RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #1

Winter Insulation ?

Hi All,

I was just curious as to what others may be doing in their A Frame for insulation.

I知 planning on using the Camper Dry during the Winter.. I got the Pool noodles for the roof to wall seams... we got foam mats cut to the floor, but I知 looking at something for the roof and walls....

I am looking at cutting some insulation panels at Home Depot or Lowe痴 and mounting someway to the roof and walls.. I知 thinking they will be removable.. do not want to puncture anything with screws.. trying to figure out how to glue velcro to the walls or roof without a lot of mess or use another method..?

Anyone out there doing anything similar to this?
Robert123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
Pop-up refugee

Better than noodles, I'd recommend making your own door snakes. You don't want to buy door snakes because they're heavy and dense, but with some fabric, stuffing and a sewing machine, you can easily make a custom set that should work better than noodles and be more durable as well.

I could see something like Command hooks being helpful at keeping insulation panels in place- they could go right through the panels and secure them that way. What should be easier to work with than styrofoam panels is the foil backed bubble wrap garage door insulation panels. Clear bubble wrap for the windows is a must, you don't need to give up light for insulation. Even something as simple as a tarp tied down over the roof can help keep the wind off, sort of like a tent for your camper.

Keep thinking, try out a few things, and have fun out there. Let us know how everything works out.
Relaxin in the woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #3

I'd say the first thing to do would be put some sort of skirting around the bottom edges. That would help tremendously.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

What are you looking to achieve with the insulation? That would go a long ways in defining what should be insulated, and what not.

We camp in Colorado (and Wyoming and Texas) in the winter. We look for weather windows of a few days with high 50s/low 30s minimum because we camp outside. Cooking, cleaning, eating, daytime lounging is outside. We have been caught on several occasions in 40/25 weather. If it lasts more than 1-2 days, we may go home, depending on drive distance, and duration of trip. We can sit inside our Colorado Springs house a lot more comfortably when it's really cold/snowing outside.

That said, we have done nothing to insulate our A-frame beyond the way it came. The hinges of the roof panels are covered with curtain material. We have never noticed any draft from roof or side hinges. There is some cold air from the rear bubble window. We crack one window (my side of the twin bed) and the roof vent to prevent condensation - more important the colder it gets.

The Cool Cat heater works to about 42 deg outside temp if we have electric (normal in CO, TX state parks). Otherwise, the propane heat works fine. We have 2 GC-2 batteries to carry the heater through 4 nights of 50% runtime on the heater (very rare for 50% heater runtime). We use down blankets on the beds, which allow us to set the thermostat at 50-55 deg - or no heat at all for high 40s. Heat is generally off during the day.

I did modify the forward vent on the Cool Cat to face forward on the front of the bed to get better heat and cool air circulation, instead of it all dumping into the well between the beds. This is one of the better mods I have done.

Never had a problem with water freezing. Colorado public campgrounds turn off water Oct - May except for a central spigot in most cases so we depend on our own water. All the A-frame piping except right at the tank and the feed across to the cassette potty is located inside the cabinets inside the camper box.

just our thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:46 AM   #5

I知 looking to insulate in general, both Cold and Heat... Last year in Texas on a 100 + day it was quite miserable in the Camper even with the heat pump...

(I am investigating so sort of real AC unit to put in Camper too...)

The Bubble wrap above sounded like a good idea for the windows, I hadn稚 heard of that one yet.. We have had a draft or two in the wind.. I also insulate in the hopes of using less energy to maintain the comfort level we are seeking.. we have an outside shade we put over the back bubble window.. wrap around and bungee it to the rack bars...

The Unit is fine, but I壇 like to be able to take it down to 0 and up to 110, without dying in it.. that痴 really more than it is designed for, but I see it being possible.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #6

The heat pump in the Forest Rivers is a regular AC unit. It just has a mode that allows you to reverse its function and dump heat inside instead of outside.

AC units don稚 do great when you are trying to drop the temp much over 20 degrees. If it痴 100+ outside, getting below 80+ inside will be a struggle. Plus it is harder for AC units to remove humidity when they are pushed hard which will add to discomfort.

On the cold end of the spectrum, we致e been comfortable in the low 20s with the furnace. Usually set it to 60 and it is able to hold that without issues.
PapaGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #7

In the A-frames (this is the A-frame forum), the AC (called Cool Cat) is located under the rear bed. Because of the small volume to cool, the Cool Cat has kept us in the low 70s in the Waco, TX summer 100 degree days. That said, if you have the fan on High instead of Auto, the Cool Cat doesn't keep up as well. The unit needs to cycle periodically, which it won't do with fan on high.

Because we camp outside, we avoid weather extremes. The A-frame is our deluxe tent/hotel on wheels. The only time we are in prolonged uncomfortable outside temps is when we have inside activities during the day. Spending considerable daytime inside the A-frame is not our idea of recreation. So I'm not much help to the OP.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #8

Yes, We have the Cool Cat in the A-Frame.. We may have been doing it a little wrong, we would put it on high and not auto.... We will be trying out auto mode next Summer and seeing how it痴 does there..

Thanks to all for the assistance and info.

Tags
insulation, winter