Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #21

Regarding the window tape, it is not cheap. However, since this appears to be a good solution to seal potential leak points, I am considering purchasing some 1" to seal all of the top edge seams and 2" to go around the roof vent. I have no problems, but one leak can cause a lot of damage. Sometimes the cost of prevention is much cheaper than the cost of a repair.

I found WW Grainger to be competitive in pricing.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #22

I will be picking up my A122 from the dealer this morning, it was in to have the bubble window replaced (it was cracked on all 4 corners). I will post up later on how they did with the replacement. I am still waiting to get the trailer back to the dealer for the roof closing issue that it has. The dealer is busy right now with winterizing and stuff, so they said it would be two weeks before they can get to it. I plan on getting a few more trips in, and I can still close it up it just takes a little work.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #23

It will be interesting to see if they used the 3M tape to seal your window. My dealer said that FR has gone back to taping because of leaking issues.

I hope all goes well.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #24

Just got the camper back and they did an OK job with the window replacement. They used the same tape and it looks and feels pretty tuff, it should hold up well. They did a pretty good job with the tape, there are a few spots that could be better, but I`m happy with it. It`s nice to have my camper back!

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #25

I'm glad you got your trailer back and it is repaired properly. Now go out and use it.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #26

Okee Dokee

but im still having a problem with this 3m stuff on the windows. My build date was 10/10 ... probably the earliest A122s i know of .. and it didnt have this on the outside of the bubble ...like shown ...nor have i ever seen this done ...except in fixes ....

just a thought .. just a notion ... dont fix ... what is not broken ...

d-mo
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #27

I've found many areas were the caulking is sloppy. My problem is that I live 4.5 hours away from my dealer.
I wish now that I would found a closer dealer.
edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar View Post
I've found many areas were the caulking is sloppy. My problem is that I live 4.5 hours away from my dealer.
I wish now that I would found a closer dealer.

I am sure you could buy the same tape and do the install yourself. I would just make sure that you prep and clean the area real good and use a small roller to smooth out the tape. You will most likely do a better job than the dealer`s service department, because you own it and will take the time to do it right. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I am sure you could buy the same tape and do the install yourself. I would just make sure that you prep and clean the area real good and use a small roller to smooth out the tape. You will most likely do a better job than the dealer`s service department, because you own it and will take the time to do it right. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks! will do.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #30

heres my thought on these self fixes ... under warrenty.
they are not covered ... if the fixed fail .. your out of luck.
fixed by the dealer, they are, as long as you have a papertrail.
For my fixes, i did them all at the end of the camping season, all at once. This way, the dealer does it, it gives you time to organize your storage, and it shows it is still under warrenty. Roof warrentys on these trailer are for 5 years, which is virtually unheard of these days. Your windows are on the roof ..therefore .. they are under the same warrenty.

just my .02

d-mo
Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #31

Good points. I had already spoken to the dealer about it. I just have to make sure there is a record of the problem, and The problem is that this is probably NOT a factory defect , so the dealer has to own to it... and, you're right D-mo.
I think I can fix it, but I know that if I cause any damage they are all off the hook then.
I think I'll give it a little more thought.
Thanks.
ps. I want to fix it sooo bad, I'm ready to grab my tools right now and do it.
EDGAR
Old 02-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #32

This tape kind of reminds me of a semi-transparant Eternabond tape. Do you think it could be used around the windows on the side of a travel trailer? I am always concerned about water leaking at the windows and doors and subsequent delamination. This tape might prevent that...do you think? Is it permanent?
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpickerington View Post
I have supplied a link to what my dealer used on my bubble window. He stated this is what FR originally used before going to regular caulking. He also said they have gone back to this tape.

The tape is available from several places online. It can be installed without having to go back to the dealer.

I avoid anyone working on my trailer other than myself.

3M

Installation Videos:

3m extreme sealing tape - Yahoo! Video Search
Man, that looks like so good stuff! I am going to make a note as a reminder about this tape. Thanks.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #34

sealing tape

The tape is 3M Extreme sealing tape 4412 N and it sales in, 1,2 and 3".You can get it from ULINE part #S17350 wich is the 2 inch x 18 yds
Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #35

Use a good silicone caulk it comes in colors to match your rv i like the latisil product only problem with pur silicone it does show up a little shiny
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar
The tape is 3M Extreme sealing tape 4412 N and it sales in, 1,2 and 3".You can get it from ULINE part #S17350 wich is the 2 inch x 18 yds
Edgar - per your recommendation we purchased the sealing tape (pricier than I thought) and applied it to all the skylights. Note - it's extremely sticky and much easier to apply once it's warmed a bit. Glad to report that it rained 6 inches on our most recent camping adventure...and the tape worked like a charm! Yeah! Thanks for the suggestion!
KristenDavid208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #37

Very cool, I'glad that it has worked for you.
I have not taped my as of today, but after some good storms we have not detecyed any leaks.
I am really more worried about how it stands up to leaks when it is open. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Im aslo worried about the rubber seal where the two roof parts come toguether when it is closed. I am making sure that the camper leans back a little so water runs away from that seal, just in case.
enjoy
edgar
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #38

well ....

Guys/gals .. I (and i mean only me) am really thinking that you guys are over thinking this.
I wont go into my usual banter about warrenties and stuff ... its all just common sence ... you dont screw around with stuff that isnt broken ... if you your not impressed ... back to the dealer we should go ...... we should start a "Fixed under Warrenty" thread. ...

d-mo
Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #39

Thanks for the advice D-mo. But I live in Florida where 6 inches of rain is a weekly occurrence.
KristenDavid208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #40

FYI peeps, Grainger has the 2"x18yd 4412N 3M extreme sealing tape on clearance for $8.15/roll. An amazing deal due to limited quantities, some of the other sizes are also on clearance but not as great a deal. Just passing it on since the tape is usually $50-70 a roll normally.

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...rue&sst=subset
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame