Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Trailer Dolly to move an a-frame?

Hello friends. Curious if any of you a-framers have used a trailer dolly to move your camper around in the yard or such. We keep ours under a carport so we cannot open it up without bringing it out. Just wondered if anybody has experience using the dollies. Saw that Harbor Freight has a 600 lb rated one for about $60. Thought it would be worth it if it serves our purpose. Mainly wanted it to just move the camper about 10 feet on fairly level ground. Any thought?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

I purchased this dolly a month or so ago, using a 20% off coupon and it really makes moving the trailer around a lot easier for me. My driveway has some cracked areas and the single wheel on the tongue jack is difficult to control over those areas. I also had trouble getting the trailer precisely where I wanted it, between the house and a fence, without hitting the fence and busting the left rear side marker. With the dolly, I'm able to move the trailer, by myself, very precisely. I don't know how it would perform on a soft surface, but my hunch is that it would work better than using just the tongue jack. Never go into Harbor Freight without a coupon since they honor them on everything, including items on sale.
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #3

I also keep my A128S under our carport and move it out when I put it up. I've had this dolly from Harbor Freight for about 7 years now, used on my last P/U and it has worked just great, worth every penny. I think I paid $29.99 back then.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

After re-reading your initial post, you probably wouldn't need a dolly to move the trailer only 10 feet on level concrete if the concrete is in good condition. The tongue wheel, in this situation, would suffice.
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #5

Unfortunately, our carport is freestanding and does not have concrete. I can't even think about moving the camper with the trailer wheel. To me, that trailer wheel does not seem sturdy at all. We are even thinking about replacing it with a foot. Do any of you move your camper on the trailer jack wheel? I have had several campers over the years and this is the first one with the wheel versus a foot. To us, it just looks weak?
As to the trailer dolly, went to HF to buy it last night. Even though the computer showed they had 3, they could not find one! Came home and ordered it off the website. Should be here in a couple weeks. Will see if it works for us.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsocamper
Unfortunately, our carport is freestanding and does not have concrete. I can't even think about moving the camper with the trailer wheel. To me, that trailer wheel does not seem sturdy at all. We are even thinking about replacing it with a foot. Do any of you move your camper on the trailer jack wheel? I have had several campers over the years and this is the first one with the wheel versus a foot. To us, it just looks weak?
As to the trailer dolly, went to HF to buy it last night. Even though the computer showed they had 3, they could not find one! Came home and ordered it off the website. Should be here in a couple weeks. Will see if it works for us.
On a smooth concrete driveway the wheel works great. If I didn't have a good driveway I'd invest in a dolly.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

ok ...

compared to my two previous trailers, coachman clipper pup, and a Flagstaff pup made in 1992, I have to agree with you on the quality of the front wheel, level system is weak. My unit now sits in the driveway with about 4 bricks under the tounge lift, just to make sure the extension does not warp. Mind you .. we do have about a 6 degree drop in the driveway, but our other trailers had no issues with a situation like this.
Go with the idea of a dolly lift for sure .. because it will cost you way more to replace the front leveler ... .
see what i did .. a little over the top ..but hey .. ive got the time ..
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ame-16736.html

cheers .. d-mo
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #8

D-Mo - I remember seeing your post when you first wrote it. Sounds way too complicated for me. I just wish that front wheel system was more sturdy. We will wait for the trailer dolly to arrive and hope it works for our setup. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #9

Don't waste your money

Don't waste your money on the harbor freight dolly. I purchased it a few days ago and am on my way back to the store for a refund. I think it would work well for pulling the camper on a flat surface, but found it useless for pushing. In fact I attempting to push my t12bh down my gravel alley when the rubber handle twisted off causing the dolly to crash into the upright position and therefore causing the dolly to brake where it attaches to the ball. I think the trailer is more then the dolly can take. On the other hand, I haven't had any problems using the caster wheel to push the trailer down my alley into my parking spot.
bouldercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #10

As a follow-up, I received the dolly from Harbor Freight within a week. Assembled fairly easy. Have used it twice to move the A-frame and so far, it serves our purpose. Does take a little muscle to get it moving, but easier than having to hook it up to the truck just to move it 10 feet. So, as of now, I give it a .
Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #11

. we love followups .. thanks much ...
d-mo

Tags
a-frame