Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Water heater and gas detector

We went on our first camping trip of the season. Turned on water heater and water pump. While washing dishes when I turned the hot water on and the Safe T Alert monitor by the fuse box sent out an alarm. We were able to reset it by pressing the Test/Mute button. When I turned on the hot water the alarm went off again. Once again we were able to stop it by pressing the button. We turned off the propane to the Aframe and only used the cold water for the rest of our trip. Any ideas on what would cause the monitor to go off when using the water heater? Any help is appreciated. Happy Camping everyone!!
Lazygirl58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 AM   #2

That sensor is supposed to monitor propane and CO. Leaks of either of those are possible when using the water heater, which is in the same compartment. Although the water heater should be pretty bullet proof as far as leaks go because the combustion and propane valve equipment all vents directly to the outside. But there may be a problem. I'd start by pulling the cover off the compartment and having a look. If for instance a seal was broken, it could let CO leak in.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazygirl58 View Post
We went on our first camping trip of the season. Turned on water heater and water pump. While washing dishes when I turned the hot water on and the Safe T Alert monitor by the fuse box sent out an alarm. We were able to reset it by pressing the Test/Mute button. When I turned on the hot water the alarm went off again. Once again we were able to stop it by pressing the button. We turned off the propane to the Aframe and only used the cold water for the rest of our trip. Any ideas on what would cause the monitor to go off when using the water heater? Any help is appreciated. Happy Camping everyone!!
When you say you turned the hot water "on", do you mean just the tap...or the water heater itself?

I am assuming you meant just the tap, since you said while washing dishes. I am also assuming that if it's just the tap, then the water heater already had heated the water inside it.......... so it would seem like a gas is coming out with the hot water from the tap. Is this correct?

Also, you don't have an on demand/tankless water heater by chance, do you?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #4

Are you by any chance over 1500 feet elevation? Documentation states your problem is more common at higher altitudes.
RichardEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #5

Sorry. That is 4500 feet not 1500 feet up.
RichardEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardEB View Post
Sorry. That is 4500 feet not 1500 feet up.
Our first trip that we actually turned on the hot water heater caused the alarm to trip. We were at 6000ft. I turned the heater off. Another A-frame owner came wandering by (for mutual admiration). He said the same thing had happened to him. He reset and the heater/water heater worked fine rest of the trip. He said he had repeats once in a while when lighting the hot water heater at the beginning of a trip. I then reset my alarm, restarted the hot water heater, and never have had a problem since.

As delivered, I had a propane leak where the regulator hose connects to the frame pipe (outside) - but this was detected by smell, not by the inside detector. Dealer located the fitting that was leaking and corrected under warranty.

I do turn the propane off at the tank valves (we have dual tanks) when towing or stored in the garage.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer 600/6000 WDH - don't tow without it
camping Colorado one weekend at a time

PS Last weekend was camping in Lincoln, Nebraska - a small A-frame among the big boys. They were all fascinated with how fast and easily we set up.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

The altitude was sea level as we were at the beach. I had turned the water pump and hot water heater on. And the alarm went off only when I turned the water on at the tap. We are going to check the compartment. Husband did say it too a couple of attempts to light the water heater so maybe there was extra gas because of that. Going camping in a week so I hope all goes well. Thanks for your help.
Lazygirl58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #8

The detector alarm will sound on low voltage. So what you are describing could be an electrical problem. The water pump does have a heavy current draw and its possible that tin conjunction with a poor wire connection, the voltage could drop. Take an unopened digital multi-meter along just in case. If you don't need to use the meter, then return it to the store.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #9

Speaking of the alarm going off on low voltage, mine started the slow beep this morning. I pushed and held the test button hoping it would silence it but no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks!
mikeandclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandclay View Post
Speaking of the alarm going off on low voltage, mine started the slow beep this morning. I pushed and held the test button hoping it would silence it but no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Is your battery about dead?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
The detector alarm will sound on low voltage. So what you are describing could be an electrical problem. The water pump does have a heavy current draw and its possible that tin conjunction with a poor wire connection, the voltage could drop. Take an unopened digital multi-meter along just in case. If you don't need to use the meter, then return it to the store.
Just keep the multi meter in the camper you'll need it it again .

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Is your battery about dead?

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
That's what I'm thinking... It's flashing red and green which says its low voltage. Any idea of how to silence it so I don't go mad!?
mikeandclay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heater, water, water heater