Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #1

Winter storage- Jacking up?

I have a T12RB A Frame and was wondering if it is a good practice to jack the camper and take the weight off the wheels during long periods of storage? If so, what support points should be considered? Perhaps it isn't necessary due to the overall weight.
Rob
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl
Rob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If stored inside on cement just put wood under tires .
No need to jack up.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #3

Personally, I dont take any weight off the tires. I ensure tho that the tires are inflated to the correct level before it gets tucked away in the garage, and the wheel bearings get a good shot of grease.

welcome to the board ... d-mo
Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

Storeing outside up here in SNOW country I place a scissor jack under the frame between the 2 axles and lift the trl just a hair, and then put all 4 corner jacks down on wood pads. My reason for doing this is the snow load on the roof by the time winter is over can top 1000 lbs. With the scissor jacks and corner jacks down this prevents having the suspension under a heavy load all winter.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

I would park it on wood planks and jack it up between the axles just enough so the tire/wheel can be turned/rotated. Otherwise, you take a chance of getting flat spots on the tires. If stored outside, I would also completely cover the tires with garbage bags after inflating to recommended pressure.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #6

Only one axle!
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl
Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Smith View Post
I have a T12RB A Frame and was wondering if it is a good practice to jack the camper and take the weight off the wheels during long periods of storage? If so, what support points should be considered? Perhaps it isn't necessary due to the overall weight.
Rob
Yes, done it for my first winter. Since I'm storing it for the next 5 months outside and the exposed to upcoming snow during the winter, I decided to jack it up with a pair of jack stand on each tire. Check my posts for more information and Pic, I even called Forrest River services to check it what I did is fine with them: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-27602-13.html
Good luck winterizing your rig, review my posts on how I winterized my rig too.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Smith View Post
Only one axle!
Duh, I would jack the ONE axle up and put it on jack stands and inflate to proper pressure and completely cover with a garbage bag.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

I'm not personally convinced that modern RV radials are a significant concern for permanent flat spotting that would cause the tire to be unusable.

For someone withthe time on their hands and who likes to tinker, I have no problem with them going through the elaborate storage and un-storage routines tho. I just don't have the time or feel the need to make some of these things a priority. The vast majority of all personal vehicles spend the majority of their time not moving, sitting on their tires... And I don't hear too much about permanent flat spotting as a result of that.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
The vast majority of all personal vehicles spend the majority of their time not moving, sitting on their tires... And I don't hear too much about permanent flat spotting as a result of that.
Most personal vehicles don't spend 3-5 months sitting without moving. Regardless of whether the flat spotting is temporary or permanent, why subject your trailer to the thumping when 10 minutes of work can eliminate it?

Don't think it is for people that like to tinker, just those who want to take care of their trailer to the best of their ability.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc
Don't think it is for people that like to tinker, just those who want to take care of their trailer to the best of their ability.
I agree 100%, I actually enjoyed the challenged to elevate my rig's tire and now I know how to do this easier next season. Here is a pic of what I did and FR service approved it:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1064123904.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	21485
Don't jack it on the axle, not recommended by FR

The front jack should be higher so the rig is tilted for water on the top to run down.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #12

To me, this has always been a puzzuling topic. Some people say to jack up and put wood under your tires, others say no need to. I have yet to drive by an RV Dealership and see any trailer/camper jacked up or with wood under the tires. A person would think that since a RV Dealership has so much money invested in their units that they would do whatever is needed to protect their investment but they don't do anything except clean the snow off of them. I too believe that Radial Tires are not subject to flat spots just sitting any any lentgh of time, again, this is my opinion only. This A Frame I now have is the third camper with tires, did have a truck camper at one time, and I have yet to have any flat spots on any tires. Until I see hard proof that leaving your camper sit causes flat spots on the tires, I will continue to do what I have done for so many years, nothing.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #13

backpacker3 bear in mind that MOST dealers have new stock and what used stock they have is already worn out, ad to that they most don't really pay attention to anything but selling the units. Jacking up the frame during the winter to keep the snow load off the suspension goes a long way to keeping the suspension is good shape and less chance of failure. In my case the trl weighs 5800 from the factory and with a GVW of 6600 that leaves a load capacity of only 800 lbs. With 1' of more of snow on the roof that can easily add up to OVER 1000lbs (especally if it's wet snow) how good is it on the suspension to be over loaded by 2-500 lbs all winter?

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

To each his own, if we ever park our 5er for over 2 months, it will have the tires/wheels hanging without touching the concrete just like all the rest of them have been stored since 1976.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #15

Flat spot tires and failed suspensions. Oh my!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Flat spot tires and failed suspensions. Oh my!
Don't think anyone is suggesting failed suspensions, maybe some temporary flat spots. Let's not get carried away.

Why chance it?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #17

Thanks all incl Ko777 for the great photo. After winterizing the plumbing etc. I jacked up each wheel at the chassis in front of the axle and set each down on a wood plank. At the same time I greased the Ultra-Lube hubs and gave each wheel a spin to ensure the grease move through all the voids. BTW it took almost a full tube before seeing the new grease appear, which I believe is normal. This year I'll leave the weight on the wheels with the 4 corner jacks deployed.
Rob
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #18

I've seen various opinions about what grease to use for the EZ-Lube hubs. What is recommended? I store my T12RB A-Frame in the driveway under an oak tree. I leave it up all year, stabilizers deployed, and plugged in to keep the battery charged. Last year was pretty mild in Philadelphia but it's supposed to be back to normal or worse this year. My thinking is the snow will be easier to clean off the roof when up.

1995 Dodge Dakota V-8
2011 Flagstaff T12RB
Buddy Borders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #19

Backpacker, I'm glad I'm not the only one whose puzzled. I married into a family of motorheads - my father in law raced dragsters, one brother in law races sprint cars and another races bump to pass...I thought we were excessive with having two types of utility trailers, a motorhome, a travel trailer, a camper, 3 classic car, 4 trucks, an SUV, a boat and a run around sportscar until I counted 23 classic cars at one of the brothers shops. haha.
We do go months at a time before using a vehicle.....and never seen a flat spot. I would think we'd have seen that occur on the open bed utility trailers esp after sitting uncovered in the winter snow...but come springtime, that trailer pulls like a charm.
Now that we've added an A frame to our family, in comparison to traditional travel trailers and 5ers, the a-frame is a lightweight dinky trailer - I am more concerned that I got the water out of the lines or didnt leave anything inside that 1) might explode when frozen or 2) attract unwanted critters than (temporary) flat spots on tires....
This is the first time I have ever heard mention of it being an RV concern....but it is agreed that we do what we feel is in the best interest of our belongings, especially since RVs cant be counted as an investment - its a guarantee they will only depreciate over time...so some will jack up and others will not...definitely to each his own on this topic.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Borders View Post
I've seen various opinions about what grease to use for the EZ-Lube hubs. What is recommended?

1995 Dodge Dakota V-8
2011 Flagstaff T12RB
Gary says to use the $2 tube NOT the $1 tube.

On the tube it should say something like: "wheel bearing grease, HP (high pressure), high temp, use in mining industry, " etc.

Do not use "general purpose" grease.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote