Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #21
Junior Old Fart

When I bought my '18 Rockwood A122S, I torqued the lug nute to 95 ft/lb.
I've made several trips amounting to ~1200 miles. When I got home from the last trip, I rechecked the torque on the lug nuts and they were still at 95.
LTDunltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:24 AM   #22

My Dad after failing to check the torque on his 54 Ford truck the wheel fell off coming up a steep hill back in eastren Ohio. I always check torque on my trailer. Just in case! And Msince my trucks wheels are rotated every oil change I double check the garage too.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #23

I check the tire pressure before every trip, and visually inspect the tires at every stop. Since the tires are rated for 75 MPH, I try not to go faster than 70 MPH. After bringing the trailer home from the dealer and before taking our first trip, I took the tires to get balanced at Discount Tires. This is how much lead they needed:

As you can see those tires were bouncing all over the place, but we did not feel anything inside the truck. I am pretty sure blowouts were just around the corner. IMHO, balancing the tires is just as important as checking tire pressure, load and speed ratings, etc.
carloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:12 AM   #24

I balance my trailer tires even the ranch trailers. Its a myth that you don't have to balance trailer tires.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcarey View Post
Why are some people checking the lug nuts so much during a trip? I've never had an issue with them coming loose. I certainly never check my car lug nuts?

Is there some thing I am missing?
I re-torque before a trip as I am inflating the tires. It's simple to do. But not during the trip.

When installing a wheel, the manual says to re-torquing two times after driving various distances, just to be sure. It seems like sound advice.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I balance my trailer tires even the ranch trailers. Its a myth that you don't have to balance trailer tires.
That is a great point! Multiple trailers I bought new never had the tires balanced from the factory. Those tires never lasted long.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #27

After reading through this thread I went and looked at the tires on my A122THESP and they are 15 inch Westlake Light Truck (LT) tires. The westlake site say they have an "L" speed rating which is 75mph.

My tow vehicle seems to pull best around 70mph so that's a good thing but when I read about the TPMS system I started doing some research.

Holy Cow those things can get expensive! I looked at some of the cheaper options and it was near impossible to find a 6 tire setup for less than $200 that any decent quality reviews. Until those remote systems start to get cheaper I won't be buying one of them.

I have used THESE on my motorcycle and have been happy with them. So, I bought a set for my TV and the A-Frame. I have a cross country trip planned for September so I'll report back on how they worked.
p40whk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, tire, tires