Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #61

Some suspensions make it difficult to get the tire you want to take off the ground. If your trailer has a rigid equalizer it is much easier using the above pictured unit.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
I learned my lesson when I had my 1st RV flat tire, that is keep all your road maintenance tools all in one place. I had tools behind the truck seat, tools in the trailer storage and tools in a tote in the truck bed. I had all my cargo spread along the hwy to get to all my needed tools. Now everything fits in one tote, bottle jack, breaker bar with sockets for both vehicles, flashlite, blanket, impact wrench, tire repair kit, airecompressor, rags etc. That tote rides in the back seat for easy access. And never jack up your trailer on the axle, place jack under suspension instead of axle.
I agree with the keeping it all together. I'm adding another basement access door to get to where there is extra room and all the emergency stuff will go in there, and not be in the way with the regular basement stuff.
For our first big trip two years ago, not knowing what to expect, I got a Harbor Freight 20-ton jack. It was on sale and my only negative comment is that it is heavy. But what did I expect for a bottle jack of that capability. Wondered if I over-bought, that is until I needed it. (See rest of posting).
I added a piece of diamond plate and some 2x10 scrap pieces. I also bring my big torque wrench for the lug nuts.
Sure enough, on Alligator Alley in FL, we got two flats at once on the same side. Needed the truck jack to raise the axle enough to put the bottle jack under it. Two flats, one spare. Not cool. Luckily we were 1/4 mile from the only exit and service plaza for another gazillion miles so got off at idle speed and was lucky enough to not destroy the rim.
Rest of story was finding a place at 4:30 pm 30 miles away that had trailer tires, leaving the 5th wheel at the gas station, taking off the second wheel, throwing them both in the bed and racing to the place before they closed at 6 pm, and getting them mounted. Was happy to get there by 5:20. When one of the women at the desk said they couldn't get it done today, I had to clarify her thinking. The service people were amenable to my way of thinking. (8-)
Got to our RV park in Miami by 9pm and got chastised by one of the campers for pulling into the place in the dark. Had to clarify his thinking, too. Our first introduction to RVing in the fast lane. Planning a trip cross-country next year and will be trying to imagine the unimaginable, just in case. But, of course, "we don't know what we don't know".
psikora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:35 AM   #63
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrenfro View Post
If i was to have ,say a flat tire while pulling my Forrest river freedom express 246 rk,how long does it take , AAA or Good Sam to respond and arrive ? I am still capable of doing it my self but was wondering if it's worth the wait ??
I was on I-20 at I-35-W in Fort Worth and it took just over 2 hours for Good Sam to get someone to me. And that's a major metropolitan area. One other time I needed a jump start and they said it would take about 2 hours.

I cancelled them. I do now carry roadside assistance through my insurance company but it is far less expensive than Good Sam. I'm 68 years old and can still change a tire on our fifth wheel in under 20 minutes, but I mainly carry the roadside assistance in the event of a tow or something more major.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:50 AM   #64
ENE

Any road side assistance service will vary from who you choose, they all use the same service station. That one service station could be a very business area, canceling your service and going with someone else woulds be the same response time at the same service station. Most of the service station accept all the memberships road side maintenance.
It's best to buy two ever is the cheapest.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #65
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Coach Net
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #66
Site Team

When I bought my 2010 rockwood fiver I got a 12 ton bottle Jack. Didn't mean to get 12 ton. I meant to get a 6-ton since the max trailer weight was around 12,000lbs. But now I have a class c and the 12 ton Jack transferred over just fine. Funny how things work out. 🤣
* Also carry a 19.2v Craftsman cordless impact wrench with socket and extension bar.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #67

I guess I'm the only one who carries a large floor jack like I use in the shop? Stow it in the hatch of our Grey Wolf 26RR, works for both the unit and the F250. Also a great way to make a friend if your neighbor doesn't have to a jack.
Lefty Squeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #68

I bought a double ram Torin bottle jack. Goes from about 7" to 14" extended and fits under one of our under-slung axles(axle tube under the springs). Gives enough space to slip a 2x4 under the U-bolts. Compact enough that it's stored under the bed.

Note that if jacking under a frame, some frames are around 24" above the ground and some sort of cribbing is needed to build up enough height for a jack to work. If jacking under the frame, you must use jack stands (ASME listed too!). What I don't like about jacking up a frame or using a Trailer-Aid ramp is that it tilts the trailer over a bit. Not good if at the side of a road with a sloping shoulder. Unnerving even on level ground.

Everyone has their favorite method tho. that works for them.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #69
ENE

Coach apples to apples was more expensive.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #70
ENE

Do you carry a forklift to move it in & out of trailer/truck : )