Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #1

3rd AC and Condensation

I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble with condensation in warmer weather, particularly with a 3rd, middle unit and what solutions you might have found.

Thanks in advance.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:01 AM   #2

Change the fan speed to low, makes unit run slower and for a longer period of time. This allows time for the ac to dehumidify your camper. This trouble is caused by cooling too quickly, and not removing the moisture from our wonderful humid southern climate. My last Keystone had a larger main AC and would cool too fast to allow time to lower the humidity. By slowing down the fan speed, it would cause it to dehumidify the camper and increase the comfort inside.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

These units fan speed from high to low is only a difference of 50 rpm

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #4

Condensation

This is our 2nd unit with ducted AC and we had no trouble with the other unit in hot weather and I'm not seeing a lot of response here which tells me its not a problem that we should be seeing.

Condensation can be a problem when its cold outside as the condensation would form as cold air is warmed inside the RV. But it should not be a problem with water dripping from the light fixtures and return air vents when its 90 degrees outside and the AC is running, at least in my experience. I was wondering if anyone here has had that problem with a Trilogy 5th wheel or any RV running the AC in the summer.

Thanks,
Old 08-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

It almost sounds like it is plugged up and not properly draining the condensation from outside which may be leaking back in...
eco2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

That may well have been a part of the problem or that the installation did not include a proper drain. But that has been addressed and proper drains (according to the dealer) have now been installed. But on a warm day we still get water dripping from air return vents and even some light fixtures.

The dealer and factory seem to be trying to convince me that this problem is something that we need to live with. We've not had this problem with previous RVs and I'm not hearing that its a problem with any of you. So I'm thinking its a problem that needs to be fixed.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

You know, Eco2011 might be on the right track.
I used to have the same issues on farm equipment with water leaking back into the cab when the drain hoses were plugged with dust or chaff. It sure wouldn't hurt to check.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #8

I'm experiencing condensation on the ceiling below the ducting run between my two ACs. I'm not familiar with your rig so I don't know if the following helps you any. My rig came with only one ducted AC, and I was not getting any air flow to the BR. The dealership tech discovered crushed ducting. The one AC couldn't cool the rig because of the damaged ducting. FR'S solution was to install a 2nd AC in the BR under warranty. A couple of weeks ago while on 30a service and only running the original AC, I started to see lots of condensation under the ducting run to the BR. Took it back for service today and even the dealership said it is a serious problem that could result in damage to the ceiling and bathroom wall.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:47 AM   #9

I have 3 AC units in my Trilogy. The only time I get dripping is when the coils ice up and the AC hasn't cycled (very hot day) and when the filters were dirty. I manually cycle the ACs by going to OFF and then back on. The 5 minute timer does the unit a lot of good as it has time to thaw.

Other than that, no dripping inside. Plenty of water running off the roof for all three units.

106 here in Oklahoma. Whew... I'm melting when I go outside...

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
You know, Eco2011 might be on the right track.
I used to have the same issues on farm equipment with water leaking back into the cab when the drain hoses were plugged with dust or chaff. It sure wouldn't hurt to check.
The service dealer checked and added drains and that did seem to help. But we still have water dripping.

Thanks,
Old 08-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I'm experiencing condensation on the ceiling below the ducting run between my two ACs. I'm not familiar with your rig so I don't know if the following helps you any. My rig came with only one ducted AC, and I was not getting any air flow to the BR. The dealership tech discovered crushed ducting. The one AC couldn't cool the rig because of the damaged ducting. FR'S solution was to install a 2nd AC in the BR under warranty. A couple of weeks ago while on 30a service and only running the original AC, I started to see lots of condensation under the ducting run to the BR. Took it back for service today and even the dealership said it is a serious problem that could result in damage to the ceiling and bathroom wall.
I've had one service dealer tell me that the ducting joints are not properly sealed in an area between the middle and front AC causing the condensation and yes, I would think that would be a big problem.

Thanks for sharing that. I'd be interested in what the service dealer and factory pursue for a solution for you.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hagen View Post
I have 3 AC units in my Trilogy. The only time I get dripping is when the coils ice up and the AC hasn't cycled (very hot day) and when the filters were dirty. I manually cycle the ACs by going to OFF and then back on. The 5 minute timer does the unit a lot of good as it has time to thaw.

Other than that, no dripping inside. Plenty of water running off the roof for all three units.

106 here in Oklahoma. Whew... I'm melting when I go outside...

John
We cleaned the already clean filters before we took it in for service to be sure that wouldn't be an issue. How do you know when the ACs have iced up? Please tell me about the "5 minute timer."

What happens to us is that after the AC has been running for awhile, and just the middle unit, water starts a steady drip now from a return air vent, and continues for a few minutes after I turn the unit off. I do notice that the warmer it is the sooner it starts dripping.

Thanks,
Old 08-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #13

I can tell the unit is icing up by it starting to get warmer in the camper and the air flow from the AC seems to have diminished. If the air can't get through the coils, the unit is dirty or icing up.

There is about a 5 minute time-out for the compressor. When the unit is running and power goes off (shore power interruption or you switch it to OFF) and then back on, the compressor is prevented from running for about 5 minutes. During this time-out the fan will still run. This time seems to be adequate for the coils to defrost, at least for me.

My third AC was added when I went to the factory for warranty work. When they installed it, it was not ducted. It just dumps out the side vents in the ceiling panel.

With the 106 weather here, I am able to maintain about 80 degrees inside. Without the third AC it was getting as high as 94 inside.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #14

Then I don't think we've had icing problems.

I guess I hadn't paid any attention to the five minute delay. I know when we arrive at a CG and have power I turn on the AC(s) and they start after a much shorter delay. Maybe if they've been running and I turn them off/on it takes about 5 minutes before the start again.

Our 3rd AC was added to the existing duct work as provided from the factory. I've not kept them running long enough to see what they would do because of the condensation, but we were in Florida with temps in the high 90's and the front and rear AC held us to about 80 degrees. We're planning on some summer time in Florida and wanted the third AC to help cooling during those stays. All three of ours are 15K units.

Thanks for you help.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #15

Icing is identified by sounds from ac like it is chewing nuts and bolts followed by a gentle spitting of water in your FACE....like stated; recycle and all good. Tip; if it is really, really hot outside, start ac's EARLY and cycle them down a few steps at a time vs say; jumping from 85 outdoors to 70 on ac.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Icing is identified by sounds from ac like it is chewing nuts and bolts followed by a gentle spitting of water in your FACE....like stated; recycle and all good. Tip; if it is really, really hot outside, start ac's EARLY and cycle them down a few steps at a time vs say; jumping from 85 outdoors to 70 on ac.
Thanks, we haven't had anything like those sounds thank goodness.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #17

The insulated divider between the intake and output is a pressure fit. It can move opening up the space, allowing cold air to enter the intake. Open the filter and you can see if it is in place. Reposition it and it will cool like it is supposed too
Priusron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #18

The second dealer apparently had it right. They said they had drilled holes in the drain pan to solve the problem and it helped, but we still had dripping. I went back and they said that they would make the drain holes bigger. We haven't had any hot weather where we are since but the problem now seems to be solved.

Thanks all for your replies.