Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #1

Trip to Yellowstone

We are planning a trip to Yellowstone from Iowa. We will be pulling our A213HW Aframe with a 1/2 ton Dodge truck with a hemi. We have not traveled through the mountains before and we are wondering if we should be concerned with pulling our camper through that terrain. How mountainous is it and how much of a challenge would it be for the truck? We have a tow package on the truck. Thanks
Dee Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #2

You've got nothing to worry about, that is a tiny trailer for a HEMI Ram to tow. Piece of cake.

If you're afraid of heights then don't go over the Beartooth Pass, but if you're adventurous then definitely give it a go. It's beautiful! I towed a larger, heavier trailer over Beartooth and through Yellowstone with a smaller truck and had no problems at all. IMO, other than Beartooth, it's really not a mountainous drive with steep grades to get to/from the area.

You're going to love it!
Old 05-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #3

It's a lot less mountainous than pulling an A-frame from Colorado Springs through Colorado to Southern Utah. Unless you are overloading your A-frame or your truck tows poorly, there should be no problems. I don't know if your setup needs a WDH to redistribute the tongue weight; towing with my minivan certainly does. But the E-2 WDH/anti-sway does a great job of restoring the ride while towing to near stock.

If you come to Yellowstone from the north or northeast (Montana), the mountains are pretty steep. If you approach from the southeast or west, the mountains are a lot gentler. Expect high winds on the high plains/foothills of Wyoming (I80). 30MPH, with gusts to 60, and truck blow-overs are not uncommon. Hopefully, you won't encounter these winds (summer they are less likely).

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as 213HW) A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #4

We pulled a highwall pop-up to Yellowstone from Maryland with my Durango (same engine as your truck). We were also hesitant about going over the Beartooth (new setup for us) so we opted to go around to the north from Sheridan and come into West Yellowstone through the gallatine as we were staying in West Yellowstone koa. Was mostly interstate and very easy. I figured that if the road was designed for semis, then we should have no issues. And we had no trouble at all, and I kinda wish we had tried the Beartooth. Anyway, I don't think you will have issues with the truck.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #5

Welcome to the West. You will see why we like it here.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #6

Here are some pics from our trip there last year, the Yellowstone pics start towards the bottom of page 3 (linked below) and continue about halfway through page 6.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoganw...83062134/page3