Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #1

Unlikely fix to a very annoying squeak

Just thought I'd share this experience in case it can help anyone:

Until yesterday, my A-frame had a squeaky spot in the floor between the right edge of the fridge cabinet and the left end of the dinette seat, near the furnace blower vent. I always assumed this was due to a loose screw somewhere inaccessible that connected the cabinetry to the floor. The dealership told me at the end of last summer that they had fixed it, and it did seem to go away for awhile but then returned full-force.

At my wit's end I decided to try to try to remove the plastic trim along the right edge of the front of the fridge. After just loosening the bottom of three screws, I stepped on the trouble spot, and lo and behold: no squeak. I stepped around the area a few more times yesterday and again today, and the squeak seems to be gone for good.

How loosening a screw at this spot can completely eliminate a loud squeak is beyond me, but it must just be a critical point that rubs with any slight depression of the floor (yes, I wouldn't call it a soft spot, but the floor does have a very slight "give" in that location; the OSB underneath is seated firmly on the frame).

I am very glad I no longer have to deal with this, as it drove me crazy and may have even done the same for any campers nearby!

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
OYO

Thanks, I'll give that a try. We have a similar squeak.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #3

X2
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #4

Post back if it works for either of you!

Old 07-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #5

How is it that the same annoying squeak is in the same spot when we have different models/configurations. I have the A213 and the area in front of fridge (right side) where the cabinet touches the front bench feels squishy and squeaks. Drives me nuts. One post I saw a while back said he fixed his by driving screws from underneath to the cabinet. That he thought it was caused by the cabinet (where fridge is) moving against the flooring.

I have a black rim on my fridge. I may try this too.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #6

There is a wide gap between floor supports in that area as well. The floor is glued to the supports. I think just getting up from the bench puts enough stress on the particle board to bow it some and break it loose from the supports.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #7

Update: I was just out for a weekend trip (having had to tow over some pretty jarring dirt roads, unfortunately), and the squeak has not returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcangler View Post
One post I saw a while back said he fixed his by driving screws from underneath to the cabinet. That he thought it was caused by the cabinet (where fridge is) moving against the flooring.
I vaguely remember that post. But I didn't want to do anything that drastic, so glad I found another "fix," or symptom reducer at least!

Old 07-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #8

We closed ours up yesterday before I could get to it. I did find the three screws, though it looked like there was a cap cover over them. Does the cover just pull out?

I have to take ours to the dealer this week for a problem with the toilet cover. I am going to ask them to look at the squeak and see if they can fix before I try anything. It doesn't bother DH because he is practically deaf (selective I say).
Old 07-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcangler View Post
We closed ours up yesterday before I could get to it. I did find the three screws, though it looked like there was a cap cover over them. Does the cover just pull out?

I have to take ours to the dealer this week for a problem with the toilet cover. I am going to ask them to look at the squeak and see if they can fix before I try anything. It doesn't bother DH because he is practically deaf (selective I say).
Mine just has three exposed screws on the trim piece. All I did was unscrew the bottom one by about one turn, then I put duct tape over it to keep it from coming out anymore. I should probably glue it there instead. The trim itself does not easily pull off (that is what I was originally going to try).

My dealer failed to acknowledge this problem the first couple of times I mentioned it, then on the third try finally did something to fix it temporarily. If I recall correctly, they did say something about a screw and, I think, the fridge - so they might have loosened the same screw and I just screwed it back in again!

Old 07-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #10

Brought ours in for some minor warranty work and asked them to look at and fix the floor squeak. They seemed to have fixed it. They pulled the fridge and put in just one screw through the cabinet to the floor. No squeak now. Will see how long it stays that way.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #11

Maybe that would be my ideal fix - if I had a manuf. warranty and different dealer! I have occasionally been getting creaks in various other locations recently. I think it depends on a number of factors like stabilizer tightness/frame flex, temperature, humidity, etc. I also did notice one spot underneath where there is a considerable gap between frame rail and flooring.