Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 11:50 PM   #1

T21TBHW Front Storage Bin Dimensions

Hello,

Newbie here! I'm Tom and just recently placed an order for a 2022 twin bed a frame. Been looking for about 3 years now and finally pulled the trigger! Backorders are plenty, so unfortunately I probably won't see it till March or April next year.

In the mean time, I'm wanting to make plans for improvements/additions when I finally get it!

I'm looking at making a slide out kitchen for the unit, utilizing the space where the slide out bin is. I'd like to know if anyone has the dimensions of the storage bin itself, and possibly the opening. Length/width/height.

Also, if anyone has already attempted this or if I've overlooked a build thread somewhere, please point me in the right direction!

Seems like a great forum and I look forward to being a part of the forest river A frame family!
Tgiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:49 PM   #2

Bump!

Just looking for measurements of the front slide out bin on twin bed or equivalent flagstaff AFrame.

Thanks!!

Tom
Old 09-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

It's not as simple as you think. The slide-in tray is molded from thick plastic, and is trapezoidal in shape, wider at the top than at the bottom.

At the top, the opening between the horizontal strengthening plates is 10" back to front. And the width of the sliding tray (side to side) is a few inches less than the 84" width of the camper. But the tray top is divided into 5 or 6 sections by plastic plate sections that extend all the way back to front. These top plastic plates are essential to helping the tray hold its shape.

The outside dimension is 12.5" at the top, and 10" at the bottom (inside guide rail notch). The bottom section is notched to slide on the guide rails. The result is that you cram in more stuff, but are limited by the top opening dimensions.

I had difficulty with my tray sliding from the get go. Took the tray out, realigned the front wall to the tray area - it was rubbing. Removed track and lubricated with silicone spray. Now tray slides smoothly but there is momentum when tray is loaded.

Final factor to consider: the whole front compartment is limited to 150lbs for both upper and tray area, primarily to keep tongue weight on the A-frames (all models) within reason. It's very easy to surpass 600lb tongue weight on the A213 (T21TBHW) loading up the tray and front trunk - I bought a Sherline scale to measure my tongue weight. I do have 2 GC-2 batteries on the tongue that make things worse than many - not willing to spend $1-2K for LiFePo to reduce tongue weight by 60 lbs yet. Only the 2 rear compartments offer any stowage behind the axle. Full water also helps a little, as the tank is just behind the axle - but takes almost 200# from your cargo capacity. With attention to loading, I get tongue weight to near 500lbs.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Kia Carnival minivan with E2 600/6000 WDH
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:13 PM   #4

Thanks Fred for the post! Great info! I'll keep all those things in mind! Looking at keeping material weight down as much as possible. The dimensions help out for sure! Gives me something to go on while looking and planning.

All the best, and thanks again for your input!
Old 09-06-2021, 10:06 PM   #5

The compartment door opening is 15" wide and 14.5" high. Those are the clear dimensions of the opening, and keep in mind the door has rounded corners. The bin itself is 12.5" tall. I am attaching a photo to show what the previous poster was talking about the intricate shape of the bin. We just picked ours up and playing with it in the driveway for a few more days, so I have ready access if there is any other info you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	262365  
Old 09-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #6

Here is a picture of the bin pulled part of the way out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1639.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	262384  
Old 09-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #7

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the dimensions and the picture!

Actually, if you're willing and don't mind, I believe there is a bin/storage on the rear of the trailer as well. Do you mind doing the same? Dimensions and a quick pic? If not, no worries. Just realized that might be a good alternative if the opening is larger.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #8

Oh nice! You must have posted that 2nd pic while I was replying! Is that the same bin in the front, just on the other side of the unit? Or is there another bin in the rear?
Old 09-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #9

Yes the 2nd pic from prior post is the front bin pulled out and from the left side.

There are two storage spaces in the rear. Those just have a flat floor. The right side is the larger and mainly for holding the king insert when not in use. It is pretty much the whole space under the right side twin bed. The door clear opening is 20.5W x 13H and interior measures 15H x 27D x 58L. We also keep the griddle in there because its the only door big enough to accommodate the plastic tote we picked up to hold all of the griddle stuff. You can also access this space from inside either through a smallish door at floor level or from the top by lifting up the twin bed (which is how you stow the king bed insert).

On the left rear corner there is another storage space, but that one is much smaller because the air conditioning unit takes up much of the space under the left side twin bed. The door is 15.5W x 10.5H and the inside measures 15H x 29D x 20W. This space is only accessible from the outside door.

Pictures attached. 1640 is right rear. 1641 is left rear. Good luck with your projects!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	262386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	262387  
Old 09-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #10

Interestingly I have a storage bin slid out on the rear left half side next to the AC unit.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
Interestingly I have a storage bin slid out on the rear left half side next to the AC unit.
Mine came with that as well. I removed it to increase storage space.
PapaGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage