Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #21
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
You'll never completely drain that tank, but there's plenty of expansion room. Chances are, the manual was written when none of those units came with a winterizing kit installed and that valve is a fairly recent addition.....which could mean anything in the last ten years at the rate things get updated. There's no need at all for antifreeze in the tank unless that's the only way you have to pump it through the system. It won't hurt anything if you drink traces of it but people do say it may taste/smell funny and it'll take a lot of fill/flush to get it all out since you can't completely drain it.
Bingo. We have a 2015/16 213 and there is no such valve. Well there was no such valve, I added one. But why would they put it under the unit. So much easier next to the pump with access from above?

Don't put antifreeze in your fw tank.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
X2

That valve allows you to pump the antifreeze out of the bottle without putting any in the FW tank. Why they would tell you to put it in the FW tank is beyond me, ESPECIALLY since they gave you the 3 way valve so you don't have to.

You seem to have 2 more hoses attached to the bottom of your tank. I'm wondering why. I would assume one could be the fill line, but what's the other one for? You should trace these lines and make sure you understand what they do.

UPDATE: Looking again, I see the one on the right doesn't really have a hose attached; I believe it's your tank drain.
x2 on the tank drain valve. As far as the other hoses, I believe the big one is the fill, the hose with the valve goes to the pump and the other small hose goes to the little air vent near the fill port.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #23

Winterizing bypass valve

Brimare57, there are several things in your question and in the answers you are receiving. First, as to the manual: Unless something has changed, the manual is generic and almost useless as to particulars for your unit. There is no unit-specific manual for your unit.
Second, yes, the little valve is for draining your tank.
Third, yes, the other valve allows you to attach a small hose to it that is long enough to come out from under the trailer and into your antifreeze bottles. I had to go to the hardware store and was lucky enough to get one that fit the valve on the first trip.
Fourth, numerous people have told you not to put antifreeze in your water tank. If you've drained the tank, as you should, there is no need to put AF in it, and if you do it, it will make your water taste funny for a long time.
Finally, do make sure that you've drained the water heater and switched the bypass valves to prevent AF from getting in there before you pump any if it through the water lines. Good luck; it really isn't hard to do and NO, doing it yourself will not void the warranty. Your salesman doesn't know what he's talking about. I would really hesitate to take his advice about anything on your camper!

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #24

Winterizing Bypass valve

PS to Above: I suspect that the only reason this valve is put under the trailer so that you have to lay down and shimmy under the trailer to attach a hose to it is because it was CHEAP to do. It is a real PIA to use, compared to having the valve inside on the water pump. I suppose we should all be grateful that Forest River at least made an effort. I can only conclude what has been said many times before: the people who build campers are not necessarily campers.

kdot
Old 09-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
PS to Above: I suspect that the only reason this valve is put under the trailer so that you have to lay down and shimmy under the trailer to attach a hose to it is because it was CHEAP to do.
My suspicion is that it is the only way to assure the tubing from the tank to the pump is winterized and not holding residual water. That outside tubing will freeze first and is not as strong as the PEX plumbing.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #26

Could be, Tom. I don't know actually.

kdot
Old 10-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #27

I was absolutely giddy after reading this posting last night to see if my camper was similarly equipped! It was too dark to see when I read it, but I went out there first thing this morning and sure enough it is there! I am beyond excited! Now it will winterize as easily as did my truck campers in the past. It just went from a 45 minute job to a 15 minute job. Now I won't be as reluctant to dewinterize it for weekend trips!

YEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWW!
ptchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #28

For me...anything above the flow of the fresh water tank is a bonus....i installed mine, myself within the cabinet ...a real pita....but it is done.....for this reason i suspect FR took the after tank version.....not bad, but not great....so im pretty pleased they monitor their issues in their own way.

Hey...if you cant wiggle and jiggle you own camper, your at risk for an unexpected surprise.

D-mo
Old 10-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchap View Post
I was absolutely giddy after reading this posting last night to see if my camper was similarly equipped! It was too dark to see when I read it, but I went out there first thing this morning and sure enough it is there! I am beyond excited! Now it will winterize as easily as did my truck campers in the past. It just went from a 45 minute job to a 15 minute job. Now I won't be as reluctant to dewinterize it for weekend trips!

YEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWW!
I felt the same way.
Brimare57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #30

I am excited about this as well - getting ready to winterize and had never really considered what all the valves down there were for!

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
I am excited about this as well - getting ready to winterize and had never really considered what all the valves down there were for!
Must have been a right fine PDI.....
Old 10-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Must have been a right fine PDI.....
Well that's because only the dealer can winterize under warranty, right?

It's such an improvement from my last trailer that I never even thought about a drain/bypass until now. That one didn't even have a drain at the bottom of the fresh water tank. Dumping antifreeze in the tank was the only way to winterize without mods.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #33
OYO

Ha! Thanks to the OP, I just discovered I have one of these on my 2016 A213HW.

Oh well. I think I'll continue to use the one I added in the cabinet next to the pump.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
Ha! Thanks to the OP, I just discovered I have one of these on my 2016 A213HW.

Oh well. I think I'll continue to use the one I added in the cabinet next to the pump.
Don't you love it when that happens?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #35

Did I Goof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Absolutely, positively under ANY circumstances do NOT add RV antifreeze to the FW tank, you will smell and possible taste it for a long time.
My camper has the same system as the OP. I just winterized it. It was a breeze. The problem is, that valve only has two positions. If I leave it in the "sucking AF from the bottle" position I'm afraid my AF will all drain out. So I put it back into the "sucking water from the FW tank" position. I'm afraid that if I accidentally open a faucet the AF is going to drain back into my FW tank. Should I just open the valve so that it drains out onto the ground if that happens?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #36

There are check valves installed. It shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
There are check valves installed. It shouldn't be an issue.
Do you mean backflow prevention valves?

My initial thought on Kilgore's question was that drainage of antifreeze onto the ground would not be a problem winterization-wise, because drainage due to gravity would take any water along with it, leaving the lines empty and thus not subject to freezing.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
Do you mean backflow prevention valves?

My initial thought on Kilgore's question was that drainage of antifreeze onto the ground would not be a problem winterization-wise, because drainage due to gravity would take any water along with it, leaving the lines empty and thus not subject to freezing.
I don't believe there would be any drainage (or not enough to worry about). I'm not completely positive about the antifreeze inlet..I'm assuming it's like the city water connection. On the city water, there should be a spring loaded valve to keep the water pump from shooting water out that connection (there may be one on the antifreeze port as well). There is also an internal one in the water pump to keep city water out of the tank.

I hadn't thought of it like you but, the draining of a winterized line should not hurt anything for the reason you stated.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #39

Does anyone know what size tubing will fit on the valve. My guess would 1/2" ID
Brimare57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimare57 View Post
Does anyone know what size tubing will fit on the valve. My guess would 1/2" ID
Correct, Pex type with some Shark Bite fittings, buy some extra and carry them in the trailer at all times.

Tags
bypass, winter, winterize