Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2023, 10:55 AM   #1

Wall weatherstrip

Hi. New member, thank you for this valuable resource. My first trip in Rockwood 2014 122 the latches lined up when I raised the walls, but there was old weather stripping on the walls that was hard and thick and kept them from meeting the roof. I had to pry on it with a can opener, I even bent a latch. I want to replace the weatherstripping, I don't even know if it's supposed to be there. Any suggestions? Thanks.
accordionsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:17 PM   #2

I'm guessing, but starting with the simple:
  • Was the roof full latched at the top?
  • Did you put the stabilizers down before raising the walls? Stabilizers will throw the wall slightly out of wack for me.
  • check for bowing, especially on door side lower wall. My door side was getting difficult to latch, discovered lower wall pulling away from dinette frame.
  • Did you raise the roof before you bought? Did it latch properly then?
Yes, there is a rubber seal on top of the upper wall. It may need renewing.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 05:01 PM   #3

Agreed with Fred about the roof getting latched before putting the stabilizers down. (do you use an electric drill and 3/4" socket for lifting and lowering?? ; )

On my A-Frame the top front section needs to be pulled down gently to get the latch fully seated. I reach thru the door to accomplish this.
Yes, there is a seal between the lower wall and triangle piece being rotated up. If it has dried out and become less compressible then rubber rejuvenator
may make it compressible again. Or you may need to replace this seal (it's very lower profile/thin). Make sure there's nothing else blocking the raising of the wall.
Hope your repair proceeds well.

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:22 PM   #4

Thank you for the thoughts
Yes, the stabilizers were down but just touching. I will check the wall for bowing and the seal along the lower edge. The seller only latched one side when demoing.
Does Rockwell sell replacement seal tape for the walls or do you just buy weatherstripping like you use for around a door?
Old 05-28-2023, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionsrule View Post
Thank you for the thoughts
Yes, the stabilizers were down but just touching. I will check the wall for bowing and the seal along the lower edge. The seller only latched one side when demoing.
Does Rockwell sell replacement seal tape for the walls or do you just buy weatherstripping like you use for around a door?
Had to get home and look at the A122 in person.

You mentioned that one wall difficult to fully raise and latch. . . (by chance) is this the wall that the Previous Owner did not demonstrate and latch?? (I'm thinking this is what PO knew at time of sale ; (

The weather stripping is very thin between top and bottom sections . . . 1 mm or 1/16" is visual estimate on thickness.
When raising my wall there is a minimal resistance (spongy), (last inch movement measured at top point?) to getting the wall to latchable position. When I look for problems that could stop the wall from getting to this position I'm seeing a possible culprit. If the lower hinge is loose to the lower wall there's a lip on the upper/outside aluminum plate that may be contacting the top of the (lower) wall that should actually be outside the wall (makes a wall lock and weather barrier). If this lip is contacting the top of the wall it could sound like the problem you're having. Tighten the screws on the lower hinge. If they're loose and won't tighten then stuff the holes with wooden tooth picks and lots of wood glue. Wait for everything to set and harden up. Drill a pilot hole for the screws and I'm hoping at this point you have a fix that works!!

If you are not able to get at this repair until later push the base of the wall outwards (When nearly fully raised). The top aluminum lip will be forced outwards and not interfere. This is a short time work around only.

Good Luck!!

Old 05-28-2023, 08:58 PM   #6

The weatherstripping on the wall is about 1/4" thick and two different types. It sounds like that is thicker than the OEM seal. I will also check the hinge and make sure the wall isn't hitting the lip before it's in position. Yes, the seller probably knew latching was hard, but he hadn't used it for several years and we were both expecting some things to be sticky or creaky. Thank you for the list of things to check, I do need to pay attention to the bottom hinges.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:16 PM   #7

Had any luck with getting your walls up and locked in place??

Old 07-24-2023, 08:37 AM   #8

Hi, I can lock the walls in after I replaced the weatherstripping that looked like it was not oem with a thinner weatherstripping. I can see light through it so I shove in pipe insulation. I'm keeping my eye out for a weatherstrip that looks like the right thickness.
Old 07-24-2023, 09:47 AM   #9

Great news!! . . . and happy that walls are cooperating now . . .
Another poster here runs masking tape between roof and trailer sides when traveling (road water splashing and entering trailer) . . . You may be able to borrow the tape idea. While the trailer's dry just apply over the hinge joint. Temporary, until you find the correct weather strip, but nice to have a dry home . . .

Old 07-24-2023, 02:55 PM   #10

��