Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #1

Water not working properly

Our water system is working fine when hooked up to a water source but when trying to draw water from the tank it sputters and spits and the water pump does not shut off. Any ideas? Last year it was working fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
maminkagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Make sure if it has an antifreeze suction line that the valve is closed and another member found that the screw on screen on the pump was loose and when tightened the pump worked great,
Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Check the tightness of the little water strainer.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by maminkagirl View Post
Our water system is working fine when hooked up to a water source but when trying to draw water from the tank it sputters and spits and the water pump does not shut off. Any ideas? Last year it was working fine.

You are sucking air in the intake line to the pump:

1) Make SURE the fresh tank is full. Due to the location and levelness of the tank, you may be indicating 1/3 full but the suction line may not be completely submerged. (see photo) In the photo, due to the "levelness" the tank is "full" but only indicates 2/3 full. The reverse is true if the tank is not level in the other direction. It would suck air and still indicate it has water in it.

2) Make sure connections on the suction side are tight.

3) Make sure the antifreeze/water selection valve is all the way to the water side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	75359  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #5

Never mind I see it is covered above.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #6

Thank you! Any idea where the the antifreeze suction valve is located? I think that might be the culprit since the dealer did not dewinterize the unit as I requested.

maminkagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thank you! Any idea where the the antifreeze suction valve is located? I think that might be the culprit since the dealer did not dewinterize the unit as I requested.

If it was in freezing weather and not winterized, the strainer bowl could be cracked and leaking or the pump itself may be leaking.

Depending on where your pump is located, it should be VERY close to it so you can access the antifreeze jug.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:

AFAIK, A-Frames do not come with a winterizing valve on the water tank draw line. At least mine didn't. As others have said, make sure the tank is full and check the connections on the draw line. And look for wet spots and drips.

The following may not be your problem, but it is similar and experienced by many A-frame owners.

Sputtering and the pump running on for a short while after the faucet is closed can be caused by the water filter housing. Since the actual filter causes a notable pressure drop the dealer may not have installed it in the housing. The solution to this is to remove the housing from the water path by unscrewing the pipes installing a 3" of 4" MPT nipple in the filters place. If the filter is in place and is clogged, then look at changing it or removing the housing, as you prefer.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
Site Team

If the dealer winterized and the unit did not come with a winterizing valve, the dealer probably disconnected the inlet side of the pump and connected the antifreeze feed. They may not have tightened up that fitting when they put it back on. It will be on the input side of the water pump.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #10

There is a valve at the bottom of the tank under the trailer near the drain that sucks in air if open. Make sure it is closed.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

I just had to put in a new pump on my trailer. No antifreeze hose attached so I hand pumped through the city line when I winterized it in the fall. Didn't even think about the pump not being drained. I had to get a new pump and anti-freeze line - $170.00 CDN later and a few hours of squeezing me under the kitchen cabinet and it's done.

The manufacturer for the pump suggests to disconnect both intake and outlet hose from the pump and then put towels under and run it dry then turn it off and leave it disconnected for the winter. Leaving a sign for yourself that the plumbing is disconnected. I went with the anti-freeze hose option for next fall.

2020 Chevy Silverado RST
2014 Surveyor Select SV 264

2020 - 4 Nights Camping - Covid and Surgery does that.
Beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
jkoenig24

Do you have an outside shower? If you do and, one or both valves are left open, it can result in wonky water service.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #13

On my 2014 A122, I had a similar issue when I went to use water from the tank for the first time. Found a closed valve under the sink between the tank and the pump, right beside the low point drain. FWIW, my unit was winterized (delivered to Colorado in March).

The dealer did not install the water filter element in the filter (and suggested that I think twice before installing) casing, although they did show me how to do it on the PDI. After reading the horror stories on this forum, I have never put the filter element in, and will leave the filter casing untouched until I get around to bypassing it or installing a different filter.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water