Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Winterizing questions

I have a 2016 Forest River Viking Legend V12RB A-Frame that I bought used this summer and will be winterizing in a couple of weeks.

I have read through all of the winterizing procedures and tips found on this forum and other places on the internet. I understand all the basic winterizing principles with the low point drains, bypassing the hot water heater, removing the sacrificial anode rod, blowing compressed air through the city water connection, and then pumping RV antifreeze through the lines until it is pink through all the faucets, etc. However, I still have a couple of questions.

The 27 gallon fresh water tank under the trailer has a bulge in the bottom, while the outlet is on the side. Therefore the fresh water tank never completely empties (who designs these things?). I would assume there probably is 2-3 gallons of water left in the bottom. I would assume it is safe to leave the drain open and just let the 2-3 gallons of water stay in the tank and freeze, as there is plenty of expansion space and that there will be no harm.

The line from the fresh water tank and the city water connection runs in a hidden space behind the sink area. How does the city water connection connect into the fresh water line from the tank? Is there any thing that has to be done here to winterize the city water connection?

I see talk of a water filter. I don't "think" have have a water filter anywhere. At least it is not in plain sight. What I do have is a small metal screen filter in a small, clear, bowl right before the pump. I would assume since this is just a metal screen filter, that it can stay in line and the RV antifreeze should not harm it.

What I do have, I think, is for a place to suck RV antifreeze directly from the jug, is a 3 way valve with a short piece of hose on it immediately before the screen and pump. Seems kind of convenient, as I can place the jug on the floor of this space and suck right out of the jug.

Finally, the sink drain. On the underside of the sink is a bowl looking thing, but is not a normal p-trap like in a house. Is this some sort of compact trap of some kind? My thought is to initially take the shop vac to it to empty of any water, and when pink comes through the faucet, it will fill this little bowl.

Any thing that I missed?
Old 10-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #2

No...not really...as for the pump it sounds like you ...or someone has bypassed the fresh water tank to pump rv antifreeze into your plumbing.
I have the same system....no issues involved...insert and run...great little bypass that saves time.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post

The 27 gallon fresh water tank under the trailer has a bulge in the bottom, while the outlet is on the side. Therefore the fresh water tank never completely empties (who designs these things?). I would assume there probably is 2-3 gallons of water left in the bottom. I would assume it is safe to leave the drain open and just let the 2-3 gallons of water stay in the tank and freeze, as there is plenty of expansion space and that there will be no harm.A few gallons in the tank won't hurt, as you said room for expansion

The line from the fresh water tank and the city water connection runs in a hidden space behind the sink area. How does the city water connection connect into the fresh water line from the tank? Is there any thing that has to be done here to winterize the city water connection?The city water connection does not fill the water tank, it only pressurizes the system, any of that water will blow out

I see talk of a water filter. I don't "think" have have a water filter anywhere. At least it is not in plain sight. What I do have is a small metal screen filter in a small, clear, bowl right before the pump. I would assume since this is just a metal screen filter, that it can stay in line and the RV antifreeze should not harm it.You should have a small sediment filter right before the water pump, it has a screen filter with a small clear screw on cap, just make sure to empty it after blowing if any water in it

Finally, the sink drain. On the underside of the sink is a bowl looking thing, but is not a normal p-trap like in a house. Is this some sort of compact trap of some kind? My thought is to initially take the shop vac to it to empty of any water, and when pink comes through the faucet, it will fill this little bowl.If you are blowing antifreeze through the lines when you run the sink it will fill that trap

Any thing that I missed?
Dont forget about the outside shower, I remove the head then open each valve to drain
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
OYO

RE City water line: post #5 in this thread
(http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-94058.html)

has advice on dealing with the line between the camper wall and the check valve. I'm not sure it's necessary, but it's easy to do and you've probably heard of "better safe ....."
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter