Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Toilet Options for A Frames

these pictures are great... Makes me really want one of these A-FRAMES.. I had a small Jayco travel trailer.. sold it last year (not sure why). Its usually just me and a dog camping. You guys who have moved to an A-frame froma TT.. do you miss the shower and toilet?

visit me sometime: www.volunteercampers.com
my camping adventures: eat, sleep, camp
chuck9997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #2

The Porta Poddy that comes with the unit works just fine with me and when I need a shower, I will use one at the campground or if not available, I have a portable shower tent I set up next to the camper and use the outside shower set up. The thrid option is the old sponge bath method from a tub of water.Where there's a will, there is a way. And of course, if available, go for a swim in the lake.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Flagstaff 22FBS

We use the cassette toilet primarily after we've showered at the campground shower house and are inside relaxing for the evening. If your of a certain age, like us, it's also oh so handy during the middle of the night. The rest of the time (and also let's face it, for "number2") we use the campground facilities.

I've washed my hair with the exterior shower of our A frame and it works quite well. If you are really in a pinch, I guess you could take a "shower" in your swim suit, using the exterior shower.

The new Rockwood A124 has a build in shower/cassette toilet unit that looks interesting. However, I would worry about getting the shower and shower curtain dried well enough before breaking camp and folding down the A frame. But, eh, that's just me, I worry about stuff like that...

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #4

Deb and any others,

My wife and I will be purchasing an A122 in the spring. We are tent campers. Deb's post above got us thinking about the cassette toilet. When the women use it, do you keep it on the floor of the camper? Or do you place it on a pad or something to lift it up? We never thought about this until we read Deb's post above. Thanks.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Flagstaff 22FBS

You are talking about two different animals...
A cassette toilet is built in and stationary. Depending on the use, we dump ours every two to three days. It has a "holding tank" that slides sideways out of the compartment under the built in seat part. The unit looks like this:
C402C Cassette

A porta pottie is, well, portable. You may need better imput from someone who actually owns one. We still have a porta pottie stored away from our tenting days. It does "sit" a little low, assuming it is a model similar to this:
Thetford 25100 Porta Potti 135 Trailer Camper RV Portable Toilet

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Flagstaff 22FBS

PS, my apologies to the OP for straying away from the original theme of the post's string.

It seems we are hungry to talk about, and see info on, the A frames.

Deb

Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Mostly Harmless

The Porta Pottie will fit in the storage area under the entry-side dinette seat, on ours it slides in and out through the door in the base of the seat--the fit is perfect so we assume the door was sized for that purpose. As far as elevating the P-a-P for use, we've not found it necessary.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
The Porta Pottie will fit in the storage area under the entry-side dinette seat, on ours it slides in and out through the door in the base of the seat--the fit is perfect so we assume the door was sized for that purpose. As far as elevating the P-a-P for use, we've not found it necessary.
which porta-potti comes with the ROCKWOOD/FOREST RIVER A-frames? what brand.. model number?
chuck9997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

My camper is in storage until spring so I can't check on the Porta Potti model. I think it has about a two gallon holding tank. I think the units with the cassette toilets have larger holding tanks. Maybe you could search on the Thetford website to see which models have what size tanks?

Later edit: Looking on Thetford's site myself, the one we have may be the 135. Hope this helps.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #10

My factory one was a TraveLoo 2.5. It is not as tall or as well made as the Thetford. I like the Thetford model because it has a bigger capacity tank, it is taller, and it is easy to empty.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #11

the one that came with my A122 is a thetford. i don't know the model number, but its a manual pump, not an electric model.
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame