Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Texas Raptor Run

I hope to not bore you too much, but wanted to share a little bit of our latest adventure with Carl (our camper). We traveled to a ranch in Blackwell, Texas from central Florida for a weekend of off-roading on a baja-type 43-mile course. We were one of 115 Ford Raptors and it was awesome! Carl followed the truck fantastically! No problems whatsoever - even over the crappy roads in Mississippi and Louisiana. (I know these roads do not compare any to the Dempster that thehamguy experienced last year!)

We planned for a cold frig, but it wasn't to be this time. No worries, we used ice and coolers to keep the perishables cold. The weather ended up being colder than expected so the ice didn't melt and we only replenished the ice once. But, with the colder weather we needed heat and the furnace stopped working. Bummer! Backup plan - heat pump!! I'm just glad we had a hard sided camper!! Many other folks were in tents. I'm sure they were prepared, or at least hope they were prepared!!

Once we got set up - which I've now personally experienced is a spectator sport - we had visitors wanting to check out the interior. As most folks on this forum have indicated - everyone who visited was impressed with how much space these A-frames really have! One person even said "it's like a cathedral ceiling".

We set up the outdoor shower canopy, and were thrilled we brought it! The camp area had one shower for women and one for men. Too many people standing in line since each was also in the same room as the toilet. We didn't experience any issues with the canopy, which is surprising given that we had 30 mph sustained winds all day on Saturday. I was afraid it was going to blow away with me inside!! Quickest shower I've ever taken and then scooted back to safety inside the camper - which also held up well in the winds. I am very impressed with our A-frame!!!!

I've posted some pics in my album, but here are a few of our setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1536367051.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	28584   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2400615733.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	28585   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1290552178.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	28586  
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

Always nice to hear about someones camping trip and to see nice pics.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Flagstaff 22FBS

You're not boring us with your post about your off-roading camp out, thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like, over all, you had a fun time and that is what it's all about.

Nice to hear you kept a positive attitude and over came a couple of obstacles. Opposed to a tent, your cozy Aframe probably felt like you were staying in the Ritz even with the problems!

Watching your "fridge on the fritz" thread to see what comes of your visit to the dealer. Let us know what's going on with the furnace issue too, please.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

Debbie, sounds like a great time! Carl looks good behind your truck! Great to hear you love the new shower room! The convience had to be a relief and well spent addition to your comfort needs! Looking forward to more photos!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #5

Hi.
Been wanting to buy a shower tent for my a frame. What is the brand you have and how do you like it? Thanks Jeff
JEFF ROCKWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFromStock View Post
I hope to not bore you too much, but wanted to share a little bit of our latest adventure with Carl (our camper). We traveled to a ranch in Blackwell, Texas from central Florida for a weekend of off-roading on a baja-type 43-mile course. We were one of 115 Ford Raptors and it was awesome! Carl followed the truck fantastically! No problems whatsoever - even over the crappy roads in Mississippi and Louisiana. (I know these roads do not compare any to the Dempster that thehamguy experienced last year!)

We planned for a cold frig, but it wasn't to be this time. No worries, we used ice and coolers to keep the perishables cold. The weather ended up being colder than expected so the ice didn't melt and we only replenished the ice once. But, with the colder weather we needed heat and the furnace stopped working. Bummer! Backup plan - heat pump!! I'm just glad we had a hard sided camper!! Many other folks were in tents. I'm sure they were prepared, or at least hope they were prepared!!

Once we got set up - which I've now personally experienced is a spectator sport - we had visitors wanting to check out the interior. As most folks on this forum have indicated - everyone who visited was impressed with how much space these A-frames really have! One person even said "it's like a cathedral ceiling".

We set up the outdoor shower canopy, and were thrilled we brought it! The camp area had one shower for women and one for men. Too many people standing in line since each was also in the same room as the toilet. We didn't experience any issues with the canopy, which is surprising given that we had 30 mph sustained winds all day on Saturday. I was afraid it was going to blow away with me inside!! Quickest shower I've ever taken and then scooted back to safety inside the camper - which also held up well in the winds. I am very impressed with our A-frame!!!!

I've posted some pics in my album, but here are a few of our setup.
One of the guys that I work with up here in Michigan was there, he organized the Snowball run up here, and another one coming later this summer.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #7

Jeff - It is PahaQue Tepee tent. Got it from amazon.com. LOVE IT!!!!

syencer - Is your coworker's name Jason by any chance? I heard great things about the Snoball Run! Being from Florida, I'm not sure I'd handle showering in the snow very well!!! But, if hubby wants to hit it next year, we may just do it!

I heard there is something in the works for a fall event in Pennsylvania too. Yay!! I'd like to do that!
2012 Ford Raptor
Old 04-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #8

Loved hearing about your adventure. I had to chuckle when I read that your camper's name is Carl. I thought maybe I was the only crazy one who was naming my truck and camper! (Sapphire the truck and Sopie the camper) Now I don't feel so alone! I also appreciated hearing that your shower tent came in handy. I have one but haven't been able to see how it works yet. I do know that it took HOURS to figure out how to flatten it and put it back in its little round carrying case!!! I found directions online and printed out the pictures in sequential order to keep in my camper just in case I forget how to get it back down again! It's pretty tricky!
Cyndilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #9

I have a question on the shower tent...how tough are the restrictions on these types of set ups at campgrounds? Don't they frown on the "grey" water from the shower, or do most places kind of ignore it? Also...I was thinking that if I did one of those set ups, do you use some kind of a rubber or plastic raised mat or something so that you don't end up standing in a mud puddle? I'm a newbie to the outdoor shower idea...makes sense to me...but are you able to use them in most campgrounds?
ALSO related to campground regulations...I am noticing as I am surfing around looking for campgrounds...that many will not allow gennys...is this also typical. Are you pretty much limited to the rustic campgrounds for generator use and outdoor showers (BLM or remote state parks, etc)?
gdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFromStock View Post
Jeff - It is PahaQue Tepee tent. Got it from amazon.com. LOVE IT!!!!

syencer - Is your coworker's name Jason by any chance? I heard great things about the Snoball Run! Being from Florida, I'm not sure I'd handle showering in the snow very well!!! But, if hubby wants to hit it next year, we may just do it!

I heard there is something in the works for a fall event in Pennsylvania too. Yay!! I'd like to do that!
Yes it is Jason!!!
2021 4 reserved
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Professional Texan

There is nothing more "Off Road" than Blackwell, Texas.

...and I like it and all of Texas.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I told Jason about what you said and he just laughed.
2021 4 reserved
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #13

Cyndilee - Carl the Camper and Carlette the Shower canopy! I know, I'm weird. But, hey, at least I make life interesting!!

gdenn - restrictions depend on the campground. The place we just recently visited allows grey water to be drained directly onto the ground; however that is not the case in MANY instances. It's best you check with each campground you are traveling for their rules/regulations.

As for the ground covering - our shower canopy came with a nylon floor piece. We created a small valley with our feet for the water to flow away from the center of the shower floor. We are looking at getting a catch-basin for times when we are not allowed to drain grey water onto the ground. Then we'll use the catch-basin and dump it when we dump everything else.

The use of gennys also depends on the campground. Follow their rules for quiet hours (usually 10pm-8am). It would be sad for campers to get out into the quiet and have to listen to a genny all night (not everyone has a quiet genny). Basically, if you're not in your camper/campsite, don't run the genny. (just my modus operandi)

TexasBob - LOVED the Texana Ranch in Blackwell. It was awesome! I can't wait to go back next year!

syencer - not sure Jason remembers meeting me and my husband, there were quite a few folks there. Nicole (RaptorWifey) introduced me to him.

Here's one of the buffalo from the Exotic Animal tour:
2012 Ford Raptor
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Professional Texan

I learned to ski at Oak Creek Lake when I was 8 years old. I'm sure the lake was very low when you were there.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndilee View Post
Loved hearing about your adventure. I had to chuckle when I read that your camper's name is Carl. I thought maybe I was the only crazy one who was naming my truck and camper! (Sapphire the truck and Sopie the camper) Now I don't feel so alone! I also appreciated hearing that your shower tent came in handy. I have one but haven't been able to see how it works yet. I do know that it took HOURS to figure out how to flatten it and put it back in its little round carrying case!!! I found directions online and printed out the pictures in sequential order to keep in my camper just in case I forget how to get it back down again! It's pretty tricky!
Use of water is a very grey area at campgrounds. I have been know to hook a hose up to the campground water to hose down and soap up. I have also brushed my teeth and shaved in my site, disposing of the water by dispersing it at the camp site, just like I do with dish water. The parks don't seem to care.

I have also done the same thing with hot water at the outside shower.

It is little different to use the tent to shower than it is to use a hose. But at some point the water stops being run off and becomes grey water, and the ranger will visit you to say "no."

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote