Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #1

Towing Vehicle

Anyone tow their A-frame low or high wall with a Honda Odyssey? If so, any issues, concerns, etc?

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

I don't know if I would tow a high or low A-frame style trailer with an Odyssey.

I pulled a Rockwood A122S with my 2013 Hyundai SantaFE Sport 2.0T (3500lbs towing and 350lbs tongue weight). It had tons of power to pull it, but the tongue weight on the A-Frames is so heavy, that by the time you pack it, it was really tough on the rear end.

I weighed it with everything in it and the tongue was like 325lbs. Most vans, mid size SUVs etc will support 350lbs but it will be pretty much on the bump stops. I ended up putting ride rite airbags with a compressor in and that helped a ton but I was always nervous about it.
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

Towing vehicle

Rkuffler, thanks for the quick response!

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply earlier.

We tow our 2014 A122 A-frame with our 2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan. This includes 11,000ft passes in the Colorado Rockies. It has enough power for the Colorado Rockies - 3.5L 250 HP, 5 speed xmsn.

There is precious little info on towing with the Hyundai/Kia minivans. I could not find a tongue weight limit, only the overall 3,500 lb limit. The A122 has a max gross of 3,100 lbs, so I felt we were within reasonable limits.

When we went to the dealer to pick up the camper, we had planned on installing a transmission cooler. However, the minivan already had a separate xmsn cooler (stock) that was twice as big as what we had planned to install (I had read this may be the case on the Internet).

After the hitch and wiring had been installed, we took the rig for a test drive in the dealer's lot. Both camper and van porpoised (bobbing up and down), and I was unhappy. Dealer suggested Equalizer 600/6000 combined WDH and anti-sway, which he sold and installed for $310. With the Equalizer, the A122 tows like a dream behind the minivan. Ride is so close to stock while towing that wife feels comfortable towing camper on the interstates in the 35MPH cross-winds we often see. We usually limit speed to 68MPH because of the stock ST tires on the camper, but have had it up to 75MPH as a test.

I cannot recommend the Equalizer WDH/anti-sway enough for a soft suspension vehicle like a minivan.

Further point, we camp minimally. The A-frame (we have smallest model to fit in the garage easily) is really a deluxe (and very comfortable) sleeping quarters and place out of the rain/snow. We lounge, cook, clean outside. We use campground toilets and showers, although often won't use showers on a weekend trip. Point is our actual tow weight is generally 2,750 lbs to 2,850 lbs, depending on whether we have to take the water tank full.

For our loads, our trips, and our camping style, the minivan is a GREAT tow vehicle.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan with Equalizer 600/6000
camping Colorado and adjacent states one long weekend at a time
Plan to camp Rocky Mountain National Park this summer for a week - turn 62 in April for the cheap pass.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing