping world, although I've seen them as low as 500-550-ish bucks. Coleman-Mach 15 Air Conditioner - Arctic White - Rv Products 48204C866/48204C966 - Air Conditioners - Camping World

And while I'm certainly capable of swapping out an AC unit, it's definitely something I ever want to do if I don't have too. It gets even more expensive if someone can't install one on their own or are in the middle of a trip and need to have it replaced (IE: not home, no tools, no place, etc)

That's prices for my rig, maybe a smaller AC is less. The EMS price is also for a 30A, 50A is more. But if you need a 50A, your AC is going to be more expensive also.

For sure you don't NEED an EMS, but as I mentioned before it's insurance (and peace of mind) against wishing you had installed one if you ever have to replace that tv, ac unit, fridge, etc.

Depends on your level of risk acceptance I guess. It's something I've always wanted to install, but I've been using the trailer off and on for 7 years and no issues. Of course, I haven't had one hooked up so I don't even really know if it's ever been in a brown out condition or been surged. So there's no way to know if I have or have not had the rig in brown out or surge conditions.

I installed an ems 30A this spring and happy with it for the minimal cash outlay. I'm in a seasonal site this year and have watched the voltage drop to 107V in the middle of the week. Who knows what it does on the weekends when everyone is in their sites and running the AC? I can also leave the rig plugged in when we leave to keep the batteries charged and healthy or leave the Fridge running if I want and be relatively confident the rig is well protected and will be fine when we come back next week or a couple days later.

To me, for 200-ish bucks: totally worth it.

But you're not going to burst into flames if you don't have one either.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
JoArt, I'm in the same boat as you. I know buying one of these expensive gizmos is not a bad idea and another layer of protection, but are they really as necessary as folks who have them say they are?

We have travelled all over the states and stayed in lots of RV parks for 30+ years and never had an electrical problem.

So do your homework and weigh the pros and cons of investing in one.

I think I'll take another couple of years to think about it

But when you do, it'll be a doozy. We arrived in a top resort in AZ a few years ago at 10pm. Plugged in; BAM. Called emergency #. On call electrician checked out pedestal, ok. ( not ).
He left. We feared FIRE and it blew wires on water heater; burned up micro wave. Stayed unhooked and slept in unit. ( even unhooked battery and shut off propane) Next morning; another electrician: open neutral ground!! Could have burned us up. Everything fixed and replaced by resort immediately. I had an EMS SYSTEM THAT NEXT DAY!!

A gun is never loaded and kills a child until it does!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #23

Have a friend that plugged there TT in at a RV park without the protection and it fried their frig, both TV's and did damage to the wiring. The RV park covered the damage but the trailer was never the same again. Worth the investment to get the protection.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #24

The main reason we have an EMS is so I don't forget to check the power pole. With the EMS I either have a good power source or I don't get any power. Before I got the EMS, I had to remember to pull out the DVM and manually check the outlets. One less thing to do and remember. Google something like "electrocuted by rv". Again, it's not a thing that happens a lot, maybe something like getting hit by lightning. Again it's all risk and how much of it you don't mind versus $.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #25
Canadian Member

I've had a 30A PI EMS in my campers for about 5 years now. I've never experienced a power surge error so I would suggest that a simple "surge protector" is likely of little value. However, I see low voltage regularly when the ACs are in use. Saw it once at a local Provincial Park when nobody was using their ACs. I think I may have even seen high voltage once. I've also seen a mis-wired post causing a "hot skin" condition. So the EMS is very valuable to me. This year I supplemented the EMS with a Hughes Autoformer to boost voltage and avoid having the EMS cut power.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #26
Site Team

This thread contains several references to the fact that members or family have been camping 30-40 years without an EMS system with no problem so why get one now. The simple answer is things have changed. In the past RVs and TT were smaller and had lower energy requirements. 30 years ago many TT had no AC and those that did had one small unit. Today it is not unusual to see campgrounds full of large units with 2 and 3 ACs, residential fridges etc. Unfortunately many of the campgrounds still have the same wiring they had 30 years ago that was not designed for today's demand. The forum is full of posts about ideas on how to use not only the 30A outlet in a pedestal but also the 15/20A outlet.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #27

Here's the REAL answer:

I have one and I pray it NEVER gets used...........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoArt View Post
Hello,
I am wanting some input into how important a Surge Protection plug has been for folks.
Are these needed because you are loading in heavy power needed items like a TVs or several computers at the same time?
I wondered if any one has had an electrical power surge that might have been prevented because of the Surge Protector?
If I needed one of these....I have a 102A Rockwood would I need more than the 30amps? What is the "enhanced diagnostics" Surge Protection? Is it needed?
What brand/ mark would folks recommend purchasing?
Does Rockwood already have a Surge Protection device already in the trailer?

Thanks in advance I know I have a lot of questions.

I read about this topic and got one for our trailer. Alerted two times for low voltage and once for improper connection at the pedestal. Also tripped a few times when the power blinked momentarily then came back on. Don't know if that would have hurt anything as the surge guard protected us for the two minute reset. We had a Surge Guard on our previous trailer and a Progressive Industries one for our new fiver. I would not be without one now.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
But when you do, it'll be a doozy/......snip....../ Next morning; another electrician: open neutral ground!! Could have burned us up. Everything fixed and replaced by resort immediately. I had an EMS SYSTEM THAT NEXT DAY!!

A gun is never loaded and kills a child until it does!
Your argument for an EMS would be more effective without the fear mongering metaphor. I disregard any post that hints that I will kill someone unless I do whatever it is that is being argued for.

My only real-life experience with an EMS was with a friend who purchased one. He sold it after 2 years of it shutting off power to his rig for various reasons, he would call the facility, they would find no problem, etc. He went back to doing like most of us do (I think) and checking the pole manually.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #30

an other 2 cents

Due to not having spare money to replace anything in my trailer the EMS is great insurance. Mine has shut down due to low amps, not saying that wasn't inconvenience but I know that prolong low and high voltage shortened the life of all electrical items. So in saying that I have a friend that plugged their 30 amp TT in at a home without a protection unit and fried their frig, a TV's, converter, and lights that they left on. The trailer was not the same for awhile because of the over load that weaken breakers that were later replaced as needed. Had he had the right protection this wouldn't of happened. Did he go purchase one.... Nope.... Worth the investment to get the protection up to you for sure because you don't need an EMS, but as I mentioned before it's insurance (and peace of mind) against you ever having to replace that tv, ac unit, fridge, etc, and loosing out on that one and other camping until repaired. My EMT have a life time warranty that I havent had to use because it is designed to reset itself so no need yet. So for me so far is the 400.00 spent has or will save me the expense, troubles and possible missed camping....yes
Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #31

This does point out an interesting point about this site, in general.

If people have a firm opinion about a topic that differs from mine, like Scott does above, then I'm more than willing to discuss what I know, if he wants. But I'm also willing to listen to him and let him do it HIS way if he really wants that. There's no point in just hammering folks over some opinion.

That said, I do differentiate that from a guy who asks for information........who doesn't know what I know, and doesn't know what Scott knows either (and I've been there and still am often!!), and just wants information. I will gladly give my opinion and the reasons for it, but I am swayed by others when they are knowledgeable.

Truth be told, I've changed my mind......firm as it was initially........many times because of this Forum. Heck, I have a dually truck simply because of what I learned here. I've made a lot of changes after learning stuff here. But I've also learned that almost every opinion is not shared ubiquitously. Sorta like the rest of life! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Your argument for an EMS would be more effective without the fear mongering metaphor. I disregard any post that hints that I will kill someone unless I do whatever it is that is being argued for.

My only real-life experience with an EMS was with a friend who purchased one. He sold it after 2 years of it shutting off power to his rig for various reasons, he would call the facility, they would find no problem, etc. He went back to doing like most of us do (I think) and checking the pole manually.

Ive had 2 bad pedestals at campgrounds and in both cases the park said it was "fine" and did nothing. Can't always rely on them. EMS and testing manually showed otherwise. Luckily our friend was with us and fixed it.
SC 2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #33

a hughes autoformer will protect you from a surge and keep you from high or low voltage,piece of mind,or roll the dice,your chose!!
cowbisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #34

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5179.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	144141
We got this - since we are new to Rving- I am glad I did - get something to be on the safe side. The hookup might have poles reversed , low voltage - if the lite line up - you are good to go
Carl Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoArt View Post
Hello,
I am wanting some input into how important a Surge Protection plug has been for folks.
Are these needed because you are loading in heavy power needed items like a TVs or several computers at the same time?
I wondered if any one has had an electrical power surge that might have been prevented because of the Surge Protector?
If I needed one of these....I have a 102A Rockwood would I need more than the 30amps? What is the "enhanced diagnostics" Surge Protection? Is it needed?
What brand/ mark would folks recommend purchasing?
Does Rockwood already have a Surge Protection device already in the trailer?

Thanks in advance I know I have a lot of questions.
Howdy Jo, I may be reading your questions wrong, so this may be overkill below. I am reading it that you may be thinking the surge is from your RV's electrical usage.

The surge protectors and the Electrical/Energy Management Sytems (EMS) with built in surge protection..... actually protect your RV and it's electrical components from surges/problems coming from the campgrounds power supply towards your RV.

This article may better explain it all, which is really a summation of all the good advice our members have been explaining to you. This just puts it all in one reading.

RV Surge Protectors = Protecting “The Beast” Against Bad Power & Surges With EMS-HW50C ‚€“ Wheeling It

P.S> To answer your last question, most RV's do NOT come with surge protection, and I would doubt your Rockwood did.

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #36
Just as confused as you

Our PI-HW30C had an error of E3 - High Voltage Line 1 last summer. We weren't there when it happened but it had the code on the display when we got there after the incident.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #37

What are the main differences, other than price, between the EMS-PT30X and the SSP-30X? And will they both not save your RV from damage?
RickyD929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD929 View Post
What are the main differences, other than price, between the EMS-PT30X and the SSP-30X? And will they both not save your RV from damage?
It's on their website here, which has the comparison of all models and print option:

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #39

I prolly camp less than most, but to me it is mandatory. A good one is expensive.

I see three requirements to add to your camper.
#1 and 2 are equal in my eyes. EMS and TPMS
#3 good tires
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #40

I won't travel without one. Mine have saved me at least 3x including
lightning strikes, miswired power poles, and low voltage. Progressive has
a lifetime warranty and replaced mine when I had a loose plug prong. Cheaper
units don't provide all the protection that Progressive does. Don't listen to people who say they been camping 20 years and never had a problem.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote