Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

water coming in through fridge controls

Howdy All,

Had our A122S for a couple weeks. Already been through a couple strong to severe thunderstorms. When there is heavy rain and a strong wind coming into the side of the camper with the fridge control boxes, water is blowing into those through the vents then leaking into the camper under the fridge.

Trying to brainstorm longterm fixes for this as it concerns me to have water sitting in there under the fridge and other places.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Zack
Z Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

This needs to be addressed right away to prevent floor damage.

Is the fridge sealed to the RV wall? Pictures would help to see if it was done properly.

It can also be the fridge drain line not being routed to the exterior fridge door access.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #3

Rain would need to be coming in sideways to get into my refrig compartment.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Not rain; water from the drain pan under the fridge fins. There is a plastic hose that goes from the low point in the drip pan outside. If the hose is broken; (very common), water from the pan will collect near the bottom of the fridge. If the bottom of the fridge is not caulked well to the outside of the wall;, water can enter the camper and rot the floor.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Williams View Post
... When there is heavy rain and a strong wind coming into the side of the camper with the fridge control boxes, water is blowing into those through the vents then leaking into the camper under the fridge. Zack
If it's blowing in during a rain storm, then you need to figure out where it's getting in at. You could have a fridge wall vent that's not installed correctly.

As Big Vic said, it'd have to rain completely sideways in order to blow in the fridge vent due to the way the louvers are made.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #6

Have the dealer check it out. I am hopefully getting mine back this week after discovering my hose was cracked and the fridge was not sealed properly so water was coming in as well and warped all the wood. After a few discussion the dealership finally agreed to warranty this. All the wood around my fridge and in the kitchen had to be replaced so it took almost 2 months for the wood to come in, another month for the right wood to come in and now 2 weeks to completely gut the trailer and reinstall it. So I can't stress enough about getting the dealer to look at it asap before your wood warps. Good luck.
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Depending upon the install, some have complained that water can infiltrate under the lower outside frig access cover. They suggest running a bead of silicone along inside along the sill at the base.

None of this matters if exterio if the surrounding caulk is bad or if access vents are-- oh say upsidedown
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #8

The A-frame fridges (standard height models) do not have a drain.

I would suspect, as others have mentioned, a vent being upside down. The standard Dometic vents have trouble passing air in gale-force winds, much less water. I've never seen a drop of water through the vents in my A122 despite some pretty fierce thunderstorms.

Unfortunately, if the vent is upside down, chances are the frame was mounted upside down also. Mine has tabs at the top and lock "screws" at the bottom. I don't think it would latch upside down.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:20 PM   #9

Once again Fred you make sense out of confusing posts. I read Herk's post regarding fridge drains, fridge pans, fridge hoses, etc, and was scratching my head wondering what the heck I'm not understanding?

I then saw that he does not own an A-Frame and that he probably is passing on bad info to A-Framers based on his own experiences with a different classification of camper. Was just about to post an answer similar to yours when I saw your reply.

Not sure of the exact issue/cause from Z Williams issue but agree with your assessment. So glad for all your input.

Terry

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red Camper View Post
Once again Fred you make sense out of confusing posts. I read Herk's post regarding fridge drains, fridge pans, fridge hoses, etc, and was scratching my head wondering what the heck I'm not understanding?

I then saw that he does not own an A-Frame and that he probably is passing on bad info to A-Framers based on his own experiences with a different classification of camper. Was just about to post an answer similar to yours when I saw your reply. Terry
Apologies, I thought the absorption fridge in your A frame had cooling fins like most (I assumed all) do. My bad.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #11

Thank you for the input.

The vents were not upside down. I am confident this is where the water was coming as I watched it. The wind was pushing the water up the slope and through the vents.

The winds were 50-60 mph and it was raining >1 an hr. Maybe not much can hold up to that but I am determined to try to improve it. As I went through 2 severe storms in the first 3 weeks of ownership.

Thought maybe someone else had experienced this and done something about it.

My first attempt at a solution is a strip of weatherstripping along each vent as hopefully is shown in the attached photo. And then a strip of weatherstripping inside along the bottom as well.

I dont expect this type of storm too regularly but you never know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170614_105050.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	141397  
Z Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #12

First I've ever heard of this happening to someone. I think 50-60 mph winds could push the water as you've explained.

Have to think about this a bit to try and come up with a solution. Might have to think about this for a long time as nothing is coming to my mind at the moment.

One piece of good news is that your A-Frame handled 50-60 mph winds coming straight into the side of the camper! Your camper had to be doing a little moving and shaking. This gives me added confidence in the ability of my A-frame to handle more than I thought it could.

Terry

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, water