Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Al-ko brakes

Thank you to Cory at Al-ko for sending a backplate and to Avery muffler in Sonora California for installing it. The seal was compromised and grease permeated the brake shoes. The drum on the other side was also blown but a new seal was all it needed. I had new seals installed and the bearings repacked on the rear axle as well. We shall see how it goes from here on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408402375356.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	60870  
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #2

You will never get support like that from Lippert.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Tom & Gayle

I have to say lippert customer support has greatly improved.. As many of you read our post last year when our 3650 RL was only 2 months old we were on our way to Florida from Ohio, and 2 hours from our home we had a wheel bearing on the rear axle disintegrate and destroy the axle. Lippert trucked a complete new axle the same day and the dealer in Columbus had us on the road the next afternoon.
Two weeks ago, back in Ohio, I decided to pull a hub on that same axle to inspect and re lube the bearings. We put a little over 3000 miles on our trilogy this past year. I found the outer bearing rough and pitted and the bearing race was also very worn. The grease seal was also compromised with grease soaked brakes, We then put a complaint on Lippert's customer service page. Within an hour we got a call from Lippert, they sent a technician from Indiana this past week and installed 4 brand new hubs with bearings and and also 4 new backing plates with new brakes an no cost. The tech also let me keep one hub and and one backing plate with brakes he removed (that were not damaged) to have for a spare. That is what I call great service.
I am still concerned about the quality of the Chinese bearings they use. There was one other outer bearing bad on the front axle. Both on the passenger side of the unit. But supposedly according to the tech I have another year warranty on the new parts installed. So if you have lippert axles there is new hope in customer service and do check your bearings regularly ..
Tom.

Tomngayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #4

When my Trilogy was delivered, three of the four brakes were inop. The auto adjuster in one of them was apart and just rattling around inside the drum. One of them the magnet fell off when the drum was removed. The wiring was in bad shape to all of them. Lippert told me to pay for the parts up front and they would inspect them and refund the money for the parts they found warrantable.

Lippert customer service sucks. Not just a little but a whole lot. Dynamax integrated the systems, you'd think they would cover it but no such luck.

Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #5

I highly recommend the disc brakes from MOR/ryde. They stop the camper and the truck on a dime. Once you try it, you'll never go back to magnets and drums on a trailer.

MOR/ryde offers discounts during the off-season...

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes