Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The GVWR of the camper, axle rating, and tire size/load range selection are determined by the manufacturer of the camper. Changing the tire size can have unintended consequences and is not recommended. The camper manufacturer usually recommends running your camper tires at maximum sidewall pressure for optimal handling at maximum rated weight.

Herk
The reason many RV's run max pressure as marked on sidewall is because the RV manufacture puts the bare minimum tire on that will meet the load requirements.

but not all:

I had a 2011 Open range (back when Open Range was a small new startup company). This RV came with load range E tires. (load range E tires can lower the amount of movement in an RV while sitting because of stiffer sidewalls). These tires were rated for 3200 lbs each, x 4 = 12,800 lbs, but the GVWR of the RV was 10,500 lbs.

also its safe to change RV tires to ones that have a higher load range capacity (as long as you don't exceed the rim capacity)
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
The reason many RV's run max pressure as marked on sidewall is because the RV manufacture puts the bare minimum tire on that will meet the load requirements.

but not all:

I had a 2011 Open range (back when Open Range was a small new startup company). This RV came with load range E tires. (load range E tires can lower the amount of movement in an RV while sitting because of stiffer sidewalls). These tires were rated for 3200 lbs each, x 4 = 12,800 lbs, but the GVWR of the RV was 10,500 lbs.

also its safe to change RV tires to ones that have a higher load range capacity (as long as you don't exceed the rim capacity)

X2
Old 07-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post

but not all:

While true, I believe that even if you voluntarily go up a load range (which I did on my previous camper), you should still run AT LEAST the max sidewall pressure on the original tires unless you feel adding 10 PSI to that number to the higher load range is a safer option for you.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
Here's a link to Goodyear's RV tire page: https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx

On the lower right you will see a link to the Inflation Table (PDF). The Endurance tires are the 1st ones listed.

I went with 50 lbs for our A213HW with ST205/75R14s based on 3370 GVWR (1685 lbs per tire).

Here's a link I found helpful in understanding this: https://www.etrailer.com/question-362571.html

Thanks OYO. Exactly what I needed. 50 psi it is.
mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
While true, I believe that even if you voluntarily go up a load range (which I did on my previous camper), you should still run AT LEAST the max sidewall pressure on the original tires unless you feel adding 10 PSI to that number to the higher load range is a safer option for you.
Or, do as Tireman9 suggests. Measure your loadedweight per tire, add 10%, look up the inflation table and use that value as long as it is at least the PSI on the yellow sticker.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:41 PM   #26

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campkasten View Post
We have 14-inch tires on our MicroLite and just last year replaced the factory tires with Goodyear Endurance tires.

Our tire size is ST205/75-R14. Factory used Load Range C tires. We stayed with that size but went with the Load Range D tires which are rated for heavier loads and higher air pressures. I like to have a bit more tire than I need for safety.

After ensuring the rims on the camper would handle the increased tire pressure (yes rims or wheels have max pressure ratings like tires do), we inflated the tires to 65 PSI.

Good plan. Since it is the air pressure that supports the load not the tire construction the 65 psi will give you more reasonable load margin and should reduce the Interply Shear.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #28

Just had a set of GY Endurance 205 75r14 Load rated D tires, including the spare, installed on our 2019 Micro-lite 21FBRS. We had put about 6,000 miles on the Castle Rocks. These tires were about 3 years old. The last couple of trips I had noticed that one of the tires just didn’t look right, so I ordered the Goodyear’s. This morning the Discount Tire tech, said that the tire I was concerned-with, had split, separated underneath the tread. Talk about being lucky. Anyway I had the inflated pressure on the GY filled to 55psi. Even though the GY load inflation chart showed 45lb psi would be more than adequate for the amount of load on each axle.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #29

I got the endurance tires too last week, its stamped all over in large letter and numbers 80lbs
I have 235 80 16.

leaving for a trip tomorrow and will see how they perform. Also got Nitto Grappler tires for the truck.
Juniorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #30

That is max PSI in order for the tire to carry it's max rated load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorz View Post
I got the endurance tires too last week, its stamped all over in large letter and numbers 80lbs
I have 235 80 16.

leaving for a trip tomorrow and will see how they perform. Also got Nitto Grappler tires for the truck.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #31

I run max pressure indicated on the tires on my camper.......the china bombs it came with that were 2 years old when purchased the unit new and ran them until last spring.
Replaced them with Good Years Endurance .. run at max pressure on the tires.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #32

look

whatever it says on the side of the tire..period!!
Old 07-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That is max PSI in order for the tire to carry it's max rated load.

Correct. You can also lower the interply shear by running inflation higher than the minimum needed to support the load.

Running the pressure on the sidewall for trailer application is supported by Goodyear.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Correct. You can also lower the interply shear by running inflation higher than the minimum needed to support the load.

Running the pressure on the sidewall for trailer application is supported by Goodyear.
Of course you also recommend using inflation tables when increasing size or ply rating.

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Inflation

Also here in post 100
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-198414-4.html
Old 07-13-2020, 09:03 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Establishing inflation is not "one size fits all".

People want a simple answer so I say to inflate to the pressure on the certification label. Then those in motorhomes complain about stiff ride.
Trailers suffer from some special tire structural forces that are unique to trailers that have their tires dragged around turns and corners. This stress is "Interply Shear" and is not in the sidewalls but is between the steel belts and can result in increased potential for belt separation.
Increasing the inflation will lower the Interply Shear. or you can significantly reduce the load. Most folks do not want to unpack some of the "stuff" they carry so increasing inflation is easiest.
Motorhomes do not suffer from the high Interply Shear seen on trailers so their inflation can be set based primarily on the actual load with a +10% on the inflation for extra cushion.
I have covered Interply Shear in more depth in a series of posts on my blog
Old 07-13-2020, 10:16 PM   #36

I towed my 2021 Vibe home (45 miles) and two weeks later replaced the Castle Rock tires with Goodyear Endurance ST215/75R14's (original tires were 205/75R14)

The campers tire pressure sticker calls for 65 PSI. CAT Scale showed Vibe axle weight of 5540 lbs loaded to travel. If I look at the Goodyear inflation chart I could run 35-40 psi, but I can't assume all 4 tires are carrying the same load (1385 lbs per tire). So I go by the Forest River Tire sticker and run the Goodyears at 65 PSI.

At 65 psi in Camper tires and I run 80 psi (rear) and 70 psi (front) in my F150, my setup really handles great, virtually no sway. I assume the handling is helped by max pressures that stiffen up the side walls (truck and camper) and a 13-14% tongue weight.

I will keep my eye on tire wear for signs of over inflation as I tow more.
-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:42 PM   #37

Since I needed some new tires for 2 other trailers I have, I removed the TowMax china bomb tires from the camper, and put them on the two other trailers. They will be just fine for those applications, actually overkill.

I replaced the 4 tires on the camper with GY Endurance, 225/75R15 which is a Load Range E tire. They are inflated to 70psi, 5psi over the D rated BlowMax tires. If I get to tow the camper enough to wear out the tread from "overinflation", that will be a good thing.

The difference in weight and sidewall thickness/stiffness between the D rated BlowMax tires and the E rated Endurance tires is night and day. The BlowMax tires are built more like an inner tube with tread than a real tire.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Increasing the inflation will lower the Interply Shear.
Do you have links to scientific studies that discuss interply shear that are NOT links to your website? Interested in finding what a company like Goodyear says about them.

So what's the point of having an inflation chart if you just recommend max PSI?

BTW, I contacted Goodyear and they recommend inflating to the inflation chart plus a safety margin if I want.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I replaced the 4 tires on the camper with GY Endurance, 225/75R15 which is a Load Range E tire. They are inflated to 70psi, 5psi over the D rated BlowMax tires. If I get to tow the camper enough to wear out the tread from "overinflation", that will be a good thing.
That seems a lot better than airing them up to 80PSI!
Old 07-14-2020, 04:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Establishing inflation is not "one size fits all".

People want a simple answer so I say to inflate to the pressure on the certification label. Then those in motorhomes complain about stiff ride.
Trailers suffer from some special tire structural forces that are unique to trailers that have their tires dragged around turns and corners. This stress is "Interply Shear" and is not in the sidewalls but is between the steel belts and can result in increased potential for belt separation.
Increasing the inflation will lower the Interply Shear. or you can significantly reduce the load. Most folks do not want to unpack some of the "stuff" they carry so increasing inflation is easiest.
Motorhomes do not suffer from the high Interply Shear seen on trailers so their inflation can be set based primarily on the actual load with a +10% on the inflation for extra cushion.
I have covered Interply Shear in more depth in a series of posts on my blog
And what about tandem-axle Motorhomes, or those with a Tag-axle? They experiënce yust as much forces when cornering, that gives interply-shear. Do they , yust as much as TT's have tire-failure by treath-seperation?

I dont think so , because maxload of MH tires are calculated for higher speed, so lesser deflection, so smaller forces when cornering.

And my conclusion in time is ( for what it is worth of an amateur) that not the forces when cornering do the damage, but overheating of tires by to high speed or overloading .

Also single axle TT's have a high failure rate, also by treath-seperation, and those experiënce yust as much forces when cornering as motorhomes

But correct me if I see it wrong
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire