Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #1

Vent Screen Covers

I read a lot of comments about putting some sort of screen cover over the appliance vents to keep wasps, daubers, etc. from clogging up the works, but I'm wondering if folks cover all of them? I can seen covering the large furnace vent openings. The refrigerator's compartment doesn't seem to have places they could get into and clog up. And the water heater already has a screen over it, -not real small, but it seems small enough to keep wasps out. In a lot of years of trailer camping, I've not had any trouble with critters getting in to these things, but I'm wondering. Advice?

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #2

I had a screen on the furnace of my old popup but have not put one on this camper. One reason is that I haven't run the furnace as much so there has been less opportunity for residue to accumulate. I am taking the wait and see approach.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #3

The last two campgrounds I stayed in, in one of them I had a problem with stink bugs getting in the trailer and at the other I had a problem with flies, this one also had a stable at the campground. I'm covering every vent that I can.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
I read a lot of comments about putting some sort of screen cover over the appliance vents to keep wasps, daubers, etc. from clogging up the works, but I'm wondering if folks cover all of them? I can seen covering the large furnace vent openings. The refrigerator's compartment doesn't seem to have places they could get into and clog up. And the water heater already has a screen over it, -not real small, but it seems small enough to keep wasps out. In a lot of years of trailer camping, I've not had any trouble with critters getting in to these things, but I'm wondering. Advice?

kdot
there is a similar thread going on right now, the link below is it,...post #31 is my post about making your own screens,......hope this helps

Furnace Screen Covers are they worth it - Page 4 - Forest River Forums

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I had a screen on the furnace of my old popup but have not put one on this camper. One reason is that I haven't run the furnace as much so there has been less opportunity for residue to accumulate. I am taking the wait and see approach.
the need isn't to stop residue, but to stop the mud daubers from building their nest/homes/houses/nurseries or what ever you call those dirt tunnels they build with the larva inside, they will also plug up any small orifice they can find with their mud and larva

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

Vent screen covers

Fella10, thanks for the referral and the pictures. I guess l'm going to cover them all.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, vent