Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

Brakes locking up

While leaving OK city Dec 23 I noticed my rt rear brake smoking. I stopped and checked it out. Made it to the next exit to Walmart parking. After removing the wheel I discovered I could not remove the drum as it was locked on. Working in 24 degree weather it took me 1 1/2 hrs to remove the nuts holding the backing plate on. I had to hold the bolt with needle nose pliers an turn the nut with a wrench as I could not get to the bold head without removing the drum. Upon removal I found the backing plate was fractured into 4 large pieces and several smaller pieces. The brake pads were fried. My DW found a trailer repair place 15 miles away. I zoomed to their location and they had a loaded Dexter backing plate. We used their shop to disassemble my backing plate and found the drum was still good. $300 dollars later and after reassembly we were back on the road. Dynamax as assured me they will reimburse me for my costs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131227_101612[1].jpg
Views:	180
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	45205   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131227_101716[1].jpg
Views:	168
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	45206  
Priusron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags