RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Yep I understand that. But with all due respect your post indicated the links are for EMS 30A but were for a high grade surge protector. Many people don't understand the difference. And when someone mentioned he can't afford the $400 for the PI EMS, your statement was "They don't cost $400". The PI EMS does, but their enhanced surge guards do not. There is a reason for that.
Last thing I'm going to say here:

RV Power Protection EMS

Go to the link. "Full blown" EMS is $217 for a 30A, $307 for a 50A.

Not 400.

Even the ptx 50a is $323 if you want it all in a portable and no installation work/costs: http://www.bestconverter.com/EMS-PT5...EMS_p_515.html

Still not $400, but getting closer. The 30a is only $233.

I'm out.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #82
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
Last thing I'm going to say here:

RV Power Protection EMS

Go to the link. "Full blown" EMS is 217 for a 30A, 307 for a 50A.

Not 400.

I'm out.

Well since you really don't get the point, be out and have fun. But posting links to surge protectors however enhanced, and then finding a link to a different lower cost model does not make you correct. Making a blanket statement can confuse people into thinking they are getting more than they really are.

The true "full blown" PI EMS 30 and 50 amp models are over $350 and if you figure shipping/tax or other misc $400 is the ballpark.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...9717126&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...ywords=ems+50a

You can always find something on sale, or something almost as good for less.

I'm out

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #83

Protect your investment

Joart protect your investment. Follow the lead of the members. It is the best money you will ever spend.
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #84
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydubya81 View Post
My parents never had one, they've been camping all over the south for forty years and have never had one. I've had three different campers and have been pulling my own camper for 15 years now , and I've never had one nor have I had any problems without it. With that said I don't think anyone could argue that they don't do there job and occasionally save the day. However a ( surge protector), is going to nothing for you with low voltage or high voltage, they only protect you from a power surge. You need some kind of EMS unit to give you total electrical protection . The problem with those , is they're expensive, as expensive as to replace an AC unit or fridge on your camper? No ! However like I previously mentioned, my family has never had a problem without one. I don't think they're really as necessary as people make out . I mean they didn't exist twenty years ago! How did they ever do it?
To sum it up;
Do you Need one, no.
Would it be a good idea? Yes
Have people camped for years without one? Yes
Have there been people hell bent on saying you need this or your camper will go up in flames, YES

Go camping, enjoy yourselves, people have been doing it for years, I still see way more people without one than I do with one.
X 2 Yes I also have been doing the camping for 40 plus years but I finally did buy the ems but on several occasions I never hooked it up. I do and have since day one have a GFCI outlet tester for checking polarity that is plugged in to the wall socket or you can plug in to cg pedestal for checking. Very few times have I've seen issues and if there was is was more of an open ground or open neutral. This is why a lot of Gen give you these reading and the EMS if hooked to it will not allow the to feed power to your camper. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #85

With two AC units and a residential fridge, I'm more worried about undervoltage.

Undervoltage makes electric motors run hotter, work less efficiently, and shortens service life.

I consider the 350 or whatever it was I spent on EMS a one time insurance policy.

And in the case of an AC, the ac is cheap. Paying someone to install it is expensive.

A metrojethro like me replacing one himself would be an even bigger expense, because I'd have to come up with some Rube Goldberg A frame hoist to avoid lugging the unit up and down from the roof. LOL!

So yeah I consider myself getting off cheaper buying the EMS.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #86
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2 Yes I also have been doing the camping for 40 plus years but I finally did buy the ems but on several occasions I never hooked it up. I do and have since day one have a GFCI outlet tester for checking polarity that is plugged in to the wall socket or you can plug in to cg pedestal for checking. Very few times have I've seen issues and if there was is was more of an open ground or open neutral. This is why a lot of Gen give you these reading and the EMS if hooked to it will not allow the to feed power to your camper. Later RJD
Generators are not like home or cg pedestals which have neutral bound to ground. Most gennys have open neutral. You can make a gn plug to use in the genny 120v outlet which will let the EMS work correctly. Search electric for gn plug or ground to neutral. Simple to make for $3-4.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #87

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Is it needed? Short answer is no, but either is insurance, but you better have deep pockets.

PI 50amp hard wired for us.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #88

I have a whole house surge protector on my home. I would think at a minimum you would want this for your trailer regardless of type.

I have a PI EMS for the trailer. I consider it insurance from voltage drops and spikes. It has not had to kick in and I am glad for that. I also do not camp on busy holidays.

I have and plug in version and have never locked my ems up. I did consider it but I felt that the need was not really there. I have not had an issue but again it is insurance that I did not want to buy...i am usually around my camper and should someone steal it I do have insurance to recover it...unlike a fried electronic component. If the a.c. turns off them someone grabbed it and I go outside (assuming I was not already out there). Mine is an older unit that needs to stand upright to be water resistant. Most times I hang it under the slide out of site so I have little concern. Funny because the hasp was only $40 but so was the extension I put it under the side with...best of luck. Enjoy your camper!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #89

After getting extremely lucky from a very close lightening strike 3 days ago, I took the advice of most of the member's, and just ordered an EMS-PT30X. I got lucky by only having to replace the main electrical outlet in the kitchen. It kicked the reset button out and would not reset. Lost all the outlets in the kitchen and bedroom. Could have been a helluva lot worse. Hopefully I'll never need this EMS, for anything other than an insurance policy.
RickyD929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #90
194'er

Quote:
Just for accuracy here..Ummm, nope. Those are surge protectors, NOT the EMS. Here's from Amazon and the CW site itself for the PT-30C ems and (new, less expensive) PT-30X

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...v_style_name=0

EMS-PT30X 30 Amp EMS with Surge Protection - Progressive EMS-PT30X - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Totally agree, you are not going to find a full blown EMS unit for 187 dollars, a surge protector maybe, not a real EMS unit

I also would like to know what the comment about it being cheaper to manufacture an electrical motor in the past, is based on

Also this is an A frame forum, I don't know of any Aframe that has two AC's or a slide out with a couch sitting in it, the electrical needs are very different

I can't speak for others , by the only insurance I need is the insurance on the camper itself, coolcat blows, hundred dollar deductible, and she's back to normal

Look around campgrounds, there's certainly more people without one than with, and anybody plugging there camper into a post that looks like the one in the pic above, probably deserves what's coming
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #91
King of the Road

Quote:
Generators are not like home or cg pedestals which have neutral bound to ground. Most gennys have open neutral. You can make a gn plug to use in the genny 120v outlet which will let the EMS work correctly. Search electric for gn plug or ground to neutral. Simple to make for $3-4.
Just thought I'd post of pic of the one I made. Plugged into one of the 120v outlets on my Champion generator it makes the EMS believe you are hooked to house or pedestal (that have the ground-neutral bond as required by code)

3 prog plug from Lowe's, small piece of copper wire connecting ground to neutral. When I connect to genny with my PI PT-30C EMS, I plug this into the 120v outlet first so the EMS will let the power through to the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170602_133837_HDR.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	144410   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170602_132833.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	144411  

Old 07-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #92
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydubya81 View Post
Totally agree, you are not going to find a full blown EMS unit for 187 dollars, a surge protector maybe, not a real EMS unit

I also would like to know what the comment about it being cheaper to manufacture an electrical motor in the past, is based on

Also this is an A frame forum, I don't know of any Aframe that has two AC's or a slide out with a couch sitting in it, the electrical needs are very different

I can't speak for others , by the only insurance I need is the insurance on the camper itself, coolcat blows, hundred dollar deductible, and she's back to normal

Look around campgrounds, there's certainly more people without one than with, and anybody plugging there camper into a post that looks like the one in the pic above, probably deserves what's coming
Did you follow the link to the BestConverter.com website? The $187 unit is a true EMS, just without the remote display.

However, I completely agree with you that the electrical appliances and components in an A Frame are quite different than a TT or 5er. I didn't know any different when we had our Coleman popup but I wouldn't have bothered with the expense of an EMS for it. Once we had our hybrid Roo and now our TT, its definitely worth the expense.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #93
194'er

I did follow the link, and yes I did see the one for 187 dollars, without the 18 dollar shipping, I was referring to the portable one that is on the same site for 235 plus the same in shipping brings her up to around 250. Which is 150 above my deductible
I to would consider one if I had a big fiver or other fancy rig, but on an A frame ? No thanks
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Attachment 144276

Best of both worlds.

50A ems and Hughes autoformer.
White display is incoming shore power voltage. Ems displays power after autoformer.
I'm a believer in both the autoformer and EMS but I don't understand in your picture if you have 124V coming in why your autoformer would go into boost. Does yours always boost no matter what the the in current is? Just curious.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
JoArt, I'm in the same boat as you. I know buying one of these expensive gizmos is not a bad idea and another layer of protection, but are they really as necessary as folks who have them say they are?

We have travelled all over the states and stayed in lots of RV parks for 30+ years and never had an electrical problem.

So do your homework and weigh the pros and cons of investing in one.

I think I'll take another couple of years to think about it

My guess is, at a minimum you have experienced low voltage conditions (quite common) but didn't know it.

If you haven't fried anything, keep on trucking.

With three air conditioners and other important electronics, I don't want to take a chance.

I never had one in my popup and never had a problem...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #96

the hughes contains a transformer plus a surge protector in there lies the difference! total protection.
cowbisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbisket View Post
the hughes contains a transformer plus a surge protector in there lies the difference! total protection.

I have an Autoformer, so I'm not knocking it... but it isn't total protection.

It doesn't "protect" you from anything except surges. That is why we use it in conjunction with a PI EMS.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
I'm a believer in both the autoformer and EMS but I don't understand in your picture if you have 124V coming in why your autoformer would go into boost. Does yours always boost no matter what the the in current is? Just curious.

It’s not “ boosting” yet.. just a small bump.

It will go into full “ boost” when voltage gets too low.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I have an Autoformer, so I'm not knocking it... but it isn't total protection.

It doesn't "protect" you from anything except surges. That is why we use it in conjunction with a PI EMS.

Correct. Seeing as I already had the ems, I went with the non surge autoformer.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Correct. Seeing as I already had the ems, I went with the non surge autoformer.

Gotcha!

That is what I do. I thought you just had the Autoformer.