RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #1

T12BH furnace issue

I live in Colorado and have two small children that need the furnace to keep warm. I purchased the camper back in March and have really enjoyed it. One problem I have encountered is with the furnace.

On cold colorado nights the furnace will do a great job of heating the area under the dinette/bed conversion. It seems to me that the placement of the furnace is a bit of a design flaw, since the heat doesnt circulate well around the camper. Has anyone tried to rig an auxiliary fan to help blow out the heat? Anone else have any ideas?

Also, my furnace hasn't been very reliable. Sometimes it will just turn off and not get to temp. The only way it will tuen back on is if I cycle it to off. I think it might be happening when bedding gets to close to the furnace, but I am nit sure. My dealer has replaced the thermostat that hasn't really fixed the problem. Is anyone else having this problem?

I hope everyone isngetting out and enjoying the summer!!!
bouldercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #2

Can the fan on the cool cat be set to on (instead of auto) to help circ the air? I know that means the drone of the fan all night but would seem to be better than unreliability of the heater.

This only of course works if you have shore power.

Without shore power I would suggest a 12v fan under the dinette area and adding a 12v receptacle in that same area.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #3

I would love to be able to hook the fan up to the furnace so the auxiliary fan would turn on when the furnace turns on. I rarely camp with shore power.
bouldercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

I would say there is a way, but will likely require slicing into the blower power supply inside the heater. (there goes warranty).

You would also want to make sure you aren't overloading the wiring inside the heater.

Safest alternative would be wiring something In With the thermostat and maybe using a relay and separate power tap to power the fan.

I would say all in all a pretty complicated solution that would be above my skill set.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote